Thread: Denied Access to Track

Denied Access to Track

After reading all of the wonderful experiences that have been shared regarding tracking the Z8, I signed up for a class at Lime Rock sponsored by a BMWCCA chapter. I received a response stating that convertibles are not accepted without rollbars , even with the factory hardtop in place. Has anyone else run into this?

Everyone!

Only one BMWCCA group alowed me to go out, with the hardtop on only. SoCal region. Try independent track clubs.

Z8 Novice
    The BMW chapters are funny about this...

Sport Button On - DSC Off Dogsbreath's Avatar

No convertibles

Hey

I had the same problem. You can circumvent it by drilling a bunch of holes and welding a few more pieces of roll bar in your car. The BMWCCA rules are strict. I tried to get my car in to the recent Las Vegas driving school (I am the VP of the local club). Just isn't going to happen. Funny enough, someone did mention Norcal's car getting in there but it didnt sound like anyone else would get the chance.

Dave P

Laguna Seca...

In the rain, no less! December '02, see the gallery. Coming out of 11, the car didn't hook up untill the bridge @ about 80-90 MPH

Sorry to chirp in so late on this....

but as you can see by scanning thru the site I have done many track days in my Z8's, but always with private groups. The BMW CCA and many other owners clubs often have a "no convertible" policy due to their track-day insurance liability, and other safety concerns.

You should call your local BMW CCA and ask who is the instructor group that they use for their events. Here in SoCal it is the wonderful Driving Concepts team who will allow Z8's out on their own HPDE days, even though the CCA won't allow us out. That is who Ian & I ran with at Laguna, and when we made our Z8 movie at Buttonwillow it was with a private group I go out with almost twice a month, though these days it's always in my Lotus. With my 'beater' Z8 long gone I have no intention of tracking my minty fresh keeper, but I will say the Z8 is a tremendous car to drive at the track, but it needs sway bars and better tires.

I'd also suggest calling your local tracks and asking if they have any HPDE organizers or private groups you could contact, as they will usually be pretty helpful.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.