Thread: Nov. 06 Tire Question

Z8 Novice

Nov. 06 Tire Question

Looking on Tire Rack, I see both Pilot Sport and Pilot Sport A/S tires in Z8 OE sizes. There had been mention in the past here about Pilot Sport 2s becoming available in OE sizes, but I didn't know if the 2 was a different tire than these? I am trying to decide between the Dunlop Sport Maxx, the Bridgestone RE050A Pole Position, and the Michelin Pilot Sports. Input appreciated.

I can't give you a straight answer...

because I am now running on wider 20" rims with MPS2 tires, and happy as a clam.

However using the compare function on the site I came up with these choices as the ones I would pick if I was on OEM rims.

1st choice - for fast performance driving - Bridgestone RE050A Pole Position
    2nd choices - for the peace of mind of 'Run Flat living' - Bridgestone RE050A RFT
    These are meant to be much better than the troublesome OEM gen-1 run flats, but they will be heavier and give a stiffer ride, so it is a trade off between performance and peace of mind.

I looked around the site at all the other tires that fit, and based on the info there my choice would be the RE050A's with an M-Mobility kit and a AAA membership. They are the newest (most recently released) tires available for our cars, and Bridgestone are the tire supplier to Ferrari F1 among many other super-sport teams, and this is thier top of the line sports tire.

I know that Dave in Vegas put the Dunlops on and is happy with them too, but they didn't seem as compelling as the RE050A's using Tirerack's data. However driving the alternatives is the only real way to tell. Good luck with choices.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Z8 Novice

Thanks, and once again....

you provide some sense of confidence when faced with a choice of apples or oranges.

Sport Button On - DSC Off jpklecker's Avatar
    Where can one get an M-Mobility kit and how much do they run? I'm seriously thinking of switching to regular performance tires, not RFT's, and don't especially like the idea of getting stuck with no spare.

Any BMW dealer will have one, or be able to order one, and they often pop up on EBay. I always carry a couple of cans of the tire-goo stuff too, to make sure that something will work!
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

From memory the M Mobility Kit runs about $100. Which is crazy when you realize it's just a 12V pump with an inline flat-fix canister, but it does fit nice in the trunk with the rest of the safety gear.
    thegunguy

Sport Button On - DSC Off jpklecker's Avatar
    Thanks for the info, macfly and thegunguy, I plan to switch to regular, not RFT tires, so I'll see about getting an M Mobilithy Kit for my trunk.

JP & Muse, what did you guys eventually put under the Z ? And are you satisfied ?

Z8 Novice

Replacement Tires

Well, it's been a year, and I have just ordered the Bridgestone Potenza Pole Position tires and they will be installed next week.... therefore I am unable to give you a report, but will do so in a few weeks. Are you considering the same? Are you staying with OEM or getting different wheels?

Yes, I am considering them too. Together with the Michelins (PS2), Pirellis (Pzero system) on OEM wheels.