Thread: Looks like the rumored BMW Z9 is just the next Z4 afterall.

Looks like the rumored BMW Z9 is just the next Z4 afterall.

According to Car & Driver, the next 2 seater, SL fighting folding tin-top roadster is going to be called the Z9. It will be built on the 6 series platform, but being a 2 seater will be much lighter than the 6, hopefully somewhere near 3,000lb.

I was so blown away by the insane joy of the wailing V10 in the almost 4,000lb M6 Convertible we drove down to the Mille Miglia that I'm sure the Z9 with this motor and the M Divisions tweaks will be my next BMW, and it will certainly be one I'll do European delivery on!

However it looks like I'll have to wait till around 2010 to get the Z9M, but I'm sure it'll be worth the wait!

(nb: the car shown here turns out to be the next Z4 - keep scrolling down).

Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

I too am a little more interested after a week with the S85. Can you image even more power in a lighter-weight vehicle. The dual-clutch gearbox should also operate much more smoothly than SMG, even in D mode. The eight-speed auto even sounds great. Add it all up and the Z8 successor (whatever number they give it) should quite a ride!

Let's just hope they base the design on the well received CS and not the current flame-out stuff.
    Last edited by thegunguy; May 30th 2007 at 14:50.
    thegunguy

Sport Button On - DSC Off Z8-NL's Avatar
    NO DOUBT ENGINE WILL BE ok BUT WHAT AN UGLY CREATION IS THIS!!

I'm not really expecting the final car to look like this. I think BMW know that they have to make it beautiful, the terrible sales figures of the Z4 over the Z3 have clearly illustrated that people by and large don't like ugly cars, no matter how good they are. Also in about 2010/11 the next generation of Mercedes' SL is due, so BMW shouldn't want to be going up against this car's biggest competitor with people still talking about their 'controversial' design.
    Andrew Macpherson

Agreed, the design in the photo is not so great, but as Andrew said, it's merely an artist's concept (read guess).

All signs seem to point to the CS as the next design "language" for BMW, much the way the original Z9 concept in 1999 set the current language that first appeared on the E65 7. Personally, I'm really excited about the promise of the CS, or maybe I'm just excited about anything better than the "flame-out" designs, even though they are looking better to me (see the 3 coupe).

As such, I believe the Z8/9/10 (whatever) will build on the CS.

Last edited by thegunguy; May 31st 2007 at 19:08.
    thegunguy

I really do like the CS style, the more I see it the more I like it, unlike the Z4, 5, 6 & 7 series cars, which all look hideous to me - I do hope that the CS look will be the new direction.
    Andrew Macpherson

As far as the next 2 seater I am convinced it will be the Z4 successor - despite American magazines are still talking about Z9 (see picture below). The softtop is camouflaged, most likely the Z4 will come as a hardtop convertible.

Manufacturing will be in Regensburg, Germany (where the 3 series convertible is made as well), the X3 will be moved to BMW Spartanburg instead. The X3 series is currently assembled in Graz, Austria by Magna. Link

I wished there would be coming a true BMW sportscar, powered by the phantastic V10. However I' m not very optimistic.

Food for Thought:

Great photo comparison, and I agree that the black car that we've seen a few times in recent months is definitely the next Z4.

At the same time, I also believe the Z8,9,10 (again, many names - same car) is in development. However, I have little to base this on other than the rumors in the press, etc. We did try to get some info an the car when at M a few weeks back, but they would only comment that they are not involved in new model development, only refinement after a model is released. At the same time, the soil seems to be fertile for new models like the Z8/9/10 as BMW seems to be racing to release a slew of new models in the coming years to keep up with their neighbors in Stuttgart.
    thegunguy

Indeed, many names, many speculations ...

Link Link

Z8 Novice
    Anybody want to take a guess on the price tag for the Z9?
    Dealer mark-up? Production #s?
    After the 8, it might be fun to have us see what the 8 owners' forecast is.
    macfly, maybe you could set us up with some type of site similar to the 'what color is your Z8' or 'what's your second car'. We can work on our Nostradamus skills. Okay, I'll work on my spelling skills, if you work on that. Why do you think BMW and Z8 work for me?
    That Touareg?(sp) thingy is so not in my spelling comfort zone - and I have a degree in polymer chemistry. Nost....whatever, above, is also a stretch. I'm thinking that maybe there is a reason at to why 'God' is so easy to spell..
    Anyway, I think it would be fun to see what we predict about this release. And I'm not getting religious on anybody - just too lazy to look up Nostra's spelling.

