Thread: Cost and availability of PP?

Z8 Novice

Cost of Part & How to Locate?

Just called my local dealer here in Santa Barbara... I of course had to educate the guy in the service department on the whole issue... he even had to call me back to ask for a part number, which I gave him... he says the computer shows none available in the US or Germany... and says I may need to pay more if he has to get it from another dealer.... I gave him the name and number of Nina at BMWNA, and he will call her tomorrow and get back to me. He quotes the cost of the PP as $600-something and the cost of installation to be over $1,600.... does that sound correct? Sounds like alot. What have any of you paid? Thanks so much for any info.

Over here in The Netherlands price of the part is about 350 euro (little over 400 dollar?) and including installation it is about 1400 euro (about the price your dealer told you)

Z8 Novice

Actually, TOTAL quote is over $2200 here

The installation alone was quoted at over $1600. With ~$600 in parts, that puts the total at over $2200, which translates to about 1800+ Euro. Thanks for your input.

Quote Originally Posted by Z8Muse View Post
    The installation alone was quoted at over $1600. With ~$600 in parts, that puts the total at over $2200, which translates to about 1800+ Euro. Thanks for your input.
    That is a lot of money, Euro prices; part 371,00 euro, 8,5 hrs installation (80 euro per hour), tax (19%); adds to about 1400 euro.

Sport Button On - DSC Off

$$$$

Think I paid around $2,000.00 and was given a loaner for the 8 to 10 hours it took to install and correct a recall issue.
    Pandaman

Z8 Novice

National "freeze' on PP??

My service guy at my local dealership just called me... as he was investigating how to get the PP. He was faxed a notice this morning from, I believe, BMWNA which said that this part # is on "freeze", as "BMW has not even installed one yet", and that they need to make certain of the "translation" before they release this part. I told him that other dealers had, in fact, done installations, but that perhaps this was a reaction to Ron's unfortunate incidence of a dealer installing the kit inappropriately. Any thoughts?

Z8 Novice

Recall Issue?

Quote Originally Posted by pandaman View Post
    Think I paid around $2,000.00 and was given a loaner for the 8 to 10 hours it took to install and correct a recall issue.
    Pandaman
    Hi Panda-
    Are you referring to the PP when you say "correct a recall issue", or is there something else (software update)?

I am only guessing here....

but that was the news from a few weeks ago, but it could be the case. You might want to touch base with Dana Caldwell at Peter Pan BMW, as he will have the very latest info - 505 946 4012
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Z8 Novice

Miraculous turnaround!!

Well... either it is an incredible coincidence or perhaps SOMEONE who is empowered is reading this forum, because I just got a call from a different service rep. at my dealer, reversing their previous comments on all fronts.

Now the position is that the part CAN be ordered, would be here soon, and the cost would be approx. $1800 installed. However that happened, it is better news.

I plan to bring the installation warnings I have read to the installers attention, so I hope all goes well. Thank you all for sharing your collective knowledge.

Availability of Z8 Performance kit

The performance kit is technically on "freeze" by BMW NA. The ordering process requires that we submit an order with the vehicle VIN and it will be released. This is to prevent "parts hoarding" by people just out to make a buck. My pricing is as follows:
    Parts - $599.00
    Labor - $1275.00 (8.5 hours)
    Alignment - $210.00
    Tax - $49.41
    Total - $2133.41

We have installed 7 of them without any problems (no insulation cutting/removal) We test fit every kit by clamping the bar in after measurement and closing the hood to insure proper and smooth closing of the hood.

I have provided loaner cars as needed to customers who have had the kit installed. I am happy to do the kit to anyone who wants to spend a day in the bay area (an overnight stay is required). Feel free to conatct me via email.

The recall/campaign that has been metioned is for an OBD reprgramming and is not related to the performance kit.

Hope this clears up any questions related to this matter.

Dana Caldwell
    Service & Parts Director
    Peter Pan BMW
    San Mateo,Ca

Cost of PP at Santa Monica BMW

Just for the record:
    Parts $856
    Labor $1,334
    Total: $2,190

Tyler
    Titanium '01

Sorry, Tyler. They saw you coming. While labor can fluctuate, the cost of the PP is published at $599 in BMW's part system. I'd raise hell.
    thegunguy

DSC Off
    The part is available only by VIN number and is readily available. I had mine done at Bob Smith BMW in Calabassas at a cost of $1,500 for everything, including the part.

Sport Button On - DSC Off mollyshark's Avatar
    Ditto Robertsz.