Thread: 1957 BMW 507 - Sold

Sport Button On - DSC Off FWK-Z8's Avatar

1957 BMW 507 - Sold

Want something that makes the Z8 look like a cheap copy? How about this for $600,000!

http://www.fantasyjunction.com/used-...1c9430c0d026f6

Looks to be an early one with the short interior compartment, Rudge wheels and one could argue whether the non-stock steering wheel adds or dtracts from the value (looks to be a period Nardi, instead of the factory white plastic).

Opening your garage door and seeing this next to your Z8 - priceless!

Oh my, and to think I didn't buy one at $250K in 1999 because I didn't think it had that much further to appreciate. You know if it wasn't for the Z8 the 507 could well have slipped into the forgotten pile, but the Z8 has underwritten it's status as a legend. It is curious to reflect on just how almighty and all conquering the MB SL's were back then, the Mille Miglia with Moss & Jenks, 50-55 Le Mans etc, but now SL just stands for bland, while the Z8 & 507 have matured into something really exquisite, the whole really being grater than the sum of the parts.

I just had to grab some of the shots as that is really a lovely example, thanks for sharing!

Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Thanks F.

I'de like the stock steering wheel on that car, matching the nobs etc. I still want those wheels for my Z8. And having the pair of cars would be spectacular.

If you truly want a good cry, I have the 1969 Road & Track with the test of my ALFA. In the Market Place, you could have had the 507 and a 328 for $5,000 each, or for $8,900 OBO a Ferrari 250 GTO.

BTW who has the Titanium Silver and Crema Z8?

H'mm the space behind the front wheels looks a bit empty - I wonder if it has been upgraded to the disk brakes that come on the latter 507's

Did you see a Silver/Crema in your area? We haven't had one register here, but they are very rare with only 16 worldwide, crema/black is rarer still, with just 9 worldwide.

A GTO for $8,900 - wow, now that would have been a good investment!
    Andrew Macpherson

Just imagine

It's not too hard to imagine that in another 15 years, we may look back and say that the 507 was only $675K.
    It'll be that much more amazing, if BMWZ8.US is still up and running (hopefully), that we will are able to follow this thread back to March of 2007.
    Last edited by Bend; March 10th 2007 at 23:47. Reason: correction

I don't think the 507 at $675K has even hit its stride. Why isn't at its top value? First, it will be in the first echelon of automobiles that are collected competitively. Second, it's a matter of time until it makes it into that group, as it will have to be a recognized as a Classic by the CCCA in order to have a class in which to compete at most concours. To date, no postwar has made it to CCCA list. Until it does, it will continue to appreciate. Will it make it to the pantheon of classics? My bet is yes. A lack of a racing heritage is a detractor; however, BMW's performance reputation makes up for a great portion of this (I assume that path BMW has been on for the past four decades will continue). It is rare. It is the work of a recognized designer, and it is historically significant.

I don't think the Z8 can be credited from saving the 507 from oblivion. Rather, the Z8 and 507 will enjoy a symbiotic relationship. The 507 had already gone through its low period when the Z8 was introduced. The Z8 helped repopularize the 507, but its core reputation was already established. By itself, the Z8 may have been just below the threshold of achieving greatness. It is one of the few timeless designs of the late 20th century, but 5000 is a very large run of cars in the world of classics. More likely the Z8 will coat-tail the 507 into greatness as its successor. The other attribute the Z8 has going for it is that BMW chose not to trade on "latest and greatest". Cars whose desireablity lies with being the fastest, most technological advanced, etc. lose their appeal quickly as soon as a faster, more technologically advanced car is introduced. High performance cars that will (and have) maintained their value are those that have combined performance with classic design - the 250-330 series Ferraris and the Lamborghini Miura come immediately to mind. I suspect that the Z8 will join these.

Hopefully, the Z8 will not be coat-tailed by...

