Thread: Front license plate

Front license plate

Looking at some of the photos in the gallery, I realized most people do not have the front end license plate. Z8 looks much better without one, but has anyone got into trouble for not having one?

Robert
    NYZ8

So far so good.....

I know it is illegal technically, but in CA so many cars go without that you'd have to be unlucky to get nailed.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

It's an added cost

In WA, the ticket would be about $85, but they can't stop you just for the missing plate. On a recent trip, we passed 4 sets of cops looking for revenue in about a 20 mile stretch without a second glance.

In 6 years, I've not been stopped for it, so $85 over 6 years would work out to be cheap for keeping my car looking good.

The 330 looks good without one too!

front license plates requirement

I did a google search for the front license plates requirement and came up with this site. Apparently, there are petitions out to abolish the front license requirement in several states. About 20 states across US does not require it, but the rest do.

Z8 has such a pretty front end without a plate.

http://www.google.com/search?q=+site...n&lr=&filter=0

I was pulled over once entering...

the Holland Tunnel in NYC on my way out of NY by what looked to be one very angry Port Authority Police Officer. He yelled at me to pull out of line right at the entrance. When he approached the car he told me that he saw me enter the tunnel the previous week and he had wanted to pull me over at that time. I did notice him looking at me but he was busy yelling at four young guys in a BMW 3 series. Long story short, I thought he was pulling me over for not having the front plate on the car, (I do have it in the glove compartment and carry the mount in the trunk in it's original box) but what he really wanted to know was what type of car I was driving as he had never seen one before! He turned out to be extremely nice and kept me talking about the car for 10 minutes!

Bottom line the car looks too nice with out the plate, and lousy with it on so I will continue to play the odds by keeping it in the glove box.

I got hassled by the police last night in the car...

The weather in TX is phenomenal right now. So, I couldn?t resist the urge to take the car to Austin for some meetings this week. On the way home on a two-lane road, I met a local sheriff coming the opposite direction. I was doing about eight over, and my bullet-proof Valentine never made a sound. All of the sudden, the sheriff slammed on his brakes, nearly causing wreck from traffic following him, and whips his car around to chase me. On come the lights, I pull over, they blind me with their spot lights, and the officer tells me that he has stopped me for doing thirteen over the posted limit. I go along with his accusation, even though I believe it?s bogus because 1. I had the cruise control set at 73 (posted 65), 2. BMW speedos notoriously read high, and 3. the Valentine never registered any signal. Anyway, he ends up giving me a warning after complementing me on the car and asking a few questions. I?m also pretty sure I heard his partner take a couple of pictures. Afterwards, they followed me for what seemed like forever. I guess it?s the price you pay for the most beautiful car on the road.

Oh, I have single plates on cars in Texas, and I have never had a problem. My guess is that it is only an issue if they?re looking to nail you for something or if you get a real jerk that wants to ?teach you a lesson?. Luckily most cops in Texas, at least out of the cities are genuinely courteous.
    thegunguy

Sport Button On
    Hi,

I'm new to this forum. But I've enjoyed reading it for quite a while now. I'd love to have my Z8 without the front plate. No chance in germany. Anyway the Z8 doesn't look that bad with the german plates since they pretty much fit the front bumber... no comparison to some other "victims" of the frontplate, e.g. Wiesmann GT, MB SLR.

Klaus

DSC Off

Talking In Texas, lack of front plates is not a 'Primary' offense

and so they will only add that on if you are pulled over for another offense. The fine's pretty low, so none of my cars carry a front plate.

Whenever an officer spots the Z8, they are more interested in what kind of car it is versus and will chat for extended periods. I have even escaped a ticket during a spirited run on the back roads. The officer requested that I revved the engine for him and with the eisenmann ....all he said was..wish I could afford one.

I got off lucky that day...

Sport Button On - DSC Off

in my youth...

...I was more than fortunate in my experience with law enforcement and speeding. Being stopped was not uncommon but being cited was. It didn't hurt to be polite.

But, now that I am in my 40's the breaks are few and far between. Only one citation in my Z8 (so far) but I was only doing 65 in a 55...and got written up for 5 over. I had only had her for a few days and had really hoped for a break.

Fortunately, MI did away with front plate requirement quite a few years ago.

Z8Mania
    When I took delivery over 6 years ago this was the question. I decided to put it on, but not to put the holes into the bumper. You can use the long screws and nuts to attach the front bumper plate holder to the lower grill instead. This way you do not have holes in your bumper. The downside is you now can scratch the bumper. If I had it to do over, I would have placed a small bit of cloth or other substance in between. There will probably be a little rubbing, but thats probably not as bad. I would also still consider to go "naked" and keep the plate in the trunk/ glove box with the explanation that the attachment didnt work and am awaiting a new one. Heres a picture from Day 1, late August, 2000!!!

