Thread: Totally o/t, but had to share this one......

Totally o/t, but had to share this one......

Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Sport Button On - DSC Off mollyshark's Avatar
    This has nothing to do with your intended subject, Mac, but the thread title was appropriate.

Other than cars and these 4-legged types, my other passion in life is cooking on Big Green Eggs. Have 3 of them in the backyard. Several times a year, Eli (offspring) and I, and sometimes Alex (spouse), trot across the country to meet the fellow Eggheads. Last month, Eli and I went to Bethany, OK..outside OKC, for the official Oklahomafest. It?s really one of the best. The guy that puts it together is a DJ and event organizer so he really knows how to do it up right. Well this year he did an Iron Egg Chef cookoff. I was elected to represent Texas. We had 4 other states represented. There was a half-hour to make something out of 5 ingredients, using every ingredient. Scoring was on presentation, taste, and originality.

Unknown to me, Fox News was there. And guess who was the winner of the Oklahoma Iron Egg Chef!

http://www.streamload.com/lghttester...st_on_News.wmv

I love it!!

and I love having a wildly off topic thread too!

I'll see if I can do any updates from Fiji....but if not keep an eye on next week's People, and you'll see the job that got me a free trip to the South Pacific!

Back to the first post in the thread, by some funny coincidence that car is featured in this months CAR magazine. The piece is titled 'McFly' but I suspect that hey were on the Back to the Future trail, however, and not thinking of me!
    Andrew Macpherson

Iron Molly...

Nice hat! I want to see you trailer your BGE behind the Z8.
    thegunguy

Congrats! That looks like a fun way to cook. They say that Pizza and breads made in the egg are like a brick oven- have you tried that?

Bread yes, pizza no. Although I've eaten a zillion pizzas cooked on the Eggs, just not by me. It is exactly like a brick oven bread or pizza. You can even take an off-the-shelf frozen pizza and cook it in the Egg and it comes out spectacular. It also does lovely dog biscuits..not a small item around my house. The Z8 of cookers, to be sure. Did a hunk of ribs a couple days ago. About 2 little ones left to finish. Next time the TX group gets together somewhere, I'll do a brisket for us. Man I love eating Egg food. I also like fitting in the same size jeans. What a fight, I tell ya.

I could probably trailer the mini-egg, but it was easier just to stick it in the trunk of the Z4 on the way home from OKC!.

OK, you cook, I'll fly!!

Since my future in laws are in Dallas I need to do a TX run soon anyway. I'd be happy to base it around a rib roast!! I forgot to get bring the camera>laptop cord, or I'd show you some pix from paradise as promised - it'll have to wait till I get home!
    Andrew Macpherson

PLEASE let me know when. I'll organize the locals to come over for chat and chow for sure!

another Texan on the way

I'm moving to Georgetown after the summer with 399 horsepower (Z8 + 3 horses)- count me in!!

Hey, you've got to EARN the right to be called a Texan!

Quote Originally Posted by KenZ8
    I'm moving to Georgetown after the summer
    Ken - Let's see how you survive the month of August first! Initiation is hot as hell. You can ask Molly. She's from Chi-town.

Molly - please tell me that you will get the ribs from the meat market. I'm not sure Potbelly Pig is what I had in mind. Poor Mia!

Andrew - turn off the freakin' laptop. YOU'RE IN FIJI!
    thegunguy

Green Eggs aka Kamado?

Molly
    I have cooked on a size 3 Imperial Kamado for more that 30 years and I have 2 of these wonderful outdoors cooking ovens. I am fortunate enough to live in the Los Angeles area, where Kamados are again being imported. Mine are very old Japanese models and when I needed new fireboxes Mako-san at Imperial Kamado in Carson Ca. was able to provide them to me in the slightly smaller size needed for the early models. These ovens are the best thing to ever happen to barbeque or smoking or baking. Duck is to die for and stakes are the best. Salmon, well almost anything is great. As someone said, the Z8 of cooking. You cannot believe how surprised I was to see these on the Z8 forum.
    If anyone is interested, please check out this web site.
    Some time I will tell why I have 2 ? one green and one red.
    Good eating all!
    Hap

Talking Does everyone here have an Egg?

We have a medium. Our pulled pork is to die for - 14-18 hours of smoking and a killer sauce.

Anyone done a Z8 trailer?

Quote Originally Posted by thegunguy
    Nice hat! I want to see you trailer your BGE behind the Z8.
    I've seen a Delorean trailer in the Seattle area at the annual British car show that I liked the idea of. This trailer looked like the back half of a Delorean, with a tow hitch attached.

Anyone done this with a written off Z8 yet? Is it even possible to add a tow hitch to an aluminum framed car?

I'm fascinated and my mouth is watering. These things can stay lit for 12 to 14 hours? I think our next thread should be favorite recipes.

It will go close to 24 if lit right. I'll do briskets that are about 12 lb and will take anywhere from 1 to 1-1/2 hrs/lb. I'll get it going in the evening and let it cook all night. By about 5 a.m. you are drawn out of bed by this...smell...hungrier than you've ever been in your life.

Yeah, they are pretty amazing!

The equivalent of our board is at http://www.biggreenegg.com/wwwboard/wwwboard.shtml

Anything and everything you wanted to know about cooking on these you can find there. Shoot, now I'm hungry.

Quote Originally Posted by thegunguy
    Ken - Let's see how you survive the month of August first! Initiation is hot as hell.
    Do I get points for having iceballs from Heaven thrown at me last month? I've never experienced hail larger than gravel before, and these chunks were larger than golfballs. They say everything's bigger in Texas. Thank goodness I was in a rental car with no deductable- it was very dimpled! Even with heat and iceballs, the lure of that brisket is winning me over.