Thread: Ball joints at 35K? Vanos getting pricier other service offerings...

Sport Button On - DSC Off

Ball joints at 35K? Vanos getting pricier other service offerings...

Took my Z8 in to diagnose engine light.

Both airflow meters (incorrect values) $1126.00
    VANOS adjustment unit bank 2 $2280.00
    Left front turn signal $2084.00
    Speedometer backlight $1913.00
    Radio $1898 (was tempted but reading about repeated failures chills me)
    Ball joint left rear $400

I punted on the turn signal and the radio but thought the ball joint (I don't drive the car hard) was surprising. VANOS prices seemed a bit gougy too.

Had me thinking I should solicit feedback from the group...

.....second opinion by another workshop?
    Ton
    1 of the 71 original Dutch sold cars (jetblack/red)

Sadly those prices don't surprise me.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Quote Originally Posted by macfly View Post
    Sadly those prices don't surprise me.
    The turn signal stung a bit as they quoted me $1280 in October. I mentioned they should check the ballast and was told it's 50/50 (per other threads I've read the ballast is s couple hundred. So I'm not feeling the love atErhard BMW)

I have a loose bulb for my fuel gauge - I know its loose and not blown, because it sometimes works.

The cost of taking the dash apart to fix it makes it worth my while just living with the problem. It helps that I don't often drive at night.

Quote Originally Posted by tomfakes View Post
    I have a loose bulb for my fuel gauge - I know its loose and not blown, because it sometimes works.

The cost of taking the dash apart to fix it makes it worth my while just living with the problem. It helps that I don't often drive at night.
    I'm there too. And using the tach I pretty much know my speed. The kicker is the Speedo light didn't flicker until I asked them to check on my fan. The blower reduces velocity as I increase speed so that when on the highway, I'm virtually without heat. I use the dash vents too as the floor doesn't seem to get any heat. So they check the fan and report back that there is no issue. Buuuuut now the light flickers. I suggested they may have caused the wire to loosen while checking the fan, but that didn't deter them from trying to bill it out at $1900!

Quote Originally Posted by Z-acht View Post
    .....second opinion by another workshop?

+1

There are some decent independent shops out there. I have only owned 3 BMW products but dealing with the dealer service department has been the sour grape of all 3 experiences.
    2000 Red over black
    heavily modified for performance. Although, not to the level of GM's car

These prices are starting to sound like Ferrari ownership stories I have heard. The affordable to maintain exotic Z8 is no longer affordable.
    Skip Hammerman

2002 BMW Z8 - Meisterschaft GT, PP installed, CDV delete
    2013 BMW X3
    2015 Porsche 911 Targa 4S

Oh, come on. It's an S62 engine; I don't hear the owners of E39 M5s whining about VANOS repairs. Spendy, sure—but not impossible to do by yourself... or by an independent shop. Remember, my dealer wanted $2400 for a new driveshaft—but come on, it's a driveshaft! Easy enough to take out and have rebuilt and re-install: total cost, less than $500. Some parts (cough cough neon taillights cough) are exorbitant, yes—but then, we're driving Z8s, are we not? Got to pay something for that privilege!

At 29,000 miles, I just took her in for the annual oil change and some inspections per the very valuable maintenance checklist found on this fine website. Easy peasy, lemon squeeze, amiright? Alas, no.
    This year, the water pump and thermostat were found to be in need of replacement. And some hoses, and and and. $3600 with a detail, net of some dealer pity discounts.

Last year, it was the convertible top wiring, and the master electric something in the dash, and air conditioning.

A couple of years ago it was the old Oil Separator Valves.

My right rear tail light is hanging in by a thread, although I get intermittent quick flashes, a sure sign of impending doom.

"Every Halloween the trees are filled with underwear. Every spring, the toilets explode."

