Thread: Shop manual of some sort

Sport Button On - DSC Off

Shop manual of some sort

Hi,

I am thinking of doing some of the maintenance of my Z8 myself - always loved to fiddle, but never had the space and do now. Are there any reliable manuals out there about the engine/drivetrain, perhaps from the M5 side of things?

Thanks!

If you go to this page you'll find everything that we have to help you, but the only really good manual I have seen is BMW's own online (TIS?) one that the dealers use.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Thanks Andrew... I have definitely utilized the super informative articles on that page and really appreciate them! Was just wondering if there was more of a typical manual, but I guessed there wouldn't be.

Additional space for another fun car too?
    My Best,

Ed

2002 Z8 Jet Black//Sport Red
    2012 SLS AMG Obsidian Black/Classic Red

Ed,

The new place has a regular 2 car garage plus a 1200 sq ft detached garage with 10,000 lb lift... so yes, it will cost me a few dollars in extra wheels to fill it up! Was thinking a mid-60s corvette, a DB6 if I can ever find a deal on one and one of those SLS AMGs :-)

Patrick,

A mid-60s C2 Corvette is on my short list of "next" cars. A year in and I'm still smiling after driving the SLS, and it looks great next to my "keeper" Z8.

Congratulations on your new place!

-Ed
    My Best,

Ed

DSC Off
    BMW's TIS is avaliable through E Bay. Just search. I believe it covers all BMW's from the eighties to 2008. Might be some compatibility problems with newer computers. Works on XP. For me it has been thorough and very helpful.

Thanks for the advice on TIS - will check it out... and ya the SLS is an amazing car! You have the coupe, right? For the Corvette, I think I will go convertible... prices are not too bad still, except for the '63 split window coupe which is ridiculous.

Patrick, I have the SLS coupe and at this time it's all set to be shown at this year's Quail event in the super car category. Pictures to follow... I feel fortunate to own BMW's tribute to the 507 and MB's tribute to the 300SL gullwing.

I like the 67 C2 Corvette convertible myself and based on prices apparently other folks do too.
    My Best,

Ed

Ed,

Why the '67 in particular?

I like the convertible but the coupe is actually far prettier in my eyes - a bit like your SLS.

Wish I was down there again this year - definitely post lots of pics!

Patrick

The '67 was the last of the C2's, and is generally considered to be the most desirable year. The styling was a little cleaner than some of the earlier years, although to the average person the differences were insignificant. A few years ago I had a '67 roadster with the L79 327/350 hp motor, it was a lot of fun. You really can't go wrong with one if you buy a good example.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by screenap View Post
    Ed,

Why the '67 in particular?

I like the convertible but the coupe is actually far prettier in my eyes - a bit like your SLS.

Wish I was down there again this year - definitely post lots of pics!

Patrick
    Bill nailed it on the desirability of the 67 C2 Corvette. Personally, I also prefer the placement of the backup light and parking brake handle relative to earlier years. There's more redundancy/safety with the braking system using two reservoirs instead of one. Nothing wrong with a coupe or a convertible, but living in Northern California all my life, I like that top down feeling even in the winter time with the heater blasting warm air in the cabin.

Keep us posted as you add cars to your garage space...
    My Best,

Ed

The one Corvette I lusted after (and still do) is the '61. I liked the ducktail with the clean sides and front of the '59; many prefer the gaudy '62 with its chrome rocker panels, but ew ick.

As for "Keep us posted as you add cars to your garage space," Ed, that message cannot have been for me! I have finally figured out that I have bought my last car—and her name is Nancy, Nancy Drew!

Quote Originally Posted by Satch View Post
    The one Corvette I lusted after (and still do) is the '61. I liked the ducktail with the clean sides and front of the '59; many prefer the gaudy '62 with its chrome rocker panels, but ew ick.

As for "Keep us posted as you add cars to your garage space," Ed, that message cannot have been for me! I have finally figured out that I have bought my last car—and her name is Nancy, Nancy Drew!
    Understood Satch, you can never say never, but I consider my Z8 to be part of the "permanent collection" of one. If you're gonna hold onto your last car purchase the Z8 isn't a bad place to stop!
    My Best,

Ed