Thread: M5 or M6 Wheels on a Z8 and Tyres

Z8 Novice

M5 or M6 Wheels on a Z8 and Tyres

Hello all

I have just bought a Black / Black Z8 for my wife and want to swap to non run-flat tyres as they seem to make the car drive as if the tyres are made of wood.

I looked at Alpina rims, but they are ?3000 including tyres which seems a bit steep (although I just missed a set on ebay for half the price).

However, I have seen some new M5 and M6 wheels for sale which I like the look of.

Has anyone fitted these wheels and how good a fit are they? What are the offsets for them and how would they compare to the Alpina wheels.

Also what size tyres did you use? In fact any opinions would be gratefully received.

Looking at Tyre choices it seems to come down to Pirelli P Zeros or Michelin Pilot Sport II's. Does anyone have a view on these as well please?

kind regards

Ron

Hey Ron,

Welcome aboard. It's always great to have a new participant in the fray, and congrats on the new Z8.

I don't know if you've seen it yet but there a thread with pics of the M6 wheel on black car - http://www.bmwz8.us/vbb/showthread.php?t=511
    Actually, I think there are three cars with the M6 wheel - all black. I've seen it in person, and it looks pretty good. However, it's a little too "open" for my taste.

I too have wondered about the new M5 wheel. Personally, I don't like wheels that stand out so much that they become a separate element, rather than a part of the whole. Like the OE wheel, I prefer a wheel design that blends harmoniously with the overall design of the car. I think the M5 wheel is an elegant design that would do just that - contribute to the overall design.

I don't know of anyone that has fitted the M5 wheel to a Z8, but it's just a matter or working out the offsets and clearances. I believe they are half an inch wider front and rear, which would be welcome.

In the mean time, let's see some pics of your new addition.
    thegunguy

Sport Button On - DSC Off Z8-NL's Avatar
    I have just fitted the M6 wheels and traded in my 20"Alpina wheels.
    They fit perfectly als with the Brembo big brake kit which has been fitted to my Black/black Z8.
    The M6 wheels are 19" and give bit more comfort that the 20" ones.

Good luck
    Z8-NL

Z8 Novice
    I understand that the M6 wheels are the same width size front and back - is that correct please? Also, what make and size tyres have you fitted please?

regards
    Ron

Sport Button On - DSC Off Z8-NL's Avatar
    no as with the Alpina wheels the rear ones are slightly wider.

tires: front 255-40-19-ZR and rear 285-35-19-ZR
    Michelin Pilot Sport 2

According to the BMW site in the U.S., the M6 wheels are 8.5 and 9.5, like the M5 wheels.

http://www.bmwusa.com/vehicles/M/m6coupe/techdata.htm

My guess would be that the offsets are the same as well. You might find some additional data about these wheels on the "M5Board" at m5board.com.
    thegunguy

Sport Button On
    Quote Originally Posted by thegunguy View Post
    According to the BMW site in the U.S., the M6 wheels are 8.5 and 9.5, like the M5 wheels.

My guess would be that the offsets are the same as well. You might find some additional data about these wheels on the "M5Board" at m5board.com.
    AFAIK:

M5 offset rear: 28
    M6 offset rear: 17

Sport Button On - DSC Off Dogsbreath's Avatar

Ron - tires

Ron - I am running Dunlops which have been great. I do not know if they make them for the 19 inch wheel. I got mine through Tire Rack

dave p