Thread: Does your Z8 burn oil?

Z8 Novice

Does your Z8 burn oil?

Hi All,

I have a 2001 Silver/Black Z8 with a tad over 20000 miles. I've been putting about 3k miles a year on it, just weekend driving. The last two years, it's been burning a quart of oil every 3k miles or so (so I add a quart once a year). Is this typical? I don't drive the car very hard.

Thanks,
    Mark

The S62 motor is an bit of an oil burner, some units more than others, so that doesn't sound outside the realms of normality. The earlier cars had a slightly different rings & liners if my memory is correct. BMW made a bunch of changes in 01 including VANOS, and cylinder linings, as well as changing the required/recommended oil, and this lowered oil consumption on the later cars.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Mine was pretty "Thirsty" the first year or two,

but seems to have quieted down (26k mi now)

Mark,

a quart per 3k miles is close to nothing, and certainly normal consumption.
    Depending on how you drive the engine, you may need to feel up up to a quart each 700 miles (~1,000 kms).

Also, it is typical that the engine consumes a bit of oil during its run in period, and it very often needs less afterwards.

Nothing to worry about other than driving only 3 k miles in 6 years, compared to the 50,000 miles that I crossed this week after driving it for 4.5 years. You missed a lot of fun.
    Last edited by dwz8; April 5th 2007 at 05:42.
    Best regards, Dieter

Z8 Novice
    Thanks for the responses everyone. And yes, I think I've been a little lax in how much I've been driving.

The Z8 was my first convertible and first sports car. And even after owning it several years now, it still brings an a huge grin to my face every time I drive it.

Mark