Thread: Z8 track day at Buttonwillow

Z8 track day at Buttonwillow

This started out as a way of dialing in our new suspension systems on the Z8, but two of the original posters have dropped out, so I thought I would throw this out there to anyone else that would be interested in doing a track day in their Z8.

It is a small, 12 car only, private track day running Buttonwillow's config 13 clockwise. We will be sharing the event with the Lotus group that I usually run with, but we will have our own run group. We need to get 5 cars in total, but two have already dropped out, so if you would like to do this event please post here, and contact me so I can fill you in on the details.

Cost of track rental each is $386
    Depending on availability our instructor be Craig Stanton, and split five ways that is $300 each.

Just to sum up we have is 3 cars so far.
    macfly............Alpina Susp + Dinan sway/castor + 20" + MPS2
    the bender......Alpina sus + 20" + MPS2
    norcal............Z8 sus + 18" + SO3

Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Sport Button On
    I might come to watch and hang out, but I won't be able to drive unless they let me run my John Deere!
    Robbie

you'll have the best cross country drive across the 58 to get to BW from you! Hope to see you there.
    Andrew Macpherson

Rent-a-ride!!

Quote Originally Posted by sunnslo View Post
    I might come to watch and hang out, but I won't be able to drive unless they let me run my John Deere!
    Robbie

if you don't want to track the Z8.

NB: I have now booked an ex-Ferrari race team mechanic who now has his own shop to come up to do the adjustments to my set up based on Craig's feedback, so anyone else who comes will be able to utilize his expertise too.

I would also like feedback on lunch, the track has no food facilities, and usually we just buy up a bunch of fruit and sandwiches at the nearest service station, so let me know if that is cool with everyone. We could also plan a catered lunch, but that will add a bunch more $$ to the day.
    Andrew Macpherson

Spoke with Craig Stanton today...

and he is looking very forward to seeing us on the 24th. I bumped into him in the paddock here at Homestead. He is racing a GT3 Cup car (38) this weekend, and I'm working with one of the teams here that has a well known doctor (on a TV show) for their driver.

I'll post a couple of pix and let you know how they all do, but if you want to know what your instructor is doing this weekend click here.
    Andrew Macpherson

What a wonderful day!

Thanks to all for allowing me to "tag along". I think I actually had the best time of all getting to ride in all the different vehicles with different drivers. I must say that the highlight of my day was the final few laps with Craig in the super-charged Elise. The combination of man and machine were genuinely other-worldly.
    thegunguy

It really was a great day indeed! My favorite part was seeing the Father/son teams in action. It was wonderful seeing Norcal wailing around in his new GT3, and his son Morgan blasting hard in his Subaru, and Ted & his son Chris sharing Dad's Z8, both learning well from Craig how to hustle her around the track at a good clip with big smiles!

Being at the track is one of my favorite pastimes, so much so that I almost never get to drive the gorgeous scenic roads around LA anymore, now all my driving days are just to, from and at the track in the Lotus. Having Rifle along gave me a great excuse to take some of the best back roads in the land, and enjoy the Z8 doing what it does best, so thanks for making the effort to come and play for the day! As you say Craig is an incredible driver, and also an extraordinary instructor, once you have the best you just can't go back!

Thanks to everyone else for coming out and making it another memorable Z8 day!

Full set of pix are up in the Gallery starting here.

The on track shots were bought from these guys should anyone want to hire them for a similar type of track event. They arrive with a full on digital wagon and everything needed to turn around the shots on the spot.
    Andrew Macpherson

Sport Button On
    Although I didn't do any tracking it was great to be out there with the cars and the guys. Every opportunity to be around both adds to my love for the car and always a great time meeting and getting to know the other owners. BTW thanks to Andrew for both arranging the day and also for insisting I drive the 58 out there. What a road!
    Robbie

Talking Echo the great day

Thanks, Andrew for setting up the course. I noted a big difference in the fluidity of my driving between the beginning and the end of the day. Craig Stanton is a great teacher. I hope that we have a chance to repeat this some time in the future, so others can join us to share the thrill of taking their Z8's at speed in such a controlled setting.