Thread: Fun in the Alps!!

Fun in the Alps!!

The weather here in Lake Como is perfect, sunny and warm, more than I'd ever dared hope for, as almost every set of pictures I've seen of the event in the past has been in the rain! The drive across the Alps was incredible, and the Villa D'Este event was simply glorious. There are tons of pix of the weekend are up in the gallery, as well as in this thread.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

DSC Off

wow, looks beautiful

can't wait to hear about the "frame fix"---crossing my fingers!

Just as I had imagined ... just beautiful!

I see a glimpse of Rifle tagging along in a shot of the blue M roadster (you can see him in the driver side mirror!) How are the new M roadsters -- helping you fall in love with your Z8 again?
    Best Regards,

Jeff
    61995 Silver /// Rot - Original Owner
    Z8 Club of Germany e.V. #102

Yes indeed....

Falling in love would be impossible not to do in such a splendid setting!

There is so much to tell from the trip, but first of all we have all agreed that from now on all the news concerning the 'suspension performance upgrade kit' will come directly from the Club themselves, so keep an eye open for that in the next days.

Overall I was really impressed with BMW AG, and I now know and understand the importance of the Z8 to them. Our enthusiasm for the car is equalled by theirs, and in the big picture I realize that their commitment to the Z8 makes this is in every way the car that I wanted it to be. BMW AG will be standing behind the Z8 in every way for a long time, that was the message that we all got, loud and clear.

I was so impressed by every aspect of the weekend, the driving, the event, and J?rgen and Olaf's amazing organization - the bar has been set very high indeed!

The Z4M is a ton of fun and a real blast! We did over 750 kilometers of twisty Alpine roads at a really good clip, and it is a very capable car indeed. The motor feels much wilder and crazier than it does in the e46, and the exhaust note is much more satisfying, with none of the e46's tinny raspiness. Overall it just feels much more exciting and edgier than I remember the e46 as being. The engine is a delight, and it is really, really strong. The Z8's were holding a very good pace, and we were always right there with them. The only thing really wrong with it is that when you step outside and look back at it you just wish they'd got the styling sorted. If it looked like this gorgeous little Alfa at the Villa D'Este, it would be a real winner. The Z4-M Roadster is such a wonderfully entertaining car that it really deserves to look as great as it drives.

Andrew Macpherson

Sport Button On - DSC Off Z8-NL's Avatar

COMO & Z8 Club event

I really envy you guys who where able to have been there!.
    Lovely pictures and comments.

Also pleases me to hear BMW AG is still committed to the Z8. Have they given you any idea as to when and how the frame issue is going to be solved so we can drive freely again without having to be worried?

Cheers
    Klaus Z8-NL

I am still working on my photos, will take some time. However, a couple of quick snapshots...

Bugattis have certainly seen this lake before, long ago...

What can be compared with these lines? Incredible...

3.0 CSL in perfect condition, ready to kill...

Aston Martin Rapide, two bottles of champaign and a set of chess included...

La Villa d'Este, formerly used by the Italian kings.

Good friends forever...

The Maserati Birdcage

A little Amphicar on the lake...

A legend, and a legend for the future, best framed by a historic site.

Dixieland music, the sound of the Z8s added the Rock 'n Roll...

Scaglietti, anyone? I'll take it...

Let's go for a picknick in the sun...

Alpina's new B6: I drove it, what an engine , endless torque

This is the picture of proof: In that very moment this gentleman promised not to sell his Z8, not to change his mind, and to buy another Z8, because he has already the coilover setup for it...

Best regards, Dieter

Nice pictures and comments, Dieter!

Some Z8 pictures...

Take a Z8, simply put it wherever you want in that area, and you get a nice scene...

Burkhard Bovensiepen, the founder of Alpina, with Roadster #555, the very last one...

The second day, the cars were shown at the Villa Erba, very close to the Villa d'Este

Only about 25 out of 55 cars where exhibited...

Pretty unique....

Chrome grille and M6 wheels on Kai's car

A 6 hp engine drives this incredible sample of enthusiasm...

an enthusiasm shared by this soon-to-be Z8 driver...

Light and shadow enough for photos...

Il Concorso d'Eleganza, here it comes...

Best regards, Dieter

Thumbs up Great photos and comments Dieter!!

It was such an incredible event, I'm still sitting on cloud nine from it all. The drive back also ranks as one of my top ten drives ever, the back roads from St Moritz to Munich were just amazing.

I'm also really excited about the new joint website plans. Let me know what I can do to help you port the two sites together. Is there a translation program made that would allow us all to share a single forum, and read it in our native tongue?
    Andrew Macpherson

Hi Andrew,

good to hear that you found your way back...

We'll work on the plans over the next couple of weeks.

What a pity that I didn't shoot a picture of you when you left my car. (same for somebody else, who like to "rifle" through Italy saying "What a smooth ride..." at speeds between 100 and 130 mph...

