Thread: What came with the car originally?

Z8 Novice

Question What came with the car originally?

I recently purchased a used 2001 Z8. I notice in the owners manual that a tool kit, first aid kit and warning triangle are shown with the car. Unfortunately my car has none of these.

Were these cars equiped with all of these in the first place? I have asked my local dealer to order these for my car and have run into a couple of issues.

The dealer tells me that he can not order the warning triangle. According to him this part (71 60 095 457) is not available. His thought is that these were only in European cars and never available in the US. He suggested the standard accessory triangle but it does not fit in the space. It is incoeect for the car.

The tool kit arrived with most of the tools. I have looked at the picture on page 128 of the manual (on this site) for help in putting the kit together. I am still missing the tool that goes in the extreme left compatment of the pouch and the tools that goes into the 'u' shapped compartment above the other. Anyone know what goes into these spots?

What originally came with the Z8?

Sorry for the delay in replying, but the car was in storage. This is an 02 USA car.

In the trunk
    *First Aid Kit in a black pouch
    *Small Roll Up Tool Kit with silk gloves
    *Battery Charger in a black pouch
    *Cup Holder
    *Softtop Toneau Cover and black canvas/vinyl case
    *Seatback Windbreaker and black canvas/vinyl case
    *Hardtop Roof metal stand in cardboard box (not shown)
    *Hardtop polyester cover (not shown) with a black canvas/vinyl case.
    *Z8 badged soft car cover (not shown)
    *Soft top rear window protector (not shown)
    *Verizon phone (not shown)

*Owner's manual. (in the glove box)

*'The Book'. (delivered several months later)

In answer to your original question there is no triangle for USA cars.

Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Z8 Novice

Smile

Thanks for taking the time to put the picture together! It is exactly what I was looking for.

I have now purchased the tool and first aid kits (tho I did not get the gloves!). One pocket in the tool kit appears to be empty in the picture and I have not been able to fugure out what it is for. The small semi-circular pocket above the others is shown as containing something on page 128 of the Z8 PDF manual on your site. I think it may be for a spare bulb....

I did not know the battery battery charger was included on delivery, I will consider picking one up.

With the exception of the hard top I have the other accessories. I am not not sure I need one as I bought the car because it is a convertable.

FYI I have looked into the warning triangle and they are a common stock item in Europe. It seems they do not meet spec for the US market. I may pick one up on my next trip, it will fit nicely in the space provided.

Regarding the triangle...

Did you ever purchase the triangle to fit into this space? If so, from whom and could it be done via the internet or provide an phone / address?

Jeff

Z8 Novice

The Triangle Is A Standard In Europe...

I did buy one when visitng Norway last fall (and it fits perfectly). I had also checked on the part when traveling in Germany. What I found is that the triangle is a European standard (71 60 1 095 457) used in a number of BMW models. The parts system in Germany showed 'thousands' available. The dealer I was visiting just did not happen to have one in stock at the moment, therefore the purchase when in Norway. By the way the US parts system shows the part but lists it as 'no longer available', well it never was in the US.

I did try briefly to use the internet to find the part however I only found sites in German and could not navigate them (I have enough trouble with English). Since I travel to northern europe at least once a year it was easier for me to wait and get one there. I would offer to pick up a few more on my next trip, this summer/fall, if there is interest. If I remember correctly the part runs $40-50 US.

When you are in Europe...

I would like for you to pick one up for me if possible. Maybe others would like one to. but I would definitely like one. The trunk section seems incomplete in appearance without it in place. Let me know via email the next trip you take and we can arrange payment !! Thanks !

Jeff
    [email protected]

Z8 Novice

Warning Triangle

Hi Jeff,

I found this one online at leatherZ. Is it the same?
    LeartherZ

Art

Not sure if....

it is the same one or not but it would seem odd to me that BMW AG would have wanted to put the ''Blue" case in the Z8, considering everything else is in black. I wonder if this is an aftermarket reproduction of the same piece and not actually made by BMW AG? Also, do you think this one would "clip" in like the one in the Z8 is supposed to, I think?

Jeff
    Z8doc

Z8 Novice

Looks like it...

