Thread: OT: The best you can do to a Z4 Coup?...

OT: The best you can do to a Z4 Coup?...

Z8 driving is not everything, as Andrew repeatedly demonstrated with his Lotus...

Now, I have to admit that I never had an undisturbed relation to the famous dent in the door of a Z4, which can hardly be embellished by using precise kicks with heavy shoes.
    However, the Coup? comes with this sugarsweet top, a good reason to ignore the doors a bit.
    Notwithstanding, a stock Coup? is hardly in a state you want to drive around with. Hence the following evolution... :wink:
    First you take...

a Z4 Coup? 3.0Si with M suspension and Xenon lights...

then you run it in for 2,000 kms, following all rules...

and then, you hand it over to Bonk Motorsport, one of the most famous racing team of the VLN, the endurance racing series taking place on the Nurburgring.

Best regards, Dieter

There, the guys approach the Coup? with great love and care...

the interior looked a bit boring, so it was removed...

Also the wild growing plants on the roof were eliminated...

what do you need all this stuff for...

Insalata di cable con tutti frutti...:w
    Best regards, Dieter

Some drivers should be in jail, therefore a cage was mounted:

nobody will get out of there...

The pile of redundant parts is steadily growing, including the air condition...

Best regards, Dieter

We are not barbarians (almost wrote Bavarians), hence the car is sprayed on the inside:

Slicks and semi slicks on ATS rims are examined

first seating exercise...

Getting in and out needs to be trained...

Bilstein produced a suspension especially for this car, based on the one for the E46 and E90. Before you swamp me with questions: it is a racing setup, don't even dream about driving something like this on regular roads, if you care in any way for your teeth...

Looks quite cozy already, perhaps we should change the color of the blanket for the passenger...

Safety first, and this cage is certainly safe.

emergency switches...

Best regards, Dieter

Yesterday we finally saw the rollout during a driver's training on the Nordschleife.
    Unfortunately, the suspension is still too high and needs some adjustment, that's the reason for the slight SUV look. However, this is not really important with regard to the driving experience.

well, getting in is not easier once it is finished...
    (fortunately, I did most of the photos, I didn't look any better initially)

the first laps...

Happy faces, the first laps on semi slicks went well.

Best regards, Dieter

back into the pits

semis look good after 9 laps on the Nordschleife:

changing to slicks

Changing to more appropriate outfit...
    Last escape routes are closed...

and out into the training traffic...

The driving experience? Sorry, but my English is probably not good enough to find the write words.
    But I can say that it is unbelievably good.
    Next week we will adjust the suspension to proper height. Next Saturday we will do the final setup.
    During the first laps we were about 30 secs slower than the top people in our class, most of this can be attributed to the drivers I guess.
    If everything works out well we will then participate in the first endurance race one week later.

We taped the first semi slick laps. Unfortunately, the laps on slicks were not taped. They were significantly faster of course.

one lap (approx. 52MB)

Before anybody complains:
    Yes, this is crazy, however, what can we do...
    Last edited by dwz8; April 29th 2007 at 08:06. Reason: corrected link to video
    Best regards, Dieter

Wow!! Now that is a track car. Congrats, and thanks for all the details....keep it coming.

What fun!! Congratulations on a fab new toy, it really looks wonderful, and good luck in the race next week, please add loads more pix, and video too!!

Just watched the video, what a fantastic sound it makes, it really sounds like a squadron of Stukas in full dive, I LOVE IT!!

(ps: we have had much discussion here about Z8 swaybars, which ones did you use on your Nowack car?)
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Andrew, I went with the Dinan ones, however, there are good ones made (non-adjustable) by H&R here in Germany.
    Best regards, Dieter

Do you have idea if the H&R are stiffer than he Dinan ones on full stiffness?
    Andrew Macpherson

Quote Originally Posted by macfly View Post
    Do you have idea if the H&R are stiffer than he Dinan ones on full stiffness?
    they have a larger diameter, the driving experience is similar. I think they are a bit stiffer than the Dinan ones.
    Best regards, Dieter

Revisiting after a long time...

For those of you interested in racing, here is a bit of a summary what we have done over the past 2 years.

We raced the car built in 2007 (described above) quite successfully in two racing series on the Nurburgring: the BF Goodrich Endurance Championship, and the BMW Racing Challenge Nurburgring. We scored a couple of wins in class V5, which is a production car class with certain mods allowed. Engine must stay stock though.

A couple of pics of the car as it looks like these days:

Around the end of 2007 I had the idea to build a true racecar on the basis of the Z4. As said, the car above is close to production, but the new car was built in a very different way.
    We started with a naked body from BMW Motorsports:

Only parts were used on this car that have been made for racing. The outer shell is from carbon fibre. Suspensions, brakes, diff are all high-tech parts. A sequential gearbox is used to get the 400 horses of the 3.0 Liter S50 engine to the wheels. At a weight of 1.150 kgs this is a rather fast car.

Some pics:

Here is a video of the first two laps of the last race: click (160 MB)

More info can be found at www.zracingteam.de, but not everything has been translated to English yet, sorry.
    Best regards, Dieter

Last year we also participated in the famous 24h race at the Nurburgring, and we managed to come in second in class.

Now we are preparing for this year's 24h race, which will take place on May 23/24 at the Nurburgring. About 180 cars will be racing, driven by many famous drivers on the top cars. Among those are F1 drivers as well as winners of Le Mans and other famous races.
    Of course, we will be more in the rear half of the grid, but it will be fun. Our first goal is to finish the race, which is quite a challenge over 24 hours. Then we will see what happens.

For those of you interested, there will be a live ticker and webcam from the pits on our website. Unfortunately, we can't translate everything to English, but I guess you will get the sense anyway.
    Best regards, Dieter

Wow, that is a great tale, and a great accomplishment, well done! Please do post the live links, I'd love to follow along - and good luck!!
    Andrew Macpherson

Yes, thanks for the update on the car and your racing progress. Looking forward to seeing some of the 24hr feed. Good luck, be safe and have fun!

...Amazing footage from the two laps also. Is that with the 400hp motor? How many laps are the tires good for?

Quote Originally Posted by Norcal View Post
    ...Amazing footage from the two laps also. Is that with the 400hp motor? How many laps are the tires good for?
    Those laps were with the big Z4. Tires are good for about 500 kms. We could use a softer rubber, however, already now this car burns money faster than anything else I do.
    Best regards, Dieter

Just found this thread. We are still racing the Z4s this season:

The "big" Z4 in the specials class:

and the other Z4 in the production car class:

We used the latter one in the 24h race again in May.

We had a good race without big problems, and came in 4th in class.

For those interested, here is the start and the first two laps of the race. Remember, the race is 24h long, so you don't want to throw away the car in the first lap.

click for video

Enjoy.
    Best regards, Dieter

Indeed, bravo!!

Loads of the earlier image have disappeared?
    Andrew Macpherson

Z8Mania
    Well done!

Quote Originally Posted by macfly View Post
    Indeed, bravo!!

Loads of the earlier image have disappeared?
    I can update those images.
    Best regards, Dieter

Thanks so much!! :-) The vid is great too, and so is your result, third in class!!
    Andrew Macpherson

Cheers, Dieter! Thanks for living my dream.
    thegunguy