Thread: A small problem with the installation...

Team Z8

A small problem with the installation...

with the kit now installed the mechanic couldn't close the hood. They've cut away the hood insulation that was in place over the strut brace. The hood now closes but I've got loose insulation foam where it was cut. Does anyone know a way to seal the foam as it was before being cut? I was thinking of having it sprayed with something like the stuff used in truck bed liners. On the positive side the silver powder coat makes the brace look like an original part of the car.

Sounds like they installed it too high...

which is something I have been worried about myself. They absolutly should not have cut your foam, I would call Bill Stewart right away, this is certainly not good news.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

DSC Off

Exclamation too high

The installation is too high. It is possible to close the hood without force.I did the instalation myself and you must not make the mistake to place the kit too high for more room with the engine. the room must be exactly 5mm.
    Z8ROS
    netherlands

The exact position of the brace

must be tested before drilling holes into the frame profiles (use glue or similar). There should not be any reason to cut the foam.

Z8Mania
    yes- I think you have to make them put in a new hood liner and find a way for them to adjust the brace downward. this last part gives me the most concern for you. I'm no mechanic, I am sure someone has a way to resolve that but from my view point this is the problem.

Sport Button On - DSC Off Dogsbreath's Avatar

How to measure ?

I have not installed my strut yet. I am concerned over exactly this issue. What is the best way to measure to avoid this problem ???

All input much appreciated.

Dave P

Quote Originally Posted by Dogsbreath View Post
    I have not installed my strut yet. I am concerned over exactly this issue. What is the best way to measure to avoid this problem ???

All input much appreciated.

Dave P

Yes! Anyone have a picture of where the measurement of 5mm should be taken from?

DSC Off

Exclamation read the manual

Read the manual very well.The engineers from BMW did their work well so don't try to do it better.Before drilling the holes you can fix the brace in its place with the two bolts of the removed airfilterbox.The bolts must be exactly in the center of the two big holes in plate of the brace . Then you close the hood. If you have to use force then is the kit to high.The 5 mm space with the engine is enough. 10 mm is too high. I drove already 6k miles with the kit.No problems.
    Good luck
    Z8Ros
    Evert-Jan
    Netherlands

Quote Originally Posted by 2112 View Post
    Yes! Anyone have a picture of where the measurement of 5mm should be taken from?
    I agree with Z8Ros. Im my case the distance between the running an therefore moving engine with its air tubes and the brace is about 3mm, everthing fits fine. However, there is minimal contact between the brace and the insulation. The hood closes effortlessly.

The air intake tubes on the Dinan upgrade are larger diameter. Anyone completed the install with the these and did you have any issues?

What model year did they start embossing "Z8" on the hood insulation? My early car does not have it. Wow, I would be very, very angry.

This is one of the first build cars...

the VIN is 60024, which started life as a BMW press fleet car, so it may well have used up some of the very early unique pre-production and prototype parts, which would make it even sadder that it got hacked up like this.

I don't remember ever seeing a Z8 logo inside any other hood either, but then again that may just be my memory!
    Andrew Macpherson

Andrew, how were you able to determine it was one of the press cars?

The BMW press and 'big brass' fleet cars....

were AH60000 - 60033. Some of these also got used as DE cars, I made a note of all the VIN's in use when I did my DE, but they got swapped around a bit from my understanding.
    Andrew Macpherson

Quote Originally Posted by macfly View Post

I don't remember ever seeing a Z8 logo inside any other hood either ...
    My car (04/2001) has the logo. At the end of the day there is only one real solution of the problem to me: a new, perfect fitting hood insulation. May be the manufacturing tool still exists, so it should not be a major deal to make some changes and to press such an item. BMW should investigate how to manage this.

My 8/01 car has the logo.

I agree, a revised piece would be nice. The one concern that I have with the fix is that the contact of the x-brace and the hood pad will deform the hood over time.
    thegunguy

My car is a 04/00 build (were talking old ) No LOGO though.

The Hood liner can be replaced. I would be upset that the holes in the frame were drilled in the wrong place. Welding them and redrilling not a great idea IMHO. I would want the brace modified, powdercoated and replaced in a lower location.

Gun, Do you have the Dinan air intake tubes?

No, but there was a car in for the PP a few days before mine, and it has the full Dinan S2. I'll try and contact the owner.
    thegunguy

FWIW - My Alpina (06/03) has the logo on the hood insulation.

My car is 07/00 built and has the logo on the insulation. My insulation seems to be the same with bummsbass` and mine is not foam. But the ones sent by macfly seems to be made of foam.
    Hattat

AF77768 Topasblau / Schwarz

PP installed
    Motorsport 20" style 101 wheels
    Eisenmann catback
    Supersprint headers
    CDV removed
    Quaife LSD
    3.64 gearing

Z8Mania
    Quote Originally Posted by 2112 View Post
    My car is a 04/00 build (were talking old ) No LOGO though.

The Hood liner can be replaced. I would be upset that the holes in the frame were drilled in the wrong place. Welding them and redrilling not a great idea IMHO. I would want the brace modified, powdercoated and replaced in a lower location....
    This would be my concern as well. I am sure this can be addressed, Ron please let us know how it works out. We are all wishing you good luck.

Team Z8

Thanks for your good wishes.

I spoke with Bill Stuart on Friday...BMWNA is in contact with the dealership and looking at the photo's to find a solution. I'll post their "fix for the fix" when I have more information. With such limited clearance under the hood I think they could make it easier on their technicians with a new hood insulation pad. If just a few installations go bad then the added cost of a reconfigured mat might be cost effective.

Z8Mania
    Ron- I think you're right and it would be much easier to reengineer the hood pad than the holes for the brace. Hang in there. I am sure its frustrating but it will work out.

IMHO the hood insulation looks expensive to remould (tooling changes). Welding the brace holes solid and redrilling seems the fastest and easiest. Or maybe send one out without holes and drill the brace to match the frame??

Team Z8

A new insulation pad on order...

Just had a phone call from the dealership that performed the installation of the Performance Kit. They believe the pad was cut unnecessarily (though I was told on the phone that they couldn't close the hood) and have a new one on order. A possible three weeks for delivery of the part...I'll update when the new pad is installed.

DSC Off

During my install on my 2001 build z8 the tech checked

the hood closing tolerances prior to starting the install. He installed the kit within the specs but low enough to where closing the hood is just as before the install.

While the headlights were out, he used a light to to see the strut bar with the hood closed and verified the tolerances prior to drilling the holes.

He did admit that changing filters would be more difficult for the technicians with the kit installed.

Team Z8

Just got the call that my hood pad has arrived...

A thought...I'm going to try using a heat gun on the surface of the old insulation pad after it's removed from the hood. Wondering if direct heat from the gun will collapse the cells and allow the pad to conform to any shape pressed against it. Teflon tape should keep the foam from sticking to the surface as it cools.

Z8Mania
    Good points- I think you are right especially when it comes to variation on the build of the vehicle itself. Each Z8 Ive been in has some unique quality to it. Glad you are satisfied with it and the dealer. I know someone else who speaks highly of Irvine.