Thread: Indicator / Turn Signal blinking rapidly

Sport Button On

Indicator / Turn Signal blinking rapidly

Hi Guys,

I finally collected my Z8 yesterday, I will cover this on a separate post.

The car is a US version and I imported it into Europe and had a brand new pair of EU spec tail lights fitted.

When I collected it the garage owner (not BMW dealer) explained that the right turn signals were all blinking rapidly but the technician believes it is related to the indicator stalk and wasn't going to start messing with it. This isn't as bad as it sounds because the scope of work was just to do the conversion for a fixed price. However, he only elected to tell me this when I turned up to collect the car and I had to take it because I had already organised a 400 mile drive.

I have read the other posts on the forum and this is the info I can provide.
    1. The left side works fine, only the right side blinks rapidly (so I assume it is not the relay?)
    2. Both neon indicator tubes are fully lit (so I pray it is not the new tail light?}
    3. All turn signal lights function

Any recommendations on where to start?

Best Regards

Peter

I've read on this forum that the rapid flashing turn signal indicator is a precursor to taillight failure. Seven years ago I replaced the battery in my car and for a brief time I had the rapid turn signal indicator flashing albeit with both sides and then it just went away. You mentioned the rear lights, and is the right front turn signal indicator working too? My recommendation is to enjoy the car on your road trip and monitor for now.
    My Best,

Ed

2002 Z8 Jet Black//Sport Red
    2012 SLS AMG Obsidian Black/Classic Red

Sport Button On
    Hi Ed,
    Thanks for replying. The light unit is brand new so I am hoping failure is not an option !

Because the car spent so long in transit the battery will certainly have benn fully discharged and rapidly recharged a number of times so you may have a point.

i can't leave this too long though because if it is the light unit I need to get it replaced while still under warranty.

Regards

Peter

Hi Peter, is the flashing permanent? It sometimes happens to my car when it has been standing in the sun for a long time.
    Ton
    1 of the 71 original Dutch sold cars (jetblack/red)

Sport Button On
    Hi Ton,

The rapid flashing is only when I operate the right turn signal but yes 100% of the time when I do this.....and it is definitely not related to the sun. There has been no sun in the UK since I collected the car, only rain

Regards

Peter

Than I hope it is not the unit. BTW did you check the date stamp on the light unit?
    Ton

I had exactly the same thing happen when the dealer replaced my rear lights around 6 months ago. The replacements were from the new batch.

In the end they once again replaced the right light (under warranty) and it has been fine since.

Sport Button On
    Hi Kamal,
    Thanks for your response....but it was the one I feared !
    Regards
    Peter

Quote Originally Posted by lamakdaddy View Post
    I had exactly the same thing happen when the dealer replaced my rear lights around 6 months ago. The replacements were from the new batch.

In the end they once again replaced the right light (under warranty) and it has been fine since.
    There have a couple of production runs that I know of. Do you have a production date for your failing unit?
    2000 Red over black
    heavily modified for performance. Although, not to the level of GM's car

Sport Button On
    I don't know the date. I did look for it but then realised you would have to take things apart to see it so I left it alone.

is their known problems with a batch? I know we had this discussion on the other thread with Karsten but that was a different problem which he described.

Quote Originally Posted by 2112 View Post
    There have a couple of production runs that I know of. Do you have a production date for your failing unit?
    The lights were fitted in July 2016 and under goodwill. The red lamp on one of the original units was intermittently failing but the indicator was fine.

I had to wait for the lights for six weeks. The right indicator started to flash erratically on the way home from the dealer. It was over 45 deg C and I thought it may have something to do with the car being left out in the sun.

The problem persisted and so I gave the car back to the dealer. They diagnosed a faulty lamp unit and replaced it with another new unit which has been fine since.

Thank you

I guess need to bench test mine before going thru all the labor to R&R.
    2000 Red over black

Definitely a good idea to bench test the new tail lights before proceeding with the installation. My dealer maintains Z8/Alpina's for 60 customers and has done many replacements under the goodwill campaign. He confirmed that several new units were defective right out of the box.

I guess we got the first set for free but BMW will get its investment back with future replacements
    ------------------------
    Regards,
    Bruno

2003 Stratus/Crema

Quote Originally Posted by bclaude View Post
    I guess we got the first set for free but BMW will get its investment back with future replacements
    Well, my ECU lights were $4000 so I do expect them to work.

