Thread: Audi R8

Z8 Novice

Audi R8

I would like to know what you guys think of the Audi R8?

Stunning & awesome. Looks like they got it right.

I like it. Saw one in person the other day. I quickly grabbed my camera and clicked off these shots.

I saw it had a little trouble at the 'ring, as you can see here, also the roll cage looks a little flimsy for such a car?
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Z8Mania
    Never been an Audi fan but this one seems to be all-right. I think if someone told me they loved the car and wanted one ASAP I would advise they try to hold off for a year to get a better sense of when will the higher power version come out and also I suspect the first year will carry quite a premium which will evaporate. Also they are talking about an R8 roadster. For we Z8ers, the R8 might be an interesting stable mate in a numerical sense: Z8, R8, next youll have to find the old M8 prototype in BMWs vaults and sneak it out when no one is looking

DSC Off

I was initially really geeked up about the R8.....

......when I saw the prototype I thought it looked great....little like a Veyron to me. But after seeing the finished product...well...I'm less excited. Still looks good, but the fore and aft vents seem a bit much. And the rear bumper area seems unfinished. But I LOVE the flexiglass motor cover. 420 bhp is good..but if I was contemplating buying one, I'd definitely wait for the 500+bhp version. ...plus there is the working out the kinks thing. Overall a good start for Audi. I applaud their entrance into this space and am anxious to see what the Japanese come up with over the next 2 years.

Z8 Novice
    after having intensively tested a RS4 sedan for a whole weekend, I found the power of the naturally aspirated 4.2 V8 compared to my - slightly tweakened - RS 6 very disappointing. The car was inferior in terms of performance, roadholding and fuel consumption.

After a test drive of a Z06 Corvette I can hardly imagine that the R8, even the V10 version, will be able to match the American sports car?s performance in any discipline.

DSC Off

Motor Trend loves the R8....

....in fact in their recent testing ranked it over a 911 4.

The Z06 Corvette is certainly the performance bargain of life, and the new Z07 is pretty wild with almost 700hp from the twin s/c motor, but where are you going to use all that power? Since becoming a Lotus convert I've discovered that 200hp is quite enough so long as it is in an agile, nimble and light package. The only Porsche worth having is the GT3 or the RS version of it, and I doubt the Audi R8 will be able to hold a candle to those.
    Anyhow, lets be serious here, the Audi is really hideous (IMHO), but lets talk about the Alfa 8C.
    Andrew Macpherson

I remember seeing the concept for the Alfa last summer in Italy. Here's hoping the resurgence of Alfa keeps coming west. We could use some beautiful cars over here!

Let's compare the Z06 and the R8 in the wet...
    Last edited by thegunguy; June 21st 2007 at 13:42.
    thegunguy

Let's compare the Z06 and the R8 in the wet...
    I bet the Audi would get around wet race track quicker, but I never take any of my sportscars out in the rain! While that might have mattered to me when I lived in the UK it doesn't have much bearing now I'm in the sunshine state!
    Andrew Macpherson

What about Laguna Seca in '02? That WAS wet! (see the gallery for proof) And I (the Z8?) couldn't hold a candle to a woman in a Porsche c-4.

As for the R8, the AWD is cheating, not even in the same class. Not to mention Fugly!

It sounds like a great car if you want comfort and refinement with a dose of rarity. Certainly not an "edgy" pure sports car like the lotus/zo6/GT3/stradale etc. But then again, I haven't driven it.