Thread: Is this sad?

Question Is this sad?

I'm still on my first set of brake pads, but now I have my third battery...

Ok, the first battery was killed by the phone problem, but I still should be driving more.

Sport Button On

do you use a battery tender?

BMW makes a nice one (sure similar ones are available for less without BMW badging) that plugs into your lighter socket. Since my '02 is a garage queen, I keep it plugged into the tender at all times. Original battery is still good, but am replacing it today with an Interstate since 4 years is supposed to be the approximate life of the OEM battery. All the electronics on the newer cars means that there is often a drain on your battery after you've turned the car off, even if all systems are functioning as designed.

I don't use a tender

But I got almost 6 years out of an OEM battery, replaced yesterday with a new OEM - I'm not a good enough driver that the weight matters to me.

Z8Mania
    I've had various techs remark to me that all auto batteries are good for 4-5 years. So 6 years is excellent. I got 5 years on mine. I'm sticking with OEM battery.

I've always had the 4 year rule....

as being what a lead acid battery is capable of, but I'm wondering about trying one of the dry cell alternatives that have been discussed here recently, not because I'll notice the weight saving in my gentle road driving manner, but because it is always fun to try new things. As my car is an '02 with just a few months left on the original warranty I guess it's time!
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Sport Button On

evidence for the 4-year rule

Guys:

I had read about the 4-year rule and thought I'd replace the battery in my late '02 for preventive reasons - I'd never had any trouble with it and had kept it constantly on a tender since I got the car. The day I went to pick up my new battery the car wouldn't start (see my related "Help" post), despite the fact that the OEM battery "eye" was showing green (i.e., fully charged). Took my other car, picked up the new battery and installed it (a bit of a PITA), and the car then fired right up. I gather from similar postings that others have had the same experience. So, if I had an OEM battery that was around 4 years old, I'd seriously consider replacing it before it dies.

Mike