It was more than a pleasure to meet you guys there in Italy, hopefully this will strengthen the bonds between the two continents. I enjoyed the time with you very much, we had excellent discussions (you meaning also Rifle of course), and we detected something that is the foundation for everything the Club will be doing: it's the same enthusiasm, be it in the US, in Europe, and also and especially inside BMW.

To all: the next meeting will be at the Nurburgring by the end of September, enough time to get a ticket...
    Best regards, Dieter

Z8Mania
    Just fantastic. The Z8 looks so at home with all the classic cars- as it should.

What an incredible weekend!

I have a mountain of pictures to sort, but there's simply no easy way to capture the perfection of the weekend.

Thanks to the Z8 Club. Everything was simply perfect. I particularly want to thank Olaf, J?rgen, and their beautiful wives Barbara and Sylvia. Your hospitality and consideration for a couple of wayward Texans was very much appreciated. Olaf ? big thanks to the M Division for the loan of the M Roadster. Let me know if it needs a new set of tires!

Dieter, I enjoyed our many musings on all things Z8, but especially I enjoyed running a few Italians off of the Autostrada in your dual personality car. I'm still not convinced you don't have a V12 stuffed in there - SMOOTH! It was nice meeting your wife, Erika as well.

Andrew, it was great watching you fall in love again. I can't wait to hear about your 4th Z8 (or perhaps your 3rd car for the 2nd time)! That's right, Dieter and I had Andrew "agree" to get another Z8! Although, it did take bottle of champaign and a shot of grappa. Please let Pegah know that we enjoyed meeting her as well, but don?t let Laura get a hold of one of her catalogs. I need the money to invest in a ?V12? like Dieter?s.
    thegunguy

Here's an interesting co-incidence

What are the odds of a Z8 and an Amphicar being driven in the same location not once, but twice in the same weekend, in different parts of the world?

We saw one whilst out driving the Z8 on Sunday in the Seattle area.

With the way those cars rust out, having two still running is quite an achievment

Rifle, it was great meeting you and Laura too....

and was Dieter's car amazing!! I imagined that 530 ponies would make it into something rough and wild, sort of like a Saleen Mustang, but you're right, it has a turbine quality like a V12. That comes from having every part balanced, which was part of the work Nowack did when the motor was apart.

It certainy was riviting getting to run it on the autostrada, and feel it pull like a monster all the way to 7,500rpm in every gear. I glimpsed 240kph as we whistled past the early morning commutors outside Como! Also interesting was to note that the UUC 850 clutch felt really crisp and quiet in the car. I backed away from fitting it after reading some negative feedback about it on the M5 Board, but it seemed perfect in Dieter's car.

I'm about to jump on my plane home now, so I'll try to write some more about the car....time to start that thread Norcal suggested on Super Z8's maybe?
    Andrew Macpherson

Wow

What great photos and stories. Dieter, I too hope to get a ride, or dare I say, drive that mean machine I've heard so much about! Wish I could have been there. That trip sounds like the essence of my favorite part of the Z8 ownership experience. Perhaps the next club meeting, if I can swing it. And Andrew, something must have gone completely right if it only took one bottle of champagne to bring you back from the dark side!!! It must feel good to see all your hard work, and all our concerns, be validated by BMW (to what extent we will see, but you all sound so optimistic).

As for Dieters clutch, he can give you the details and pics, but, I know it was a big problem at first, and required custom machine shop work.

Hope to see you all soon in Santa Fe. (Dieter, I have an empty seat!)

Quote Originally Posted by Norcal
    Hope to see you all soon in Santa Fe. (Dieter, I have an empty seat!)
    Thanks Ian,
    I will be in the US the week before, however, I MUST travel back on Friday for a major family event. I was actually playing with the idea to bent ...er.. rent Andrew's Fiona, but it doesn't work out.

Come to the Ring Sep 30 thru Oct 3, and I'll let you drive there.
    Best regards, Dieter

Quote Originally Posted by macfly
    ....time to start that thread Norcal suggested on Super Z8's maybe?
    You convinced me to participate, I didn't want initially to avoid the impression that I wanted to compete with anybody.
    Best regards, Dieter

Z8Mania
    I always knew Andrew would make the right move. Now come home and share more pictures with us!

Cars were great - people were greater!

Quote Originally Posted by Norcal
    That trip sounds like the essence of my favorite part of the Z8 ownership experience.
    My thoughts exactly. It was great to see so many cars together in one place, but the real treat was meeting so many new friends. After the Vd'E, I am really excited about MITM.

Ian - please PM or email me to assist with planning MITM. Talking to Andrew, it looks like a few group meals still need to be planned. I have a few other ideas as well.
    thegunguy

Here are a few of mine...

1. My two favorites from the show.
    2. Most likely to be mistaken as a space ship - Maserati Birdcage
    3. View from the castle above the Villa d'Este
    4. Bangle drops by to add his touch to the Z8 Club scrap book. Olaf and J?rgen look on.
    5. Bangle's take on the Z8...
    6. Andrew gets some help from Olaf and the M Division. BMW has decided to increase the load rating of the Z4 after seeing this creative engineering effort.

thegunguy