Thread: New Charger

New Charger

While I await the "fix" (too hot in Texas to drive anyway), I am continuing to chip away at the lightweight battery project. In preparation of switching to the Odyssey, I have purchased a new charger to replace the OE BMW (Deltran) tender.

The new charger is by AccuMate, and the model that I selected is the 12V/7A model. This model has two modes, one of which is designed to work with the sealed Odyssey batteries. The charging cycle has four stages, similar to the OE BMW tender; however, 7A vs. 1.25A provides a quicker charging cycle for low batteries and is better suited to the Odyssey.

The charger has a modular plug system that accepts the "cigarette" style DIN plug for either auto or motorcycle/ATV (similar to OE unit), "alligator" clips, hard-wire harness, and a weather-proof harness. I am currently using the DIN plug, but I am going to attempt to wire the weather-proof plug near the rear license plate for a more "custom" installation.

Anyway, whether you're looking to switch to the Odyssey or not, you may check out the AccuMate line of chargers. Pricing is reasonable from a handfull of online merchants.
    thegunguy

Thanks!

The Odyssey killed the OEM BMW charger in about 2 days.

OK, I tried several online vendors but could not find this model, Which site did you use?

Sport Button On - DSC Off

Did you try www.smartchargers.com?

I tried their website and it appears they have it in stock. At least they are willing to take my money via Paypal.

Just Google "Accumate Pro". Here's a couple - wide price variance!

http://www.batterymart.com/p-ACC-12V7A-S.html
    http://www.motionpro.com/motorcycle/partno/08-0371/
    thegunguy

Ordered and on it's way. Thanks for the link!

I installed the odyssey charging system from accumate with out drilling any new holes, and it exits the truck behind the license plate so the car can be locked up tight.

The first two pics show the battery and the new custom length ground cable. The carpet on the right side of the trunk lefts out easy to access the grounding post. I also connected the ground lead for the accumate to this post. I a boat I would have secured the little wires with screwed in clamps but I did not want to drill any holes. Plus the carpet holds the wires snug.

How about a pic of how you routed the charger cable out the back? I'm behind on my project, but I'm re-inspired by your post. Nice grounding strap.
    thegunguy

Also above you can see the Accumate postive wire (with 15amp fuse) is connected directly to the postive battery post clamp,

I lengthened the accummate wires with 14 guage marine wire. I used marine heat shrink over all connections to keep them watertight. I then removed the vent cover in the rear of the trunk. First pull the top out towards the front, then lift straight up. No tools needed.

I then ran the wires through the vent. I did make a 1 centimeter cut in the light rubber flap to allow the wires to pass and still let the rubber flap to seal all the way down. This flap allow air out to ease trunk closing but keeps water out (hard to imagine water getting that far up there)

Last, I ran the wires out a factory hole just to the side of the license plate gromet. Putting a rubber gromet in around the wire was the hardest part of the job.

BTW sorry of the spelling and blurry pics. I will keep my day job.

Finished!

Today I picked up the plastic I had machined to fill the space (and grip the battery) between the factory strap and the the odessey battery. There extensions down the battery sides and a valley for the strap to reside within. I used one stainless screw to be sure nothings jumps out of place. it is very secure.

I have extra plastic if anyone wants to do the same.

Any photos of the plug ends that you connect to outside the vehicle?

Also, several months ago I did some field testing and wrote a review about the lightweight (4 Lbs) Voltphreaks car battery

http://voltphreaks.com/home.html

Several studies have been done about reducing the weight in the Z3's and Z4's and a major consideration that needs to be kept in mind is that these cars are "balanced" and the weight and placement of the battery works into that equation. So when you remove the 40 or 50 lbs of battery, you are changing the performance dynamics of the rear end. In my article I stated that this is a passionate desire of those who track their cars and it works since most of them are trained to drive, corner, drift, etc. But for the average driver who's idea of "spirited driving" is negotiating the corners in a parking garage, this change of weight can be deadly.

And if you are interested, many of the folks who track their Z3's, go so far as to remove the weights that are mounted in the rear bumpers. Strange huh?

Scott

http://www.bmwz8.us/vbb/showthread.php?t=558

Just Google Odyssey for online/local sources.

The basics of the wiring kit and male/female ends come with the Accumate charger. You have to lengthen the wiring, but it's a really simple job.
    thegunguy

I did right after I posted and then deleted the post.

I'd like to see photos of the finished project, mainly the external plug.

Thanks!

Scott

Fused Weatherproof Permanent Lead
    http://www.accumate.com/pro/12v7a/a_weather.php

A better shot from the UK
    http://www.accumate.co.uk/it020005.htm

The Voltfreaks is popular in the Lotus community too, but the cost and questionable reliability have caused most to hold in a "wait and see" attitude.
    thegunguy

Thanks.

Scott