Thread: Front bumper neon turn signal failure

Front bumper neon turn signal failure

Turn signal lights on the front bumper has two bulbs in it. One neon and an ordinary bulb. My left turn signal has a failure. The neon bulb in it sometimes flashes, sometimes don`t. As a result all the remaining left turn signal lights flash fast because of the low resistance. I had the connectors checked at the service and there is no problem found. Has any of you had a similar problem?
    Hattat

AF77768 Topasblau / Schwarz

PP installed
    Motorsport 20" style 101 wheels
    Eisenmann catback
    Supersprint headers
    CDV removed
    Quaife LSD
    3.64 gearing

Yes, I had that problem intermittently on my second Z8 and never did figure it out. Every time I took it to the dealer the problem stopped!

There are only two things to fail, the first is the ballast unit which controls each bulb. This is the common one, and isn't too difficult or expensive to replace, so that is what I would ask your dealer to order.

The second is the bulb itself. It has been explained to me that there will be a long term issue with the neon bulbs on our cars. As with any neon bulb they will eventually loose the gas inside them, which will cause them to fail. Normally failing neon bulbs will flicker and not fully illuminate, but since ours blink this can mean intermittent working. I was not given a definitive time period on this, but over time all our bulbs will fail, and the spares that were manufactured at the same time will have lost the gas at the same rate too, so there is a very strong possibility that the spare will have the same issue!
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

but they will be making them for 44 more years, right?

Just order one with a manufacture date of 2007.

Andrew are you referring to the part #63136900397 on realoem.com?
    Hattat

PP installed
    Eisenmann catback
    Supersprint headers
    CDV removed
    Quaife LSD
    3.64 gearing

I have no idea how you found that part number using that site, I just got lost in there for ten minutes!! Anyhow the thing you want is called the indicator control unit, your dealer should be able to take it from there. If this helps here is a screen shot of that section of the complete parts book that is downloadable in our PDF's to Download section.

Andrew Macpherson

Thanks Andrew By the way the diagram was located at 63 Lighting / 63 10 Turn Signals Front/Side Then choose the first diagram "Front Turn Indicator"
    Hattat

PP installed
    Eisenmann catback
    Supersprint headers
    CDV removed
    Quaife LSD
    3.64 gearing

Now this is a coincidence! Yes, just two weeks ago I had the same problem develop (left turn signal flashing very fast). I didn't check the neon signal but what cured the problem was turning off the headlights. I then realized that this problem only occured when the headlights are on. It is an intermitent problem. When it occurs, I turn the headlights off, then back on and the problem does not return. I have not taken it in for repair yet.

Having just taken the car in for repair, it was determined that the front neon signal was burned out, hence the rapid flashing. $850.00 later (about $600 for the light assembly, $250 for labor) I'm driving home and remember the "headlights on" requirement, turn the lights on and rapid flashing still occurs. Not a burned out light problem. Though interestingly enough, when you turn the headlights on, the neon light does not work, appearing to be burned out. Anyway, it's back to the shop to determine the real cause.

Quote Originally Posted by Z8Mark View Post
    Having just taken the car in for repair, it was determined that the front neon signal was burned out, hence the rapid flashing. $850.00 later (about $600 for the light assembly, $250 for labor) I'm driving home and remember the "headlights on" requirement, turn the lights on and rapid flashing still occurs. Not a burned out light problem. Though interestingly enough, when you turn the headlights on, the neon light does not work, appearing to be burned out. Anyway, it's back to the shop to determine the real cause.
    Received a call today from the shop that the ballast arrived. Tomorrow I will take the car for replacement. Will inform you tomorrow when I`ll take the car back.
    Hattat

PP installed
    Eisenmann catback
    Supersprint headers
    CDV removed
    Quaife LSD
    3.64 gearing

OK, the next step (as in Zed8's case) was to replace the ballast, which I'm told sits right behind the light assembly, though the SA initially reffered to it as the "module", but he then said "but it looks just like the ballast of phloresecent light, big and rectangular". Anyway, it indeed was the culpirt and upon replacing, problem was solved.

I'm now having the same problem, ie the bulb only flashes intermittently. Should I just replace the ballast/control unit? Is this user replaceable, or do I need to go to the dealer? (If so, it will have to wait until spring

If you need to take off the front bumper to get at the light, then it's a project, I'd maybe ring your dealer and ask first. We have some helpful technical PDF's over in that section that minght help you see what you need to do.
    Andrew Macpherson

Thanks, Andrew. BTW, price of the control unit has gone from $265 to $368!

Finally got it fixed, it was the control unit. Total cost w/ labor (bumper had to be removed) was $768.42.

That's not cheap, but it's done! :-)
    Andrew Macpherson

My left turn signal lens was cracked during my Euro trip. I had it replaced in Zurich for 600 Eur. Only the lens.
    Hattat

PP installed
    Eisenmann catback
    Supersprint headers
    CDV removed
    Quaife LSD
    3.64 gearing