Thread: Cross Drilled Rotors

Sport Button On - DSC Off Dogsbreath's Avatar

Question Cross Drilled Rotors

I bought new wheels (Racing Dynamics) and tires (Bridgestone Pole Positions). I will post comparison results for these versus my current Dunlops when I have some miles on the new ones. Photos to follow as well.

The new wheels are much more open and I am thinking of cross drilling my own rotors and or slotting them. Product reviews for Bimmerworld's cross drilled rotors include 2 reviews that mention warping. Anyone have any thoughts on this ??

I prefer function to aesthetics but if I can have both.....

Dave P

I would seriously consider the Brembo kit...

It is on my shopping list, along with a lot of other little tweaks, and I think that it really suits the car much better than the oem set up.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Brembos for me too. Shamefully, I want the Brembos mostly for appearances as I hope to have the Z8 off of the track except for special occasions once I find a Lotus. The red calipers will look so nice on my black/red car.

Of course, these require new wheels too. My preference are 19s; also from Racing Dynamics (RD2s ala DWZ8).

However, I did much to the car over the past year. So, I'm going to enjoy it for the length of the recently fitted S03s - then new wheels/tires/brakes.
    thegunguy

A beautiful Elise in Austin

We test drove an incredibly beautiful Elise (Dark silver/red) this week at BMW of Austin. It's a recent trade with 5K miles, hardtop, racing pkg, and is currently listed on Ebay. Really nice shape and a great sounding after market exhaust. I can now understand what all of you have been talking about- the car is amazing, even if you have to ask the passenger to lean to the right to go into 5th gear. Unfortunately, not good timing for a new toy for me.

Ken, whatever you may think about it on the road is just transformed when you try it on the track - check out this vid of it - right click to download/save as it is too big to play over the wires.

Elise S2 - link
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

DSC Off
    Quote Originally Posted by KenZ8 View Post
    We test drove an incredibly beautiful Elise (Dark silver/red) this week at BMW of Austin. It's a recent trade with 5K miles, hardtop, racing pkg, and is currently listed on Ebay. Really nice shape and a great sounding after market exhaust. I can now understand what all of you have been talking about- the car is amazing, even if you have to ask the passenger to lean to the right to go into 5th gear. Unfortunately, not good timing for a new toy for me.
    I just acqured the new Exige S for track days, leaving the Z8 for more respectable pursuits. I have not even broke it in yet in the rainy Northwest winter, but it is a raw go cart like experience that is just a hoot. If you are limber and like to drive go carts, then it is a great track car that can take the abuse that really driving hard produces, saving the Z8 for the Long Road. And the new supercharger really gives it some grunt. Can't wait to get it on the track, and my existing driving skills will provide me with a huge learning curve to follow. I think I will enjoy this education alot more than B-school!

Dave,

Sorry I hijacked your thread with Lotus talk!

Personally, I don't think I'd have the stock rotors drilled. Unless done right, it seems like it would an opportunity for failure and warping. I have no idea what the machining costs would be, but I'm guessing it's a large enough sum that it could start a Brembo fund for you.

Now, post pics of the new wheels and tires!
    thegunguy

Sport Button On - DSC Off Dogsbreath's Avatar
    Hey Rifle

No problem - I am interested in any and all things Lotus.

You are probably right - I was contemplating machining them myself - the process would be easy enough - but I am not sure if there is a process (eg heat treating) that would be necessary afterward.

Hope Texas is treating you well.

Dave

I'm considering Brembos as well, am I to understand that new wheels are required for this addition? Any and all info on Brembo install, cost etc would be appreciated. Thanks,
    Jim

Yes, the Brembos will not fit with the diameter of the OE 18" wheel. A minimum of 19" is required. As I recall, the price for front and rear brakes is in excess of $6k. Of course, new wheels and tires vary widely in price.
    thegunguy