I pulled the one I bought in Europe out of my car. It looks to be the same as the one Art found at leatherZ. The color is the same blue and the case looks about right, though I can't tell from the picture. You may want to check on the part number referenced in my prior post.

Great ! I'll try to confirm the part number...

and if so, I will go ahead and order it. Thanks so much --

Z8doc

Z8 Novice

They were only blue in Europe too.......

On my Z8 (European Version) here in Switzerland I have the original blue one. BMW never sold a black one, it is the same piece on every model. (I also have a 7-Series and a Z4 and they both have a blue one).

Z8 Novice
    Hello Happy Z8 owners:

First of all I would like to thank you all for these very informative chat rooms, as I romanced the idea of buying a Z8 these CR"s definitely help me make the decision, Thanks!

I just bought a 2000 Z8 and the dealer lost misplaced the owner's books and leather case. I am trying to get all the books and case but the dealer does not know what was originally supplied and waht kind of leather case it came with.

Can anybody provide me with a list of the different books that came with the car and a description of the leather case (zipper vs. fold) (branded z8?)?

Appreciate any help . Thanks!

Sport Button On - DSC Off Dogsbreath's Avatar
    RBM - Welcome !!

Are you looking for the manuals or 'The Book' that came with the car ?

The book was often not supplied - but I got mine through Bill Stuart - who's contact info is on this website. Failing that, I have a spare 'Book' which I would considering selling, but the serial # in the book matches the serial # from the car if you can get it from Bill. The book sells for about 700 dollars on Ebay when it comes available

Dave P

The 8"x6" owner's manual that usually resides in the glove box was slightly different for the three model years, because of detail changes to the cars. Each year had the date printed on the front cover of the main manual, and within the small leather folder were three other small booklets, a Service & Warranty booklet to get service stamps done, a Radio & Navigation manual and a BMW Dealer locator booket. (NB: I think you can still order these through BMW, and also there is a downloadable PDF version here.)

The larger "Book" which was distributed later thru customer service can be seen here.
    Andrew Macpherson

Z8 Novice
    Dogs & Mac:

Thanks for the responses. I am missing all owner manual information/books. The owner manual, radio manual, service warranty manual, leather case and any other book that may have been provided such as navigation/phone etc..

I was told that I could order it at BMW parts but needed to know exactly what books/manuals. Also for the owner manual's leather case I needed to be specific regarding style (zipper case vs. flap over).

Thanks for the tip on the Z8 production book, I will contact them.

Once again thanks for the help,

RB

Z8 Novice
    Forgot to mention,

My car's VIN is AH60169, Red/Crema 2000. If for any chance of fate anybody comes across the z8 "owner production book", i would gladly buy it.

Sounds like a reward for a lost pet!

Sport Button On - DSC Off
    The red triangle is made of lead which cannot be imported into the US, that is why it is absent.
    Zed0037

#60217 Silver/Crema
    Built 07/2000

#60037 Silver / Red
    Built 01/2000 (Former Owner)

Daily Driver
    2014 Range Rover Sport Supercharged
    All blacked out, 21" wheels, chipped to 560hp

Hobby car 2009 Z4, dual exhaust, 19" M3 wheels

Question on this older thread: Where is the battery charger kit stored?
    I'm fairly sure it wasn't included with my car but wanted to ask the question before I went looking for one -- just in case it's in some secret hiding spot.
    I'd like to get an original one for completeness of the car, but I'm also likely to get a more-modern tender for actual use.
    -Jimmy C

The tenders for the US cars are made here in the US by Deltran and badged for BMW, so they aren't really integral to the car, they were just added by BMW NA when the cars arrived here.

This is our unit without the BMW badge, for $65.

Or you can buy the same unit with the BMW badging for $4 more at Bavarian Autosport, I've been using these ones for 10 years, and they work fine, but they also have a life cycle, I'm now on my second one.
    Andrew Macpherson

Thanks for the info Andrew. I just ordered the unit from Bavarian.
    -Jimmy C

Z8 Novice

Motorola Timeport cell phone from a 2002 Z8

This is how it looked when new...

Last edited by macfly; November 9th 2012 at 17:14.