Are they prone to immediate failure, meaning something bench testing will catch?
    2000 Red over black

There is another thread discussing potential issues with the new tail lights. My dealer confirmed some of them come out of the box with issues. I have to say I haven't experienced it first hand as mine have been perfect. Given the reported issues, the price BMW makes us pay for these units and the fact our cars are for the most part garage queens, it is a good idea to find ways to work and regularly check the tail lights units before the warranty on them expires. That is the only conclusion we can draw at this stage.

See the posts here
    http://www.bmwz8.us/forum/showthread...3385#post53385
    ------------------------
    Regards,
    Bruno

2003 Stratus/Crema

Sport Button On
    Hi all,

I am having my US spec rear bumper replaced with the ECE version to delete those pesky side markers....

Whilst at the BMW dealership they will troubleshoot my rapidly blinking turn signal. I will give feedback when I have it.

In the mean time the dealership has been able to send me some photos of my new tail lights which were ordered in March 2017 at full cost from BMW. I would welcome feedback from the forum on the build dates of the "new" light units which appear to be Oct 15 and Mar 16.

Have they palmed me off with some older version or is this the latest and greatest ??

Regards

Peter

This was the news in May 2016

"delivery has been delayed for a couple of months, because at first the production quality turned out to be insufficient, and then the units had to pass a complete QA program including long term tests. The last test has been concluded successfully on April 25, 2016. Intentionally we have waited for the final release of the tail lights to avoid another situation where we would have to put you off again."

The first light has the "normal" production code the second one has a "goodwill " production code. Production date ( a few weeks before final testing) looks to me that both lights were very well tested
    Ton

I think you are fine, my new EU lights were produced in June and August 2016 and they have worked just fine so far. The real pain is to have the ECU reprogrammed so that they behave as they should on a US car. I am very interested to know how you get on with that part of the conversion.
    ------------------------
    Regards,
    Bruno

2003 Stratus/Crema

Sport Button On
    Hi Peter,

I can not help you right away, because my new lights are already in place. I will have a look on the invoice which number is listed there. From here it looks a bit odd.
    Best regards from Dortmund

Karsten
    Alpina Z8 #550/555
    AH61420

Sport Button On
    Bruno / Ton,
    Thanks for the responses which make me feel a bit more positive.
    The reprogramming of my module went fine I believe. I was told that the rapidly blinking turn signal is not related to the module or it's re-programming.....but I am still waiting confirmation from the dealer as to what the problem actually is.
    I am not sure how BMW will respond if they find it is the light unit. After all I had a third party fit the new ECE lights and reprogram the module. I am hoping it is a relay or the turn signal stalk on the steering column. These have both been listed as a possibility. I will update when I get the feedback. Should be this week.
    Regards
    Peter

Quote Originally Posted by PeterPortugal View Post
    Bruno / Ton,
    Thanks for the responses which make me feel a bit more positive.
    The reprogramming of my module went fine I believe. I was told that the rapidly blinking turn signal is not related to the module or it's re-programming.....but I am still waiting confirmation from the dealer as to what the problem actually is.
    I am not sure how BMW will respond if they find it is the light unit. After all I had a third party fit the new ECE lights and reprogram the module. I am hoping it is a relay or the turn signal stalk on the steering column. These have both been listed as a possibility. I will update when I get the feedback. Should be this week.
    Regards
    Peter
    Thanks Pete, my ECE taillights just recently installed and is now waiting to get reprogram at BMW and hopefully no big drama. Sorry did not check batch number on lights before installation. Cheers Peter Koh

Sport Button On
    Peter,
    Good luck with the reprogramming. It seems that for most of us this aspect went OK.
    Regards
    Peter

Hi Peter / Karsten / Bruno,

Just done the reprogramming, took less than minute. When log on, just select US to ECE and the all done instantly!! Hope all yours are that easy! Cheers PK

Sport Button On
    Peter,
    Some companies in the UK are asking 500 GBP for that. Knowledge is power !!
    Glad it worked out well for you.
    Regards
    Peter

Sport Button On
    Great that it works now.
    In Germany they are not doing the reprogramming from US to ECE because they are afraid of the mixer. If you will find one doing this procedure they will charge a lot more than 500 GBP.
    They told me, that they do not know what will happen, if the main modul is now ECE while the rest is still US. Never mind, yours is working, congratulations
    Best regards from Dortmund

Karsten
    Alpina Z8 #550/555
    AH61420

Sport Button On
    Gents,

Great news. The dealer believes the problem was just a poor connection / loose wire. After re-assembly of the lights in the new bumper they are working. He even sent a video..

https://video.citnow.com/vtJL3F19gQt

Regards

Peter