Thread: Any one having an issue with rear view mirror

DSC Off

Any one having an issue with rear view mirror

Mine was dripping water when it was in for a new stereo system and now it is foggy ertc?

Thanks much! Jim 2000 Z8 silver/black Eisenhaus race, chrome roll bars and now an amazing Alpine sound system with Ipod in glove box.

Sport Button On - DSC Off Dogsbreath's Avatar
    Hey Jim

I believe you are describing a well known problem. Go to 'Recalls and Problems' and see GunGuy's link.

Dave P

As mentioned by Dave, I had the same issue, and I know of about four others who have too. BMW replaced my mirror at no cost out of warranty.
    thegunguy

Sport Button On - DSC Off FWK-Z8's Avatar
    Z84.6Jim - that wasn't "water" dripping out of your rearview mirror, but most likely Dimethylacetamide (DMAC). I did a search on liquid crystal displays. They are a mix of rod-shaped polymers, usually dsipersed in DMAC. It is a very good solvent and will probably craze thos shiny plastic interior panels as it is a solvent for them - or leave small rings where it has attacked the surface. DMAC can enter the body by direct absorbtion through the skin. It is not particularly poisonous in the small quantities that could be released by your mirror.

It is not volatile, but it is very water soluble. I would wear gloves and rinse areas where the "water" was present, and thoroughly dry the area (if a mix of DMAC and water is left to evaporate, the water will evaporate more readily than the DMAC and you will hve a DMAC rich residue). In large quanities, DMAC has the piquant aroma of rotting fish.

DSC Off

be careful of that liquid

Thanks every one.....what happened is that the mirror got banged when they were putting in the new stereo system and that is usually how it happens according to my guys at Main Line BMW......most importantly, do not let the chemical drip on any thing as it will mar the center console big time. Having it replaced at no charge on
    Thursday..........thank you all for the great input.....weather is beautiful in Philadelphia....Jim

Great new info, I wish we could get a simple, fluid free two way mirror instead of this crzy gizmo. I noticed that a loaner X3 I had a while ago had the same looking piece, but it was an old fashioned two way mirror that you activated with the red knob, I wonder if this would fit our cars?
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

DSC Off

Smile took 20 minutes to replace the mirror NO CHARGE

BMW of the Main Line......Andy Dormer head of service and one of the greatest guys ever......any questions on any thing call him and use my name......he is one my closest pals

484-434-2657

Jim Trachtenberg
    Chairman
    TRACEY Inc. now in our 101st year
    910-950 Fairmount Avenue
    Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19123
    Voice-215-765-5700
    Fax-215-765-5749
    [email protected]
    traceyinc.com

Sport Button On - DSC Off FWK-Z8's Avatar

Almost all BMW mirrors are interchangable

I believe that almost all BMW mirrors use the same windshield mount - round with a grooved traingular projection that engages springs on the mount -- rotate the mirror post about 30 degrees to remove it. If this is the case on the Z8 - I'll look at mine, you can put almost any BMW mirror on the car. There is also someone who makes an adapter to allow the slide-on type or mirror most US cars use. This was done for the Z3 because the mirror is too low for some drivers and interferes with their field of vision. The adapter allows the use of mirrors with two ball joints on the post that allows th whole miror to be moved upwards.