Thread: Impromptu Encounter - Z8 vs E-Type

Impromptu Encounter - Z8 vs E-Type

On our recent road trip, I ran across this little jewel just off the Strip in Las Vegas. We are all aware of and talk about the similarities of the XKE and the Z8, but there are scant few photos documenting these similarities. Obviously, I couldn't resist the urge to do my own documentation. Please excuse the background clutter, but this was an impromptu encounter. I hope you enjoy this little 40 year warp in time.

As beautiful as this little red gem is, I'm fully confident our Z8s will be at least as stunning 40 years from now.

The Z8 - XKE with a touch of Cobra thrown in?

You've done a great job of picking up the striking similarities between the two cars.

I wonder if the 507 was an excuse to let Henrik throw into the mix his version of another object of his earlier admiration.

I have always had a place in my heart for both the Series 1 XKE (with headlight covers) and the Shelby Cobra. In a way, I feel that, with the Z8, I have gotten a modern version of both.

Great, thanks!

I too always felt like the Z8 was an e type meets Cobra. Beautiful comparison. Even closer than I imagined. Give the nose and tail some more length and shave the fender flares, and you're there!

Thanks again, nice shots.

Norcal

Thumbs up Great shots....

Thanks for sharing, that is a really interesting and unique set of images!
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Sport Button On

Talking Photo Camera Proof Plate Cover

Terrific the way your license plate numbers disappear when shoting at angle!

rwwinsz8

DSC Off

Great comparison

A 66 roadster (series 1, covered headlights vs the Series 1.5 in your pics) sits next to the Z8 in the garage just so I can make this comparison on a continuous basis! The similarities are striking and obvious in so many ways. From a pure art form perspective, the pre-68 E-type roadster reigns supreme (for me), but the Z8 is not far off, and from a performance/convenience perspective, the Z8 is far far superior. Thanks for posting the pics.

DSC Off

Awesome...simply awesome.....

...you have captured two of the most beautiful cars ever built. Pity the fact that the Jag has to wear that unsightly grill blemish. I'm so glad I do not live in a state that requires front tags. I'd pay to get those pics printed and framed. Is there any way to do this from this board? Outstanding!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by robz82001 View Post
    ...you have captured two of the most beautiful cars ever built. Pity the fact that the Jag has to wear that unsightly grill blemish. I'm so glad I do not live in a state that requires front tags. I'd pay to get those pics printed and framed. Is there any way to do this from this board? Outstanding!!!!!
    I would have to defer to the expert in these matters - macfly. Got any ideas/advice for robz82001 Andrew?

What did you want printed, and what size?

I made up the comparison set from the pix that Terry sent me, sized to the site's default size. I don't have files big enough to make big prints from these, but if you wanted something small I could send you the files.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

DSC Off

that would be great..

....I'm particularly interested in the 1st and 3rd pics from the top down. These shots have only the 2 cars in view. Thank you very much, Andrew.

[email protected]

Sport Button On - DSC Off FWK-Z8's Avatar

Z8 and e-Type

I had my garage open while working on one of my others cars. Only the tail of the Z8 was visible. I had someone stop and ask what series e-Type was in my garage. At the Blackhawk we just happenb to have a series I E-Type sititng behind the 507, so you can really see how the front derives from the 507 and the rear from the e-Type.

Two other cars I have bear an interesting relationship to the Z8: the 1969 ALFA Romeo Spider Veloce round tail and the MG TF. A banjo steering wheel and center mounted instruments are common to both the Z8 and TF (albeit they are separated by almost 350 HP, and the Z8 can land you in jail before the TF gets to 60). The Z8 shares its rounded tail, voluptuous fenders, streamlined lights and horizontal grilles with the final work of Battista Farina.

Interestingly it has a stylistic and historical link to yet another car - the Studebaker Champion. The vee'd prow and prominent pontoon fenders were features pioneered on the Studebaker. This is not surprising, as the 507's designer, Albrecht Graf Goertz was a protege of Raymond Loewy, the Studebaker's designer. These concepts moved from the Studebaker to the 507 and eventually the Z8, although the execution on the latter vehicles was much improved over the first.

So, elements of the Z8 design

can be traced back to Raymond Loewy? Very interesting. I do far preffer the Z8 to the 507. Especialy the rear end and more streamlined fron headlight/fender areas. Fisker had the benefit of hindsight, being able to incorporate the best of all the most beautiful sportscars, creating for us (in my opinion) the quintessential classic sports car shape. I think this is what captivates us all about the Z8.