Thread: A new coupe....

A new coupe....

BMW has apparently put together a prototype lightweight coupe called the Z29. Based on the Z4, the car is said to weight just over 2,500 pounds. It features the same engine as the Z4 M and M3, and is built of aluminum and carbon fiber. 0-62 mph takes around four seconds. Further details remain very sparse, and it's not clear if the car is a project between BMW and a tuner, or if hints to a forthcoming model.

Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Yep, and the front (grey part in the skeleton illustration) is pure aluminum........
    Best regards, Dieter

Funny thing is....

that you can't really see where the front suspesion mounts up, and there are no obvious shock tower crowns in that little digram. However the great success of the chassis in my Lotus leaves me convinced Alumium isn't the issue here, it's doing your calculations right so you use enough of it in the right places to be solid and stable.

Dieter, here is my next purchace - I've decided to go for total dedication, no more road & track compromises for me!

Andrew Macpherson

Wow that's perfect

I hope it will fit me. Plenty of headroom! Please tell me more.

What a fabulous new car!

It's outstanding!
    I wish you many happy, exhilarating, fun & safe days at the track with your new toy. . . Enjoy, ENJOY!
    Do a lap or 2 for me. I'm still trying to master my 330xi. If we were on the track together you would do 3 laps for my 2!!
    Silly question, but does this mean that you'll have to start truckin' it to the track, or can you still plate it if you wanted to?
    Congratulations
    Evie

Trucking it is....

The Mrs. has kindly allowed me to use her Range Rover as my track day puller, so all I need is a little trailor, which may well also do double duty getting the Z8 out to future drives. I tried all the best track day cars, the M3, GT3 and Elise before giving up the Road & Track compromise with a dedicated tracker and trailor.
    Andrew Macpherson

Z8 Madness

The Lotus is Nice.

Can you get that with the steering on the left side?

I've been considering one of these:

I think they are road legal as well.
    62050 - Z8

Z8 Madness

Links

Here are some links. Make sure to watch the two videos.

http://www.arielatom.com/
    62050 - Z8

I too have wondered about the Atom. Can you put it on the road in the US?
    thegunguy

Yes.....

It can be registered as a kit car in most states, just like the Shelby replicas etc, but you have to do your homework to do it. They were also on my shopping list, but in the end I decided against them due to their rather 'drift car' driving style. Sliding is fun, but it isn't the fastest way round, as the Radicals clearly demonstrate. I'm hoping that the Lotus Circuit Car will be as wild & fun as the Atom, but with some of the aero advantages of the Radical.
    Andrew Macpherson

And if you're looking for a lil' more torque up front...

try the Atom with an electric motor - ala the WrightSpeed X1. It's quoted as 0-60 in 3 seconds, but I thought that I saw 2.8 somewhere. And here I thought it wasn't possible to get enough traction in a 2 wheel drive car to get to that territory.

http://wrightspeed.com/index.html

Z8 Novice
    I've had an Ariel Atom for almost three years - fantastic car - makes just about anything else seem slow... if you want lots more information try the Ariel Atom Owners Forum.

http://forum.atomclub.com/

regards
    Ron

How is it as a road car?

I see you are in Somerset, not too far from where I grew up (Beaulieu in the New Forest). How is it as an all round summer fun car, any problems with other road users seeing you, dirt, flies in the eyes etc?
    Andrew Macpherson

Z8 Novice
    Hi Andrew

yes I live a couple of hours away from Beaulieu at most.

You asked about the atom for summer driving and how I got it - I saw the Atom only out of curiosity - as I live in Somerset, I thought that I would go along to have a look as they make them in Somerset (and now under license in the US)

I was hooked for several reasons - first the looks - it was really a "boys toy" - I'd thought about buying a fast motorbike and then realised that the last one I rode had 3 1/2bhp and leaked oil - also I knew in my heart that BBC's Top Gear commentator Clarkson's comments that " I was middle aged and would look ridiculous in my leather romper suit.......that I was almost certainly going to crash...... and that someone that I probably didn't like very much was going to end up with my eyes" was true.

Then I drove it and had the adrenaline rush of a truly fast car, something that I had never experienced before, because I was neither a world class racing driver or a Billionaire.

I then looked at the build quality - it wasn't a cobbled together kit car made out of tinfoil - it was massive tubular steel chassis, beautifully put together, that I could drive on a normal road.

By this time I was just convincing myself how right this decision was, but I knew that it had a Honda VTEC engine and gearbox (Ecotec in the US) and remembered a director of Honda who had had said about the NSX I owned at the time - that Honda had never had a warranty claim on any of the 25m+ VTEC engines in the world that they had sold and I was hooked.

So what did I do - absolutely nothing - I sat around procrastinating, reading car articles about Atoms trying to justify buying this pointless, expensive, impractical toy.

So why did I buy one? My wife who also test drove it, told me to just go and buy one! Probably something to do with why I love her and have just bought her a Z8 as a present.

So what is an Atom - a great car, fun on a warm Sunday morning, reliable as an IWC watch, a pleasure to own, a blat around a track day and one of the few cars in the world that small children and old people will wave at you in. It has also proven to have glacial depreciation and cost virtually nothing to run.

With all this taken into account, I can't think of another car that can offer so much at the price. I drive it with US army goggles in the summer as they have Lexan lenses and of course you get hit by the odd insect or stone chip but it makes the sensation of driving the car even more fun.

My wife and I have been to the Classic Le Mans in it, using helmets and BMW Motorcycle oversuits to go there and its fine for a few hours at a time.

regards
    Ron

That really does sound like fun!

Thanks for the great review. My Dad is addicted to his Grinnall Scorpion, a mad modern Morgan powered by a BMW 1000cc bike engine, he is always heading off in it to different rallies and events.

Andrew Macpherson

Z8 Novice
    One too few wheels for me Andrew, but I get everything else! from being in an Atom.....

Ariel Atom 0-30 1.51 0-60 3.32 0-100 6.95 Reaction Time 0.12 100-0 3.93 Overall 11.00

Suzuki GSX-R1000 0-30 1.61 0-60 3.30 0-100 5.60 Reaction Time 0.10 100-0 5.10 Overall 10.70

Bugatti Veyron 0-30 1.40 0-60 2.80 0-100 5.50 Reaction Time 0.20 100-0 4.20 Overall 9.9

regards
    Ron