Thread: Any regrets?

Any regrets?

Last week I met the well reknowned LA based race car driver Cort Wagner at Willow Springs. I'd known that he used to have a Z8, so I asked him about his experience with the car. He told me he had put ACS suspension, ACS 19" rims, Hamann exhaust and Brembo brakes on his car.
    He said it was one of his all time favorites, he loved how stable and stiff the chassis felt, and told me how much he enjoyed driving the car. Then he looked a little thoughtful, and said "You know, it is the only car I've sold that I know I'm going to regret selling in a few years time."
    It's certainly nice to hear that from one of the best drivers in the land!
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Went through the same thing when the frame issue surfaced

My wife and I talked about selling the car in the darkest hours of the frame issue (not sure we're in the light yet...). To start, we could not come up with a substitue that has such a perfect balance of beauty, performance, quality, comfort, reliability, etc. Everytime I thought about another car, I always would say "yes, it's nice, but...". So, for us, there was no where to go but down. We also could not stomach the thought of the future reflection on having owned the Z8. We bought the car "for life", and in the end, we decided to stick with that thought, regardless of any flaws.
    thegunguy

Z8 Novice

Unhappy Best of everything

I recently joined the Z8 ownership. Alpina, and it is everthing you could want. I picked it up with 8500 miles on it. After learning of the shock tower crowns and related structual damage possibilities, and checking my own car only to find the slightest bowing on the right side front tower, I was slightly upset.
    A $5000.00 performance package, huh? I would enjoy spending that on upgrading the car with delights. Not fixing a BMW problem that is a design flaw of technical knowledge and materials used in manufacture. Boy, for that much money you would think they would want to please the buyers and owners of one of their premium cars. Money talks though. This must be the 10th BMW I have owned over the years. An 06 M5 a few months ago and Z8 in May. BMW has always been great to me. Don't blow it now!
    A performance package of 5K for this is an annoying check to write. Also, I am afraid to stress it anymore than has already said. I can't really drive the car the way I want to or how it could be driven. I must baby and pamper and God forbid I go over a speed bump to fast.

Z8 Madness
    macfly & thegunguy,

This isn't helping, I'm trying to sell a car here
    62050 - Z8

Z8 Novice

This probably won't help either

I love cars and the Z8 was the first that I said "I must have one". Recently, I was also thinking "maybe I should sell it and move on". I spent the last two weeks in the UK and over the weekend I got to visit the Bealieu (pronounced Bewley) auto museum in the New Forest. A lot of nice cars. In addition, I had business reasons to visit the Peterson in LA just prior. The Z8, It's a classic. I can honestly say I have no regrets in keeping her. The passion of this and "the other" board is remarkable. I looked around at other brand boards...and sure they may not have this particular issue but I am well aware of the issues they face (electrical, service, reliability etc). I must say that I have seen more passion for the Z8 than any where else. It's a keeper..

Thanks Andrew...

killersharkbear, that is where I grew up!

Beaulieu was my childhood home! I saw the museum grow from a couple of wooden buildings into the huge complex it is now. My first job was working in the darkroom there during the school holidays, printing images from the vast archives. My Dad was on the board of directors, so there was a little nepotism at work! He still lives there, surrounded by the machine he loves, so it is fun seeing you mention it here out of the blue. It all seems such a long way from LA!

Funny thing is that from the very first moment I heard about the Z8, through my Dad, I knew it was the car for me. He is a BMW nut, cars and bikes, he's had them all, but not a Z8! Our family holidays were always tours of France on our BMW bikes, and his daily driver was always a BMW of some kind, usually the 7 series. Funny thing is I was always rebelling against his love of cars becuase I loved the two wheelers so much, but I guess that no matter how hard you try to be different from them you still end up growing up to a chip off the old block!
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Z8 Novice

What a wonderful place to grow up near

I have been going to the UK (especially Poole and Bournemouth) for 20+ years and was not aware of it. I plan to take my wife back there when I return for the Farnborough Air Show in July.

DSC Off
    I have followed all of the discussion about this car and its frame issue. As a still new owner, I have driven the car all over Los Angeles and to Las Vegas at fairly high speeds with some serious bumps on the freeway. Yet, I have not seen any change in the strut towers. I may not be good enough to see it but the car seems to be doing well. With such a limited production, there are going to be problems.

I have already made several trips to the dealer for silly small things that keep happening. But that's the price for owning a car like this. Even though I agree with everyone that BMW has to step up and take care of this issue at their cost, I have no intentions of not driving the car or selling it.

This whole forum and all its categories is what also makes this car great. Andrew, never stop.

Regards, Bob A.