I really do love owning a Z-8. When I drive it. When I service it, not so much. But, for the lucky person who will buy my Z-8 some day, it's being refreshed with OEM equipment, piece by piece.
    Greg AH61930 - 2003 - Silver/Black

Good news and bad news. The turn signal was fixed by replacing the ballast and their quote had included time to remove the bumper so that knocked off 2.5 hours labor. Props to this site for enlightening me enough to push for the ballast when the mechanic and service rep both pooh poohed it. So I saved over a grand. Which leads to the bad news, they tell me they were unable to put the VANOS into service mode which they tell me means they have to remove the valve covers and this adds $1400 to the labor charges. Lastly they killed my battery which I knew was on borrowed time. As it turns out the original was replaced in 2004 (I purchased in April 2005) all along I thought I was a candidate for Ripley's Believe it or Not with a 17 yr old battery. I should get her back next week so this last odyssey has taken nearly a month to conclude. I'm ready for her!

Quote Originally Posted by jdillane View Post
    Good news and bad news. The turn signal was fixed by replacing the ballast and their quote had included time to remove the bumper so that knocked off 2.5 hours labor. Props to this site for enlightening me enough to push for the ballast when the mechanic and service rep both pooh poohed it. So I saved over a grand. Which leads to the bad news, they tell me they were unable to put the VANOS into service mode which they tell me means they have to remove the valve covers and this adds $1400 to the labor charges. Lastly they killed my battery which I knew was on borrowed time. As it turns out the original was replaced in 2004 (I purchased in April 2005) all along I thought I was a candidate for Ripley's Believe it or Not with a 17 yr old battery. I should get her back next week so this last odyssey has taken nearly a month to conclude. I'm ready for her!

not to be a pooper myself, but that VANOS line sounds like some BS to recoup the lost labor on the turn signal

The mechanical portion of the VANOS is actually pretty bulletproof, the weakness is in the Solenoid boards. Usually what happens is the soldering on the board breaks away, causing the system to not adapt as commanded. Your board would have to be pretty messed up (unlikely) to stop the VANOS from adjusting. It's an easy fix, honestly the 2 most difficult parts are removing the coolant and then freeing the solenoid boards.

for reference (includes additional work you are not looking nor need to perform):
    http://www.beisansystems.com/procedu..._procedure.htm

you/mechanic would need to follow the instructions for the coolant and the vanos boards, and nothing else

Quote Originally Posted by JohnAnthony View Post
    The mechanical portion of the VANOS is actually pretty bulletproof, the weakness is in the Solenoid boards. Usually what happens is the soldering on the board breaks away, causing the system to not adapt as commanded. Your board would have to be pretty messed up (unlikely) to stop the VANOS from adjusting. It's an easy fix, honestly the 2 most difficult parts are removing the coolant and then freeing the solenoid boards.

for reference (includes additional work you are not looking nor need to perform):
    http://www.beisansystems.com/procedu..._procedure.htm

you/mechanic would need to follow the instructions for the coolant and the vanos boards, and nothing else

Thanks for that!
    2000 Red over black
    heavily modified for performance. Although, not to the level of GM's car

Sport Button On - DSC Off Dogsbreath's Avatar

vanos? nope

Quote Originally Posted by 2112 View Post
    Thanks for that!
    I had a 'vanos' issue. The dealer told me the vanos needed replacement. I replaced the sensor for about 60 bucks. Totally fine since. This is one of the problems with computers - they may indicate that a component is bad - but they dont have the ability to think like a good mechanic. I have had little love at the dealer. Have always been happy using a private shop. It just takes a while to find one.

For anything suggesting VANOS issues, I'd start with the Cam Position Sensors (all 4 of them). They should be a regular maintenance item (relatively easy and cheap to change), but they tend to only be replaced when they fault. Much of the VANOS functionality originates with working CPS. Bad data, bad VANOS.

My original thread on CPS replacement:
    http://www.bmwz8.us/forum/problems-s...ault-2110.html
    thegunguy