Thread: My next BMW?

My next BMW?

I just got forwarded this report on BMW's next car. I think this could even be the car that replaces my SL if they get it right.

BMW is planning a new model that will rival the Mercedes SL-Class and fill the gap left by the discontinued Z8, according to two magazine reports this week. Both the U.K.'s AutoCar and U.S.-based AutoWeek are reporting BMW most definitely is working on a car called the Z6 that will rival the highly successful SL Mercedes. The reports come 6 weeks after Germany's AutoBild first indicated BMW was working on such a car.

According to AutoCar the Z6 looks like a cross between a Nissan 350Z and a Porsche 911. The report indicates that it will be the same size as the BMW 6-Series, but much sportier. The report also indicates the car will weigh under 3,300 pounds. AutoBild reported the same figure in April, stating the car would be a sporty alternative to the 3850-pound Mercedes SL.

The car is designed to be a technology showcase, and, as such, will use exotic materials like magnesium and carbon fiber. It will also use a more efficient engine than the Z8, both reports said. BMW hopes to sell 15,000 units per year, according to AutoCar.

The AutoWeek report indicates the car will cost less than the Z8 (which sold for $130,000) and has a great deal of support from the BMW board. The report also suggests an entry-level Z2 will be slotted below the Z4.

Both magazines say plans for a mid-engine layout were scrapped, and BMW instead opted for a front-engine design. In its report on the car, AutoBild said while BMW can?t ?reinvent the hardtop" it wants to give the car a strong coupe character when the roof is up.

Interestingly, AutoWeek suggests that recent spy shots that some fan sites speculated showed the Porsche Panamera wearing a BMW M5 body are actually the Z6 platform in testing.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Some versions off the web...

A curious set of interpretations - but I just hope the is no Bangle or Van Hook visible in it anywhere.

Beauty sells, as we can see by the terrible sell though rate of the fugly Z4, so BMW, lets take a page out of Alfa's recent return to beauty please.

Andrew Macpherson

Twist my arm and ...

I would take the top one.

But only if someone took my Z8 and hid all the others.

Sorry, none of the above would persuade me to abandon the DB9 Coupe I just ordered for delivery in June.

I think the AM is in a different league...

than the MB SL/CL cars that these are going head to head with. I really love the AM, but I'd really consider it more of a 'supercar', while the SL/CL range are just nice everyday cars. I really enjoy my SL as an all purpose everyday driving machine, it is very comfy, easy and calming to drive, and makes for a perfect Californian cruiser. I'll be very interested to see how BMW will try to eat into it's almost 50 year heritage, as I know of some SL owners who have had every SL since the '60's!

If you bought an AM DB9 then BMW just don't have anything in their range that would appeal to you. However AM is up for sale as part of Ford's desperate attempt to stay relevant and afloat, and as yet I haven't heard any news of any buyers. BMW are doing much better with RR than they did with Rover, so I wonder if they might be tempted? It would seem that VAG already has too many cars in that segment with the Lambo, the Bugatti and the new R8 for them to want AM. I wonder who'll be the owner of AM when your's arrives?
    Andrew Macpherson

Sport Button On - DSC Off FWK-Z8's Avatar

Next BMW

My vote would go for the coup, third down, on the right. Did BMW hire a new designer?? The flowing lines are beautiful and the top has that light airy, "CS" look to it.

I assume the brown roadster is the Z2? Thank god the awful slash on the side and Bimmer-zit is gone!

Not sure if it is the Z2...

I found all these google-searching the Z6. I've seen some sketches of the Z2 and it actually looked pretty nice, shorter and stubbier in a cool way, like a toughter little Audi TT softtop.

Talking about AM I just saw the pix of the AMV8 soft top in the new Auotweek, what a loevly looking car - well done Henrik!
    Andrew Macpherson

Yes, Andrew good question regarding ownership of Aston. I haven't heard anything as of yet, but we'll see. The primary reason for choosing the Aston really comes down to style. I usually keep my cars for some time (this will replace my '98 750iL), so driving a BMW or Mercedes version of the Solara, or that awful angular Cadillac, is not very appealing to me. I have been buying BMW's for the last 20 years, and the overall engineering can't be beat. Ignoring the design flaws, one knows when buying a BMW they are getting a solid machine. However, as I was consideriing replacing the 750 with a 760 (and as my children are now in college, I don't have need of a large back seat), I realized that for $30,000 more I could get that beautiful Fisker DB9, it did not seem like a supercar purchase, just moving up one notch in the automotive ladder. Yes, a bit pricey, but such a lovely car.

Sport Button On
    Mark, just curious, did you also consider a nice used Vanquish (should be the same price range)?
    Klaus

The DB9's mspr is almost $200K with tax & registration...

and that is Supercar territory in my book!

Congratulations, it is one gorgeous car!!
    Andrew Macpherson

Klaus, yes I looked at the Vanquish, what a beautiful car, but a bit of a beast for daily driving I thought. I had test driven a 2007 DB9 with the new sports package,(stiffer suspension, lower ground clearance and tighter turning ratio) and that seemed a bit harsh as well.
    The Vanquish and the Vanquish S are what I would put in the "supercar" category. Wow, what a car!

Sport Button On - DSC Off FWK-Z8's Avatar

Bangle may dipping into the classics

I did an interesting drive today - the Martin Swig Annual Anti-football Drive. The rules are (show up in Sausalito at 8 and (2) bring something interesting to drive.

The plan was to take the ALFA, but at 4AM the thought of having to move 6 cars and heated seats vs the ALFA's somewhat primative heating system and the "something interesting" prevailed.

I got into a group being led by a 1928 Lancia Lambda, a 2002tii joined in. Later I was leading a Tour de France Ferrari. Other cars included a Miura, a 330 Berlinetta, a 250 SWB Lusso and a 400 Superfast. Two 356s, a Carrera and assorted automotive exotica drivne the way automotive exotica is meant to be driven. Unfortunately one sixteeen year old learned that you (1) do not crest a blind hill full blast and (2) when things go to hell FWD cars do not like to land on their front wheels with locked brakes and steering at full lock. Said Lotus left big ugly marks as the rear wheels decided to go faster than the fronts, causing the Lotus to commune with nature and several feet of barbed wire wound in the drivtrain, given the driver and passenger a panoramic view of the path they just travelled. Unfortunately we did not get things cleaned up before the flashing blue and reds showed up. I do hope they mentioned the dog darting across the street that caused them to crash.

Anyways, the reason this is here is that one of the cars on the drive was a Toyota 2000GT - of course the work of the designer of the Z8's predecessor, Albrecht Graf Geortz.

On Goertz's Toyota GT, not the top with the center depression - the two raised sections in a continuous arc with the depressed section defined by squared edges. Also note the shape of the rear window - the tapering sided and rounded bottom edge - the new Z4 Coupe is strikingly similar!