About all we can predict is what the rumors already tell us. The main source of information is that the car is intended to be a direct competitor to the SL, no longer a special production car. So, look for pricing in line with the SL's range of models.
    thegunguy

Some more Z speculation from Germany....

Thegunguy pointed me to these pix on a site in Germany - looks kinda like the body scooping on that black car above, but who knows what it is, beyond being another fanciful flight of fantasy?

Andrew Macpherson

Sport Button On
    the last one looks pretty much like a z4 coupe with aftermarket parts to me...

The second pic shows a M6 in red.

The latest in artist concepts. Hmmm, now what recently retired 600hp car does that remind me of?

Last edited by thegunguy; June 9th 2007 at 01:14.
    thegunguy

Ohhhh, now I know they made that one for me!

That also looks very like the still born mid-engined M car that was the dream of Prof Bruhnke, the now departed head of the M Division.

I'd be surprised to see BMW put the development budget into such a car in these days of rising gas prices and declining dollars, especially when the SL segment is likely to return far greater return on investment with a car that can take 4 or more different motors for different markets & pricepoints.
    Andrew Macpherson

Agreed. I think this is nothing more than day-dreaming, but with an upgraded S85 (say 550hp+), it could be a contender for the super-car crown. Although, I have laugh at a drawing that seems to have the mission of depicting BMW's version of the Carrera GT.

Last edited by thegunguy; June 9th 2007 at 06:41.
    thegunguy

Z8Mania
    IMHO on that drawing

front= Shanghai surprise CS coupe grill + F430 fenders
    Side= Carrera GT
    Rear side=F430 spider
    Rear= R8

Over all result= not bad at all. If this resulted in a car that drove really well and blew away the competition and performed lets say like a F430 at 1/2 the price people would overlook some of the derivative styling in those pics.

That said- while Id love to see BMW build a super mid engine sports car, I do not think they will for basically the reasons Andrew says but I do not think its mainly due to gas prices. I think its more due to brand perception and BMW has not really been a mid engine sports car brand. I suspect they will be watching the R8 very carefully to see how its sales do. The initial reviews of the R8 are quite good!

Exactly as predicted by Bummsbass....

Here is the news on what we've been seeing - it is the new Z4 to be built in Regensburg, Germany, alongside the similar folding tin-top 3 series. Spartenberg will be confined to the SUV/SAV X series 3/5/7 etc trucks to try to keep costs down, and numbers up in the dollar weak world market.

The current Z4 has been a terrible seller for BMW, but that is only because it is ugly, not because it is bad. I was really impressed with the Z4M when I drove it - it is really great fun to drive. If they just understood that a two seater sportscar has to hit a chord of beauty, and not be 'challenging' on the eyes.

News and pix from www.motorauthority.com

The low value of the US dollar against the Euro has forced BMW to change its production plans for the next-generation Z4 sports car. At the moment, the Z4 is built alongside the X5 in Spartanburg, South Carolina, but it?s expected the new model, due in 2010, will be built at BMW?s Regensburg plant in Germany according to a report by the German Press Association. The company has decided it will build only SUVs and crossovers in USA, where sales are relatively high for such vehicles anyway.

There are a few other factors that have also played into this decision. Firstly, the new X3 is currently built by Magna Steyr in Austria but production will also move to the Spartanburg plant sometime in 2010. In addition, BMW?s forthcoming X6 crossover will also be built at the South Carolina plant, making it a hub for SUV manufacturing for BMW. Building all three ?X-series? models in one location can conceivably lead to better economies of scale. In any case, CEO Norbert Reithofer has publicly stated that he wants to see production lift to 200,000 units or more (up from 105,000 in 2006) to help hedge against fluctuating exchange rates.

There are also rumors that BMW will be taking the new Z4 upmarket to better compete with the new models from Porsche and Mercedes, and buyers would expect to receive a premium ?Made in Germany? product.

Andrew Macpherson

The hood and front on the last pic are nice, but that "flame-surfaced" profile is not too appealing. Well, at least it doesn't have the crease that continues the line of the windscreen on the current Z4. Then again, like most "spy" shots, this could be very far from the actually produced car.

The headlights poking out from under the tape on the mule look promising.

On another note, have you guys seen the latest version of the Z9? Another concept based on the CS from Shanghai. Basically, it appears to be just a PS where someone lifted the roof off of the CS and shortened it, but I kind of like where this one is going...

Last edited by thegunguy; August 28th 2007 at 03:00.
    thegunguy