Thread: Roundel February 2017

Roundel February 2017

Great story in this month's Roundel from Satch on his initial travels in his "Nancy Drew" Z8.

This story also reminded me to check on the FDA approval status of GSK's Shingles vaccine that is reported to be more effective than the one currently on the market from Merck. Still under review...
    My Best,

Ed

2002 Z8 Jet Black//Sport Red
    2012 SLS AMG Obsidian Black/Classic Red

I was afraid I was going to catch hell for running such a self-centered me me me piece, but so far the mail has been quite pleasant.

Of course, they haven't read the second story yet....

Is the second story the trip to Octoberfest last year? You were parked next to my silver Z8 on the lawn in front of the hotel. Unfortunately they did not have enough judges so I was display only( after cleaning the beast for a day!) still it was a fun time for me , wifey and Yoyo the Pekingnese

2002 Silver Black/Red

Dinan stage 4 software
    Dinan low restriction carbon fiber airboxes
    Dinan high flow air mass meters
    Hamann headers
    Supersprint exhaust
    performance package
    custom short shift linkage
    cdv modifacation
    Quaiffe differential/military grade gear polishing
    19 inch 3 piece HRE mags/Toyo tires
    Custom crossdrilled/slotted rotors
    ceramic brake pads
    stainless brake lines
    Dinan caster plates
    Dinan duel mass flywheel
    custom Sachs clutch /pressure plate
    Dinan pedal set

Actually, the February story is about getting the car to Oktoberfest (although it ends a few months before that, in South Carolina). The second story involves bringing Nancy Drew home to California in 2016. On a new Alpina suspension. And new Bridgestone run-flats.

That February Roundel story

Andrew has figured out how load a ZIP file of the PDF of the February Roundel opus:

http://www.bmwz8.us/forum/attachment...7&d=1487118113

mjunco1054
    Satch, one of my Z8s had a check engine soon light and it turned out that it was related to the fuel system. They changed the fuel filter and pressure regulator, but the problem persisted and now they are telling me at the BMW dealer that I need to replace the fuel pump, which I understand is a monumental job... Did you have to replace fuel pump in your car? If so, any advice? Thanks,
    Manuel

- - - Updated - - -

BTW, I really enjoyed the article on the Roundel!
    Manuel Junco
    2001 Z8 60373 (Silver/Black)
    2001 Z8 60430 (Silver/Red)
    1976 2002
    2014 535i daily driver
    2016 M4 GTS

Yes, I did have the fuel pump replaced (in South Carolina), along with the battery. I don't think it's a particularly complex job, just time-consuming; they dropped the tank out the bottom, I believe. The bill ran something like $2,400, which may be the best money I've spent on the car so far.

Read the story too and loved it, particularly the foibles. Much better than some of the schmaltzy stuff in Car & Driver...sometimes I think they just like to see if they can find obscure literary references...something Satch would never do.

Most people probably can't understand how you ran out of gas, but I swear you can see the gauge moving as you drive...it can drain fast!

Seriously, though, I appreciated the Shingles shot reminder too. The very descriptive and graphic depictions of living with it were much better than anything else I have read to push me in to get the shot.
    Charles Guerin
    AH61406 - Titanium Silver/ /Black

Team Z8
    Yup, I had the CES light come on a few months ago and (among other things) it was the fuel pump...seems to be a common issue now with time and miles on our cars. I think my bill was around $3000. with a ten day wait for the parts.

Crazy Chuck, he say: "Much better than some of the schmaltzy stuff in Car & Driver...sometimes I think they just like to see if they can find obscure literary references...something Satch would never do."

WHAH! You so fonny BMW boy! Wait till you read my April editorial page! I can out-obscure those rookies!

I read the article. Learned something about shingles. So glad I got the vaccine. Hope it works if/when.....

Regarding the automotive details in the article, I'd like to share a couple of data points regarding a couple of hypotheticals:
    1) You cannot "bump" move the car with the starter motor because the clutch has to be disengaged to crank it (pedal depressed).
    2) A "Triple A" card in the glovebox is no good to anyone but the AAA member - membership follows the member, not the car(s).
    Routineer

@Routineer, if you send this to me as a letter (with name and location), I'll run it in the letters section.

I think you can "bump" the car forward by holding down the clutch and then holding down the button, releasing the clutch after the starter motor is turning. I never said it was easy on the equipment.

Good point about the AAA card! I never thought of that! Of course, the number of things I neglect to think about these days is legion....