Thread: Drivers door window

Sport Button On - DSC Off

Drivers door window

I have noticed the last few times I have either put down or up the drivers side window I get a slight click when the window passes the half way position. Window seems to operate properly nothing is scratching the glass but I do hear the click.
    Anyone notice a similar problem??
    Pandaman

Yes, I've heard the same click for a few months now. I've also noticed that the passengers window is now making the same click noise when lowering the window (mine is a 2001). Haven't checked it out yet because, as you say, no scratches on the window and the opening/closing function works unimpeded.

I noticed this click when I first picked up my car over 3 years ago. I made an inquiry with the dealership at that time and, although I can't remember the exact reason anymore, the Z8 mechanic said it was something like this:

There is a swage in the cable that makes that noise when running over a pulley in the window mechanism. Anyway, it's something like that.

Since I've never had the door apart, I can't confirm this as gospel, but I do believe this to be "normal" since I've watched it for the last 3 years and have noticed no change in the click or experienced any problems with the window mechanism.

Sport Button On - DSC Off
    I feel better now.
    Thanks guys.
    Pandaman

same here, clicking since new to me at 1,600 miles.
    thegunguy

DSC Off

same here.....

......since i bought the car at 4,000 miles......click when raising the windows....but no problems.

Clicks on both sides

since I got the car with 2K miles on it. No scratches, no problems- I just keep them down with the top down most of the time anyway.

Sport Button On - DSC Off jpklecker's Avatar

Window Click

I hadn't really paid attention when it started. but my 2002 driver's side window has had a very slight "click" on operation for some time. The car currently has about 25,600 miles on it. I haven't noticed any marks on the glass or any hesitation in the movement of the window, up or down. I do operate the window frequently due to raising and lowering the soft top during the cooler months here in Phoenix. Unfortunately I can't just leave the top down, as there is a lot of dust in the air here.

Have the same noise coming from both windows. It`s more than a click. Like cracking.
    Hattat

AF77768 Topasblau / Schwarz

PP installed
    Motorsport 20" style 101 wheels
    Eisenmann catback
    Supersprint headers
    CDV removed
    Quaife LSD
    3.64 gearing

I have 41000 miles and had this problem...

at around 6000 miles. My BMW mechanic opened the door panel and said that the was some dirt in the gearing -- no problem since. I have never had it in the passenger door window.

Only problem I have now is when I am at speed (80 mph or greater) and I roll the window up, it does seal or close all the way every time. Most of the time yes, sometimes no, very aggrevating. When I took it to my dealer, he could not duplicate so nothing fixed. Again -- very frustrating.
    Best Regards,

Jeff
    61995 Silver /// Rot - Original Owner
    Z8 Club of Germany e.V. #102

Sport Button On - DSC Off Lupin's Avatar
    Mine start clicking ( it is more like a "TIC") after a problem with a dead battery, so without any power the window does not go down that inch needed to open and close.
    I could open the door, but since I could not close it I left it open and my father ,unfortunately,few hours later noticed the door open and tried (succesfully ) to close it .
    This is my "clicking " story

Yup, add mine to the "Tic List", annoying as hell, but no damage & seemingly working w/o scratching the glass.
    A cable clicking over a gear? What?
    Jim

Bilateral click for me

My car started making the window noise this week, upon rolling down either side. I'm at about 9K miles.
    It is more of a quick sharp metal on glass noise. Annoying for sure.

Ted,
    Have you noticed the "click" on both of your cars? Although I don't hear it in mine all the time, it's definitely there when I pay attention and listen for it.
    This is just one of those idiosyncratic "features" present in all Z8s. Gives them character!

Ahhh .... character

a little more XKE here than we might have thought.

Sport Button On - DSC Off Lupin's Avatar

window tic

Could be a "nervous tic" due to the frame problem??

Z8 Novice

The window 'click'.

I only just found out about this site, but I have had my Z8 since 2002.
    I had it into the service department (at the dealership where I purchased it - Weatherford BMW in the SF/Bay area) a couple of weeks ago for regular maintenance and I asked them to check out the 'click' which I was hearing on both the driver and passenger windows, probably for about the last 8 months.
    The diagnosis: The cable inside the door (that I'm guessing is an electronic pulley of sorts from how it was described to me) that raises and lowers the window hits a certain point in the process of closing the window, and catches on the wheel/spindle that is guiding it - okay I'm not a mechanic (and,yes, I am female) - and that makes the 'clicking' sound. So, it is not contact with the glass of the window, which I think we were all fearing.
    Mr. Info. at the dealership told me that nothing was being damaged/harmed - no window was going to blow. He said that the mechanisms could be replaced as they were worn, to get rid of the click. I believe he said it was about $2000 per door.
    I said that the click wasn't bothering me $4000 worth, and as long as the windows were not being damaged, I'd live with it.
    The worst that can happen is the cable/pulley will fail and one would be stuck with a partially closed/openned window.
    Since so many owners are having this problem, and I doubt we are all compulsively overworking our window controls, I wonder if, as a group, we have any leverage in dealing with this as a mechanical defect.

DSC Off

window click

My Z8 has been driven more than 116.000 km (72.500 miles) and also has the click.
    No problems and no window damage.
    Z8Ros
    The Netherlands

Z8Mania
    I can report the same thing and being told the same thing- just normal sound due to the mechanism. Its like the glass is losing its tracking and then reacquiring it on the window mechanism track. I've now accepted it as normal. In my case we're on 7 years/ 25000 miles.

Z8 Novice

Ditto

I have got the click too but no problems..

Rob, 2000 - Silver Black 8800 Miles

Sport Button On - DSC Off Z8-NL's Avatar
    I had the tick since I bought the car 4 years ago at 18k km and now at 35k it is still there!

Yup, me too, @ 11,500 miles I enjoy the optional "click", but only on port side. God, I love this automobile.
    Jim
    0041 car

Quote Originally Posted by Z8Ros View Post
    My Z8 has been driven more than 116.000 km (72.500 miles) and also has the click.
    No problems and no window damage.
    Z8Ros
    The Netherlands

Nice picture Evert-Jan

Z8 Novice
    The clicking noise is due to a part of the regulator having broken "teeth". Both of mine have been replaced on my 02 by the dealer under a good will warranty and the clicking noise is no more.

Switzerland-> "Click or Tick" ..

since april 07 or a bit earlier ..built 2001 , 18'500 miles .....its an ugly sound which I can hear even i wont. But anyway it still works.....