Got a break!

Well, while enjoying the perfect day on Sunday, I took the Zed Sled out for a spirited run (meaning that the rubber does help sometimes) of some great country roads and then a spin through the city for excitement. On the way out on RT 83 (me and a Cayenne running north) I was pulled over by a MD State Trooper.

I pulled over and the Cayenne went on (I think faster than we were going before I was pulled over). Well the Trooper said he pulled me over for not having a front license plate (that was good to know as we were cruising about 30 over the limit when he spotted us from his hiding place). He asked me did I know I was missing a front license plate - I said yes - he asked me what I was doing - I said I was out for a Sunday cruise - and then he took my license and registration. I am thinking this is better than a reckless driving ticket!

Well, some SUV pulled over and got out of their car to ask for directions - the Trooper told them to get back into their car and he didn't like them pulling over like that - but I gave them some directions for Pittsburgh and the Trooper came back with my ticket about 10 minutes later.

He said - I am only giving you a warning today, here is some literature on MD license plates (I am thinking does he have a whole library of handouts in the car?) and to have a nice cruise.

So that was great and the cruise was a little less spirited, but wasn't dampened by a ticket to any degree. So I can still get a break. I think he was a little shocked when I said I know about not having a license plate and all I was doing was having a Sunday cruise in a great car. He was a younger guy and probable a car guy so it was nice to be a miss.

But I am sure I am in the db now and with one warning under my belt - the next time will be a ticket. So do I just let the nose of the car stay beautiful and pay the tickets? or do I mount the awful hole creating US license plate holder? or do I have a custom license plate made like a EU car and that way the mounting doesn't distract from the looks of the car? or do I try to do a temporary rig that may rub the paint?

Hmmm, so many options!
    Zed0037

#60217 Silver/Crema
    Built 07/2000

#60037 Silver / Red
    Built 01/2000 (Former Owner)

Daily Driver
    2014 Range Rover Sport Supercharged
    All blacked out, 21" wheels, chipped to 560hp

Hobby car 2009 Z4, dual exhaust, 19" M3 wheels

You know I've talked about it before, but if anyone has a good metal shop I have a clip-on clip-off design ready to go, I just need someone with a good shop to make it for us.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

the only time not having a front plate was even mentioned was ONCE coming through the Canadian border - and it was just "you're supposed to have a front plate aren't you?" and we've taken the Z8 through that border multiple times.

When my car was imported, the front license plate holder went on automatically as part of the inspection. I'm oblivious to it, looks fine to me.

Z8 Millennial Monster hayvenhurstkid's Avatar
    On my 911 turbo, I bought a front plate holder called a Pro Mount. You remove the little round cover in the front bumper where you would attach the hook to pull the car onto a flatbed truck, screw in a long bolt, attach a plate holder to the end of that bolt, and screw the plate onto that. It is a little off center, but there are no holes drilled into the front bumper and it is easily removable. Don't know if it will work on a Z8. Being a dealer, I am required to only run a rear dealer plate on the car. The Pro Mount is available from World Class Motoring in Agoura Hills, Ca. They are on the web. Andrew, Fred at World Class has an amazing metal fabricator who rents space from him in the back of his shop. May be worth a call to Fred at 818 706 9999.
    Marty

2001 Z8
    2014 Range Rover sport Autobiography
    2013 Ford Raptor
    2011 Porsche 911 turbo S coupe

Thanks Marty, I got their website and sent an email. They don't make one for the Z8, but they said send a picture of the tow hook beside a ruler and they can make one. So it looks like it will be easy to get one of these. This will work, I really don't want to mount the factory plate holder and this one will be firmly mounted on the tow hook, and that will keep it off the paint - thanks!
    Zed0037

#60217 Silver/Crema
    Built 07/2000

#60037 Silver / Red
    Built 01/2000 (Former Owner)

Daily Driver
    2014 Range Rover Sport Supercharged
    All blacked out, 21" wheels, chipped to 560hp

Hobby car 2009 Z4, dual exhaust, 19" M3 wheels

Team Z8

Not sure if this is what you're looking for...

If you're just looking for a way to pass inspection after the ticket has been issued I've put my front plate bracket on with velcro. We've got some 3M industrial strength adhesive backed velcro here at work...A few strips of this stuff and the bracket is locked in place. In fact, it's so firmly in place I wouldn't have any worry about driving with it. Clear-bra on the car means no possible paint damage when you're ready peel the velcro off.