Quote Originally Posted by FWK-Z8 View Post
    More likely the Z8 will coat-tail the 507 into greatness as its successor.
    it's successor, planned for release in 2010, and named no less, a Z8. Expected to be mass produced like the Z4 .... IMHO, that new Z8 will drag on the real Z8's coat-tails and prevent it from becoming or achieving it's collectible potential. So, enjoy the ride rather than watch it collect dust in the garage is my motto.
    Best Regards,

Jeff
    61995 Silver /// Rot - Original Owner
    Z8 Club of Germany e.V. #102

I disagree. Packard offers an excellent exmaple of a company that moved down-market without affecting the value of the company's earlier or senior cars. Another good example is my ALFA Romeo. When ALFA enlarged their engines in 1969 the re-introduced the 1750 moniker. No one has yet mistaken my round-tail Spider for a 6C1750 Monza Zagato, although it would be very nice if someone would.

Come to think of it, there is another excellent example within the BMW family - the 328 and the 328 -- the collectors manage to keep straight the 1930s roadsters from the entry level sedans.

Could this

Be mistaken for this?

They are both 600 series BMWs, after all.

I think we will have plenty of opportunity in Germany this spring to express our views about the upcoming SL fighter's badging. I would seriously expect it to be a Z6 since it will by enlarge be built on the 6 series chassis.

I don't think BMW would us the Z8 name again so soon, especially as it might well bring more of our frame/aluminum questions back into the press.
    Andrew Macpherson

Hardly be mistaken to be sure....

They are both 600 series BMWs, after all.
    Although you can definately "feel" the BMW heritage in the 1980 series M6 (I have a 1988 M6 in the garage too), these two cars can hardly be mistaken as they are separated by 20 years of automotive design and technology. The other example, 328 and 328 is separated by over 60 years.... so hardly a comparison or even a "reintroduction" of a previous model.

The Z8 was first and foremost a "retro" design from start to finish, paying homage to the roadsters of old and that "driving spirit" that hitting the open road with the top down and wind in the hair meant during the post war era of the 50's. American and European auto manufacturers were all trying to capitalize (and still are to a degree) on the "retro" design of bringing back something from the past. Case in point -- the Ford GT and Mustang, or soon to be released, Camaro, the Challenger, etc.

The "new" Z8 hardly is trying to introduce a "retro" version of our car so I hope and agree with Macfly that since it will be based on the 6 series and so soon after our car production run (only 7 years separating the two?), I vote for a Z6 too.
    Best Regards,

Jeff
    61995 Silver /// Rot - Original Owner
    Z8 Club of Germany e.V. #102

I was in Fantasy Junction a couple of months ago. What a fantastic place. This 507 wasn't there at the time.

Best Regards,
    speed is life

The ad doesn't say it's there. It's a dangerous place to even go near - too many things that could follow you home with two commas in their price tag.

The ad doesn't say it's there. It's a dangerous place to even go near - too many things that could follow you home with two commas in their price tag.
    ...or even one comma.

speed is life

Is that the one the wheels fall off of?

Could you imagine the poor customer service rep that had to write this letter:

Dear Mr. Leno,

Congratulations on your purchase of a new Ford GT.

We have recently found a potential safety defect that could result in the failure of one or both front spindles that lead to loss of vehicle control. Parts to correct this defect our being obtained in limited numbers. You will be notified when your dealer has the parts to correct the defect on your car. At this time the supply of parts is limited and cars will be scheduled for recall in the order in which they were sold.

Due to the serious nature of this problem, please refrain from driving your Ford GT.

Better hope Benson was watching Letterman the night Jay got this.

It wasn't actually the spindles that were replaced. Ford found a crack on a cast suspension control arm (I can't remember if it was a front or rear) on one of their developmental GT's. There were no actual suspension failures on any of the GT's. As a precaution Ford had Roush manufacture billet control arms and replaced all of the cast control arms on the early '05's that had already been built. Until new cast control arms were available for the '06's, Roush continued to supply billet control arms at a reported cost of over $10,000 per car.

Embarrassing at the time? Sure, but Ford stepped up without having to be asked and fixed every GT as quickly as Roush could machine the billet arms.

Best Regards,
    speed is life