Thread: I just recieved this email.......

I just recieved this email.......

As I think you all know I have run this site on an 'owner only' basis, so when someone registers to join the site and they aren't an owner, I always ask them why they want to join. This keeps the site troll free, and the information pertinent. I get about three or four a week, and usually never hear back when I ask why they want to join, but this week I got this response from John Stewart which I thought was well worth sharing with everyone.

I do not own a Z8 but I was ABOUT to seriously start looking to buy a Z8 for it has been on my shortlist of great cars that I wanted to own.

My purpose for joining your forum was that I was going to share my experiences with your members. In summary: I have the money; I have the will to purchase but I am appalled at how BMW is dealing with
    a.) how they engineered the Z8 with the frame issue
    b.) how corporately they are responding to your valid concerns.
    Consequently, I now have crossed this beautiful vehicle off my list and am looking at other alternatives. I was going to applaud your efforts as a group.

I have heard it said that for every person who takes the time to write to complain about something there are a hundred who don't. I do hope that BMW NA will stand up and deal with the frame situation honorably, as their name and our cars are both being devalued by the status quo.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Andrew, thank you from us non-owners.

After "lurking" and reading for over a year, I joined last October for the same reason as Mr. Stewart. After two years of saving my nickels and driving a clapped out "hooptie" on the streets of Seoul, I was planning on going all out on the purchase of a new sports car when I returned to the states this summer. I gave serious consideration to the new ZO6, 997S, and 987S, but none of them could compare to the car I had lusted over since it was first released. Unfortunately, BMW's handling of this issue has put the Z8 dream on hold and insured I will never buy a new BMW.

As this saga drags on, I am becoming convinced a better course of action will be to wait for the prices on Ford GT's to eventually drop to a level that makes that dream car attainable. If I can't wait that long, there's always the new Aston Martin...

Best Regards,
    Jason
    speed is life

Sport Button On - DSC Off mollyshark's Avatar
    Actually, that's pretty silly. So far, even the people with "damage" have driven their cars with lust for years and they still handle like a dream (the drivers and the cars!). Cars are machines and machines have problems. Companies are made of people and people have problems. Even if BMW handled this episode beautifully it doesn't guarantee they would handle the next one as well. Management changes, workers change, stockholders change. Sure I would like this issue fixed and will do whatever is required to get it done. But does that stop me from owning it or driving it? Nope. If that were the case, the only cars I would ever drive would be chosen by Consumer Reports.

Dear John, Jason, and any others deciding not to buy a Z8 after falling in love with it,
    Good luck and best wishes for whatever car you decide on, but beware of the feeling deep in your stomach every time you get in. You won't be able to help yourself thinking something like "wow, this is a cool car, but I wish it was as (pick one...)beautiful, classic, unusual, powerful, graceful, exotic as the Z8 I looked at and passed on. The only question life has time for is "should I have gotten the red one instead of this one?"

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by mollyshark
    Actually, that's pretty silly. So far, even the people with "damage" have driven their cars with lust for years and they still handle like a dream (the drivers and the cars!). Cars are machines and machines have problems. Companies are made of people and people have problems. Even if BMW handled this episode beautifully it doesn't guarantee they would handle the next one as well. Management changes, workers change, stockholders change. Sure I would like this issue fixed and will do whatever is required to get it done. But does that stop me from owning it or driving it? Nope. If that were the case, the only cars I would ever drive would be chosen by Consumer Reports.
    ABSOLUTELY !!!
    Skip Hammerman

2002 BMW Z8 - Meisterschaft GT, PP installed, CDV delete
    2013 BMW X3
    2015 Porsche 911 Targa 4S

@mollyshark

good point!

Molly, as always you are a breath of fresh air!

Even if BMW handled this episode beautifully it doesn't guarantee they would handle the next one as well.
    I've been amazed at BMW NA's behavior during this case, it reminds me very much of the of the tobacco company in The Insider. I feel like I'm living in a Michael Moore documentary, and to be honest I'm considering submitting this whole tragic tale to his company, since I have a friend who works there. However I guess we need to give BMW some more time to see if they can find their honor between now and Christmas.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Funny thing about posting on the internet, sometimes your posts can come across with a bit of a stern edge where none was intended.

I appreciate the comments. As a die hard gear head I can truly appreciate a car that inspires passion and loyalty in its owners. If not for the lingering questions surrounding the frame issue, I would not have any reservations regarding buying a Z8. As much as I like the car, the price of admission leads me to be patient and cautious. I would like to see how the frame situation and the fix/performance upgrade develop, before making a decision.

Of course I say that now. Knowing my sense of self restraint, I'll probably buy the first one I test drive.

Ken, I agree with your recognition of life's ultimate question.

Best Regards,
    Jason
    speed is life

DSC Off
    I agree with Molly. Anything that is high maintainence has problems. It doesn't matter if it is a person or a car. BMW has certainly not done a very classy job on this frame issue and has even added a hidden insult to this whole thing by planning to come out with a new version of a Z8. In a way, BMW has betrayed their own marketing concept of making this car a very limited production and diluting the production numbers.

Now, it is going to be glitzed, forcing people to be confused as to what is the real Z8. The less informed witll wonder: "Oh, don't buy the old Z8. It had an aluminum frame and no retractable hard top. Yuk."

There is simply no reason to do this to us owners of the real thing. BMW could have very easily called the new car a Z7 or Z9 or Z1254.

I won't stop driving mine but I will always look at BMW with a jaundiced eye and discourage everyone I know from buying a BMW of any kind.

Bob Adler

Sport Button On

Yes, but

Apropos Mollyshark's letter, certainly no one is expecting 100% perfection 100% of the time. Really that isn't the issue, what is the issue is the management style of BMW regarding this problem and I would venture other problems like this. We have read here about how Ford dealt with the GT 40 problems in a more consumer friendly way.

Just as something to ponder, read in the Forbes July 3, 2006 issue (yes the one with Angelina on the cover) the article on Toyota on page 58. In Toyota's case the positive perception they create outways the the truth about the product. A total 180 of how BMW has dealt, in my opinion, with us its buyers.

Just an observation that maybe that's why they're now the largest car producer.
    Anyway just adding some food for thought.

Happy 4th!
    Robbie