• I really enjoyed our car being in a 007 film

18 39.13%
  • I didn't care either way

22 47.83%
  • I thought it was clumsy product placement in a cheesy film

6 13.04%

Thread: Who really cares about Bond?

Who really cares about Bond?

I have always been surprised by the amount of pleasure that owners derived from our cars role in James Bond, and so I thought I'd throw this poll out there to see what everyone really thinks about it.

When I grew up in England in the sixties that AM DB5 was as big a star as Sean Connery. No other Bond car (or Bond) can ever match it as an icon of it's time. Those were in the days before product placement was even thought of, and Mr. Bond drove an AM simply because it was the best of British and he was a British agent, not because it brought the biggest purse to the producer's pocket. Formula 1 cars were proudly painted in either national or factory colors, and helmets adorned with just a flag or badge then too, an innocent time of bravery without banners.

Bond was written in the time of the cold war, and was written by a man who knew war as the defining chapter of his youth, but times have changed and things moved on. Keeping the Bond franchise alive seems as relevant as Rocky 16. Like Bond you can't deny that Rocky was awesome in his day, and 'Eye of the Tiger' was a great track too, but IMHO that day has long since passed.

However I often find myself wishing that our car was simply a great car, not a car associated with a product placement I never would have chosen for it, forever playing second fiddle to an AM whose gearbox and clutch couldn't get you to Edinburgh and back, let alone Santa Fe. Who or what would I have chosen for it? I think I'd have preferred a longer version of those great shorts that BMW put out back then with Clive Owen.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Question clumsy product placement in a cheesy film

In the film the Z8 finished sliced like a fine swiss chesse. Maybe it was an advertisment of what could happen with the rest of Z8 if you get one.

Quote Originally Posted by macfly
    I have always been surprised by the amount of pleasure that owners derived from our cars role in James Bond, and so I thought I'd throw this poll out there to see what everyone really thinks about it.

When I grew up in England in the sixties that AM DB5 was as big a star as Sean Connery. No other Bond car (or Bond) can ever match it as an icon of it's time. Those were in the days before product placement was even thought of, and Mr. Bond drove an AM simply because it was the best of British and he was a British agent, not because it brought the biggest purse to the producer's pocket. Formula 1 cars were proudly painted in either national or factory colors, and helmets adorned with just a flag or badge then too, an innocent time of bravery without banners.

Bond was written in the time of the cold war, and was written by a man who knew war as the defining chapter of his youth, but times have changed and things moved on. Keeping the Bond franchise alive seems as relevant as Rocky 16. Like Bond you can't deny that Rocky was awesome in his day, and 'Eye of the Tiger' was a great track too, but IMHO that day has long since passed.

However I often find myself wishing that our car was simply a great car, not a car associated with a product placement I never would have chosen for it, forever playing second fiddle to an AM whose gearbox and clutch couldn't get you to Edinburgh and back, let alone Santa Fe. Who or what would I have chosen for it? I think I'd have preferred a longer version of those great shorts that BMW put out back then with Clive Owen.

Z8 Novice

Definitely frame damage.......

But do you think it was due to enthusiastic driving on bad roads???.......hmmmmm.

It was a great way to avoid further doming...

Honestly, I have never seen the movie, I disliked the idea of seeing the Z8 being destroyed.

Bond is Connery, and Connery is Bond. Period.

And while we're at it: Jim Clark was the best race driver ever, together with Antony Colin Bruce Chapman they made the impossible possible.
    Best regards, Dieter

clumsy product placement in a cheesy film

wrong............ This is the last option we have if BMW do not support us. 007 means all of us can make a movie and be famous: I am sure a title like one of the best movies of 007 never says never. So we can name ours "Never, Never, Never Again Purchase a......" could be the best Bond movie for years!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cook
    But do you think it was due to enthusiastic driving on bad roads???.......hmmmmm.

