Thread: Recommended Tire Pressure ?

Question Recommended Tire Pressure ?

Just curious about tire pressures when going to a larger wheel.

Stock 18" Double spoke on the Z8 recommends:

245/45 R18 96W Front = 240kPa / 35 psi
    275/40 R18 99W Rear = 240kPa / 35 psi

Are their different recommendations for the 19" wheels / tire combo?

What are the recommendations for the 20" wheels (I assume the
    Alpina lists this on the inside the driver door sill like the rest of the Z8s)?

Also, does anyone know if you need different pressure settings if you are using
    Nitrogen? I would not think so as pressure is pressure, regardless of the gas but
    obviously, there is a difference in how each responds to temperature so... not sure?
    Best Regards,

Jeff
    61995 Silver /// Rot - Original Owner
    Z8 Club of Germany e.V. #102

I keep my 20" wheels at 36/f-38/r cold. Anywhere in the upper mid 30's should be good for a radial tire on a 3,000lb car with a large rim, but should you be at the track don't let them go over 40psi hot, you'll start to loose a bit too much grip.

The pressure is the pressure regardless of gas, as discussed elsewhere here nitrogen expands and contracts less with heat keeping the profile and pressure more consistent.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Callling an Alpina owner ---

I have the Michelin Sports on the 20 inch Alpina rims on my Z8. Can an Alpina owner pass along the recommended tire pressures for their car?
    Thanks.

The door sticker on the Alpina calls for 32 psi front and rear. I've found that running 34 front, 36 rear works best for me. At 32 psi, the car feels a bit soft.

Thanks.
    I've got 38 in the rear for the trip up north with all the baggage.

I recommend 36 and here's why...
    Having just put on brand spankin new PS2's on my Alpina, I decided to run 38 all around for the trip up. We made an intermediate stop in Mammoth for a couple of days (about 650 miles from PHX). Having checked the tire wear here, I think 38 is too much. (Mold marks and nubs on the outer 1 inch of the tires are still there but worn off the rest.) I will reduce the pressure to 36 and check again in Monterrey.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by jawz View Post
    I recommend 36 and here's why...
    Having just put on brand spankin new PS2's on my Alpina, I decided to run 38 all around for the trip up. We made an intermediate stop in Mammoth for a couple of days (about 650 miles from PHX). Having checked the tire wear here, I think 38 is too much. (Mold marks and nubs on the outer 1 inch of the tires are still there but worn off the rest.) I will reduce the pressure to 36 and check again in Monterrey.
    Also, we should all keep in mind that if we inflate our tires properly we won't need any more foreign oil. Heck, we may never need to fill up the Z8 tank again.
    C.A. Cardenas (AKA Dan)
    2003 (last one?) Z8 - Hellrot / Sport Rot
    Original Owner - Munich Tourist Delivery
    -- Others --
    1988 M6 - 32K mi. - Original Owner
    1989 DINAN 750iL - 73K mi. - Original Owner
    1998 M3 - 63K mi. - Original Owner
    2015 X5 (F15) Diesel - Daily Driver