Thread: Hamann 20" 18 spoke rims.

Hamann 20" 18 spoke rims.

Before anyone cries Ismelda Marcos, I know!! I just can't help it, these wheels just look sooo nice on the Z8.

Hamann are living in the thier dreams calling these "lightweight rims". They are almost exactly the same weight as the stock 18" wheels, meaning your only weight saving is in the tires, maybe 3 lbs a corner if you're lucky. These are the specs...

9.0x20 15mm offset - 31lbs (255/35 ZR20)
    10.5x20 25mm offset - 36lbs (285/30 ZR20)

Weight aside I love the way they look. While out on MITM I was really struck by how good ZAchterbahn's Breyton Magic 15 spoke rims looked on his car, and I'd seen the pictures of Martin's blue car in Dubai wearing the 18 spoked Hamann's which I also liked, so I decided to change shoes. Hey, the wife spends more on those that all my motoring expenses every year, so I don't feel I'm being too extravagent! Besides each set of wheels gives the car a different 'posture' and makes it fresh to photograph all over again.

Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

They do look great

Funny, I was just on TireRack today looking at wheels. One of the ones I really liked were very similar. They also came in chrome, which could look nice on my black car. How much do those weigh? Cost? What are your plans at Peter Pan? My kit is to be installed on the 30th (a couple days in the shop with other stuff included). Please call me if you have time to get together up here.

Ted & I are driving up on the 31st...

should get there around 3pm or so, and then I'm taking the red eye which leaves at around 10pm to NYC for a shoot on the 1st. It seems odd to spend Haloween in an airport, but such is my life!
    Andrew Macpherson

Andrew,

I was nearly buying those wheels. They are the wheels from ebay located in Germany right?
    Hattat

AF77768 Topasblau / Schwarz

PP installed
    Motorsport 20" style 101 wheels
    Eisenmann catback
    Supersprint headers
    CDV removed
    Quaife LSD
    3.64 gearing

They are the same ones!

Should be here in a day or three I hope.
    Andrew Macpherson

Breyton Magic Racing 19"

Andrew,

Thank you very much for the compliment on my wheels. Can't wait to see yours installed. I am running P Zero Asimmetrico tires on mine and am quite pleased.

Cheers,

Christian.

Turns out they aren't that lightweight at all....

these 20" Hamanns weigh in with the same numbers as the OEM wheels. These handsome rims are made as single piece cast aluminum wheels with added detailing (dummy studs and press on polished steel outer rims) to make it look as if they are two piece forged rims.

While I am disappointed by Hamann's lies stating they are lightweight, and the cheap and very heavy construction, I am very happy with the overall visual effect of the rims on the Z8. Not a wheel I'd advise anyone to buy, unless like me you just love the way it looks and have to have it. It isn't the best made or lightest wheel out there, but I haven't seen a wheel I prefer on the Z8 as yet.

Andrew Macpherson

Very nice, Andrew.
    thegunguy

How's the ride?

Given that the weight is so similar yet with the larger size and less sidewall?

The ride is fine...

but you can really feel the weight of the wheels over bumby bits of road. I am seriously thinking of following Ted's lead and putting the softer and better valved Alpina suspension in the car. They use Bilstien shocks, and springs with a 10mm lower ride height, both of which contribute to the Alpina's improved handling over the stock car.
    Andrew Macpherson

What about the Dinan springs?

and how much is it lowered? Don't they use stock struts? I'm looking for a more compliant set up myself, but like the lower ride height. I also figure a softer set up will be more gentle on the frame...long term. My car is off to the ARC soon for a repair to a minor weld repair.

Have you driven the Alpina?

Is the overall weight greater with your new wheels? Tire & rim combined?

in answer....

The EU spec Alpina has 3 advantages over the US spec Z8.
    It rides 10mm lower on their own springs.
    It uses specially valved Bilstiens (stock Z8 use Sachs).
    It rides on wider lower profile tires which aren't run flats.

I have driven the Alpina and it fells great, but it was not at a track where I could really discern a difference. The combination of the lower ride height, more compliant shocks, slightly stiffer rear spring rate (front spring rate is the same, it is just shorter/lower) and wider, lower profile tires all combine to give a better handling package.

Add to that our Dinan sways and castor plates and I think the Z8 will be both easy on the chassis and handle as well as it could without building a unique system like the Cartridge configuration.
    Andrew Macpherson

Are you sure about the weight issues..

And the spring rates? The Alpina engine weighs less (I think) but the transmission weighs a lot more. Might the slightly greater rear weight bias explain the higer rate rear springs? Wouldn't the rear rates at least be wrong for the Z8?

I spoke to J?rgen today about it...

and he is going to do some full investigations for us with the Alpina team, and try to understand what they did, and why. From casual conversations with one Alpina owner it seems they did a lot of testing of thier set up at the track driving very quickly, as they are used to making things go much, much faster than stock.
    More news as I get it.
    Andrew Macpherson

Some more Alpina mod info

Andrew, I added some additional information about the Alpina suspension in the Suspension section of the site.

Here is the link: http://www.bmwz8.us/vbb/showthread.p...referrerid=182fficeffice" />>>

As a wrap up on these wheels I thought that I'd add one more piece of info. Even though they are heavier than I'd like, I really love these wheels, they just look so right on the car. Every time I go into the garage I'm thrilled!

While the car was up at Peter Pan Dana added some BMW center caps, which finish them off nicely. If I find a better looking wheel I may yet change again, but these rims really suit the car well IMHO.

Andrew Macpherson