I never even think about our car being used in the movie, but it doesn't really bother me that it was. Actually, I wouldn't mind having a set of those side-gill mounted rocket launchers. Does anyone have the BMW part number?

I guess I have two products from BMW's three film Bond deal. The R1200C was in Tomorrow Never Dies.

There's no replacing Sean Connery, but the new guys hardly have a chance to compare to Mr. Connery now that the movies have just become two hour commercials. The franchise has become pretty watered down. It's the fault of all of you guys out in Hollywood!
    thegunguy

Hollywood has much to answer for...

including me being able to own a Z8!!

I hear the newest Bond had some problems with his new AM. The producers forget to check of thier new metrosexual agent for the 21st century could drive a stick. He only drives auto - the stick shift AM they delivered to the set was beyond his abilities, or desire to learn!

I rest my case, Bond should have stopped with Connery!
    Andrew Macpherson

Z8 Novice
    I don't know if anyone else has experienced this, but sometimes when I'm explaining what the car is to someone who hasn't heard of a Z8, I'll mention that it was the James Bond car in World Is Not Enough. And then the person will say, "Oh yeah....I remember that one. But I thought it was called a Z3?" Which then makes me sound like a snob when I have to explain the Z8 is a (ahem) much different car than the Z3....and a different movie. Maybe I should stop using the Bond reference....

-Dawn

I enjoyed it being in Bond

I enjoyed seeing it in Bond movies. I also enjoy seeing it in other movies.

Not a reason for owning the car, but fun. I don't mention it others that it was a Bond car.

Connery is a definite 007 icon but not sure....

whether he is the best "Bond". I would bet that had Pierce Brosnan been the first, and Sean Connery come along after -- you all would say the same about Pierce so, is it really worth debating?

As far as the Z8 being a Bond car -- I actually like the product placement. It is fun for me to see it and makes it an easy reference for me to inform the ingnorant about what BMW the car is and EVERYONE admires the car more once they find out that fact. The other movie you could use as a reference is another action film with actor -- Jackie Chan in The Tuxedo, who also stars ironically, another ex-Bond, Timothy Dalton, who is also playing another secret agent. The Z8 Silver/Red makes an appearance there too, and is a spy car except it is driven by the lovely Jennifer Love Hewitt, who compliments the car beautifully. (btw, they do not cut the car in half either)

I would also like a set of those rocket lauchers (er, the ones on the car, not Jennifer Love Hewitt) and the laser heads up display in the center of the steering wheel (instead of the airbag). I have had mulitple opportunities on the Roads around my town to use them.... like when the damn rock trucks are pelting everyone behind them without having their tarp tied down properly -- it brings a new meaning to the word "roadrage".
    Best Regards,

Jeff
    61995 Silver /// Rot - Original Owner
    Z8 Club of Germany e.V. #102

Sport Button On - DSC Off mollyshark's Avatar
    Of course you have to love Connery as Bond, but I must admit to being a Brosnan fan from the old Remington Steele days (I recently watched a DVD of season one...that hair!!!!!).

I mention it (the Bond association) to people when they say "what IS that!" I've also found myself responding "it's a Z12 or Z44" or just about anything and they always go "WOW." Great fun. Is that why I bought it? Nah. I saw one in a parking lot at the Fort Worth Japanese Garden and stopped dead in my tracks. It was black with red interior. I circled it like a shark to a small seal. Couldn't find where to order one, so I got the Z4 to hold me over. Was a good thing...the upkeep of black wore me down living out here in the country with dust blowing every day. When you open up a can of peaches and there is dust in it, you know this stuff is powerful. Then I found the red one online and it yelled take me. So I'll take the Z8 and Pierce Brosnan and...well...will keep the rest to myself.

