Thread: Carmel to LA, Nov 2002

Carmel to LA, Nov 2002

The legendary Highway 1 is best driven well off season, when the traffic is sparse, and the road can be enjoyed fully.

Once out of Carmel you are on one of the most incredible coast roads in the world. The wall of the American continent towers above you to the east, as the fog patched Pacific stretches to the horizon in the west. The road clings to every contour of the land, producing a driver?s dream. Unparalleled views, and really interesting driving for around 90 miles, until the range falls back from the coast, at Hurst castle, and then Cambria.
    I always head inland from here, taking the 46 to Templeton, then go south on the 101 for about ten miles, and back east on the 58 once again, and if time allows, make a right at the junction with the 33, and take it all the way south, through the open desert and forests of nodding donkeys to Taft, and up over the mountains into Ojai, a wonderful alpine drive right after the desert.
    Once past Ojai it is a leisurely cruise east along 101 again, till the PCH, and then finish up the drive with a last bit of coastline back into LA.

This drive will give you such an incredible variety of scenery, and an even deeper appreciation of the beauty of California, and the joyous handling abilities of the Z8!

An hour after dawn on Highway 1, just south of Bixby Creek Bridge.

Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Ever driven the "old coast road"? Its (or was) a dirt road that winds through the mountains. It was used before the Bixby bridge was built. You can see it in your photo, the cut in the mountain just before the bridge, when heading south. I haven't been on it since the late 70s/early 80s, but it should still be open, as there are some homes and ranches up there. I seem to recall that it is alot of fun (rally style) perhaps 20mi long, then joins back up with the main highway. Rent a Subi in Monterey and drive to big sur for lunch?

I lived in Carmel for about 10 years (my parents are stilll there). In Highschool, my friends and I would race to big sur and back in the wee hours. Good fun! My favorite roadsign in the world is on that road heading south, the one with the curves squiglly arrow........"next 86mi" (as I recall).

Ive got in-laws in LA, keep meaning to take the Z8 down hwy 1. Thanks for the tips, I'm not very familiar with the road south of big sur.

Smile What a great place to grow up!

I did once take that old road in a rental, it is stunning, but if I remeber it is partly on private land, and I'm not sure if you can go all the way anymore. I love exploring, and am always off on the back roads where ever I can find them. You must know the G16 Carmel Valley > King City road too, that is such a blast, also be an awesome Subi road.

The first time I came to the are was for the inaugural Motorcycle GP at Laguna Seca back in '88, when I was doing a lot of work with the Yamaha/Marlboro team. I went every year they held them, till '93 I think it was, and it was those trips that inspired me move here. The best roads on the planet in CA & NV. Leaves the Alps, and the outer extremities of the UK in the dust, way too many junctions, villages, sheep, police, etc, ect.

I can only imagine the fun of having all those roads as your youthful playground, lucky you!!
    Andrew Macpherson

Carmel valley etc.

Yes I lived on Quail Lodge, before the concourse Italiano was started 1974-1979 full time, then went away to college, but went back often to vist/summer. My Girlfriend lived in the village up the valley, and we had some land up in Cahagua (sp?). Use to know every turn pat.

The other fun was 17mi drive in PB. while watching TV with my friends, 1-2am in PB, one of us would suddenly grab our keys and run out of the house, the other 2-3 guys would scramble to follow. This was our modified Le Mans start. We would then race the original racing circuit, and see who made it home first. Happily, nobody was ever MIA after the dash! Pretty unnerving dodging cypress trees at speed (in the dark).

Don't get me started on the games we would play with the PB police. One time I had two chasing me around 1am, lights, sirens and all, and I had two cheq. girls who hardly spoke English, in the back of my parents wagoneer. Got blocked in once, slamed it into reverse, did a bootleg turn, and Hit over 100 a few times, lost them in the esses between the polo fields and the turn off for the Lodge. Talk about 4-weel drive drifts!!

Crazy fun times. Glad I survived my youth! Now I take it to the track. (mostly)

Talking That's hilarious!!

Reminds me of similar madness in the New Forest where I grew up. Not unlike Carmel & PB, it is now National Heritage area, as well as a major tourist destination, so there's a blanket 40mph limit on all the roads I grew up pushing 140 on!

Ah well, everything changes, happily we still have the tracks, and the backroads!
    Andrew Macpherson

The 58 and Highway 1 off season are a driver's heaven!

I just did the drive up to San Mateo from LA today, and it was just incredible, sunny, clear, and in the 60's-low 70's, perfect convertible weather, I did the whole 360 mile trip top down.

Highway 1 is a recognized national treasure, but it's a slow road compared to the incredible 58 that goes from Button Willow up to Santa Margarita. Along with the Angles Crest Highway and the 1, this road is truly one of our national treasures, a real driver's dream!

Each a glimpse, and gone forever - postcards from the 58 & 1.

Andrew Macpherson

Fiona

Andrew...It's great to see you getting out and about with some regular seat time in Fiona. These cars are just too good to not enjoy them where they're meant to be - the open road. I look forward to see more pics of your adventures.

next trip is Scottsdale......

so hope to see you there, and maybe we can take that drive to the hill top you guys found the other day.
    Andrew Macpherson

I'm sure we can arrange that. Looking forward to your arrival.