Quote Originally Posted by mollyshark
    So I'll take the Z8 and Pierce Brosnan and...
    a can of peaches without dust, I guess?
    Best regards, Dieter

I like the fact that it's in the movie but I seldom use the "Bond" reference. However, I've had numerous gawkers/lookey-loos tell ME that it's the car from "The World Is Not Enough". I find this kind of amusing because this reference usually falls into 2 categories:

1) They are either looking for validation of their recollection or "reminding" ME that it was in the movie - in case I didn't know of course. Once confirmed, they are nearly always more impressed than before. (I think they try to visualize the rockets in the gills, etc.) - OR -
    2) They're simply showing off their wealth of movie/car knowledge to their friends who are usually duly impressed.

Bond's Z8 in TWINE video

For the Bond minded amongst you there is a glimpse of the orginal car crossing Chelsea Bridge in London in this video of the film's theme song by Garbage.
    Andrew Macpherson

I must confess I own both the The World is not Enough and The Tuxedo DVD's
    because of the cars appearance.

BTW, I have a spare copy of The Tuxedo, so first to claim it can have it.

Unhappy Enjoyed seeing the BMW's in Bond films...

My wife is funny. She says there never has been a James Bond since Connery! The genre did make $$ with a variety of Bond actors. I seems to be a matter of preference. I would put Connery first and Brosnan second but that is IMHO.

I absolutely fell in love with the Z3 when it was introduced in the Bond film. I had to have it and waited until I could get the 6 cyl in the Atlanta Blue - like in the movie. The remote controled 750 was a wonderful car in the movie. I came close and owned a 740 iL. When I ordered my Z8 I was told there would be at least a year's wait - it ended up being closer to 18 months... I was enjoying the Z3 immensley when my wife, who had bought it for me as a retirement present, saw photos of the Z8 in one of my car mags and encouraged me to buy it (she didn't know the sticker price.....) Then she enjoyed seeing it the movie while we were waiting for delivery.

I have a car shrine in our family room. As a retired guy with time on my hands, I spent a winter searching for and finding a model of every car I have ever owned. In the center of the display is a plastic covered box with a model of each of the Bond BMW's with the movie name as a label...it is really kinda neat.

I don't know whether it is a true story or not but I have been told that the reason that the AM is now being used in Bond movies is a reaction to BMW buying Rolls Royce. Seems the Brits were a little bent out of shape that their premier car was now owned by a foreign company so returned to a truely British car the AM... ...makes a good story true or not.

It's all about the $$$

Product placement in films is a huge business here in Hollywood. Having your car be a Bond car is a huge investment on the part of a car maker, but it also seems to pay great dividends. I think if BMW had had a car to follow the Z8 they might have used Bond again, but my guess is that Ford's take over of AM gave AM the cash it had lacked to buy a spot in Bond's world. Now that Ford are selling AM it'll be interesting to see who buys it, and if they will consider the Bond connection a worthy investment.

What does a car placement with Bond cost? Hard to find out for sure, but I've asked a few friends here in the biz and they guestimate in the region of ten million. To put that in perspective that buys you the production costs of a couple of car commercials or about 80 TV slots to show them, 10 during the superbowl, so when you compare bang for the buck maybe Bond isn't so bad, and for sure none of us remember the car commercials from 1998!
    Andrew Macpherson

Sport Button On

It was a Fiberglass model

Quote Originally Posted by gordini View Post
    In the film z8 finished sliced like a fine swiss chesse. Maybe was an advertiment of wath could happen with the rest of z8 if you get one.
    No Z8s were harmed in the making of the film.

Picked up the "Ultimate Edition" box set with The World is Not Enough. The bonus disk includes some additional footage of the Z8, inlcuding the Garbage video.
    thegunguy

Z8Mania
    This might be the only reason to do it. Thanks for the info. TWIE has 2- err- 3- reasons to watch it...

I will take the Tuxedo.

Scott Pettit

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Pettit View Post
    I will take the Tuxedo.

Scott Pettit
    It was claimed quite a while ago - I didn't think about posting it was gone.