Thread: Intermittent Power Shut Down

Z8 Novice

Intermittent Power Shut Down

Driving home the other night, my 2001 Z8 completely shut down: both electrical and engine. Fortunately, was able to coast to a stop on the shoulder. Almost as soon as I came to a stop, the electrical went back on and it started right up. I got back on the road, and about 1000 yards down the highway, the same thing happened. This time, I turned the ignition to off and then restarted. The problem did not repeat itself after that but I haven't driven it much for fear that it will shut down at an inopportune time (e.g. freeway, narrow canyon road). Had the electrical checked, and no apparent problems. Was told the only way to diagnose is to have problem repeat itself.

Didn't see anything about this on the board, but any chance anyone have the same experience or thoughts on how to diagnose?

Many thanks,
    Dave

Wow, kinda weird... no clue. Only thing like that I've had is the "limp home" mode triggered by a lose gas cap.

Weird indeed! On the diagnostic question, did you take your car to a shop with an OBD reader to determine if any codes were tripped? Our cars are equipped with an OBD port under the dash near the steering wheel.

i hope that helps.
    My Best,

Ed

2002 Z8 Jet Black//Sport Red
    2012 SLS AMG Obsidian Black/Classic Red

The symptoms suggest a loose connection, most likely the ground cable. You might want to check, clean and tighten those connections if you haven't already done so. I am not sure where the ground cable is grounded to the car, probably somewhere in the trunk (I am away and can't check my own car), be sure to check both ground connections. Good luck.

Bill

Did your clock reset ?

Could be a short in the battery.

Foud this on the web, you might want to check this, because I think it explains exactly what you describe: The main battery feed power wire to the fuse box makes poor contact. Sometimes a change in temperature/humidity (like when parking the car overnight) or hitting a pothole/bump can cause the power to be interrupted. The only way to check is to remove the fuse box and the main battery feed and inspect the contacts where it plugs into the front fuse box.

This is how the above story ended:
    Update: the dealer replaced a cable, dont know any details, they did it under warranty. The told me they had seen other vehicles with the same issue.
    I've been running the car for two weeks now without any problems.

Good luck !

best,

Eric

Another thing besides the battery or cable I'm thinking of now.

I had an electrical shutdown with an M3 E30, but that wasn't a complete shutdown only certain parts went down. That turned out to be a problem in the fusebox, I had to replace that to solve the problem.

I actually had exactly this issue a few years back, and had to have the car flat bedding to the dealership. They replaced the MAF's and some sensors, and that solved it.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Z8 Novice
    Thank you, Andrew. I had to believe someone else's car had the same problem. Do you recall how dealership landed on the MAFs and sensors as the issue?

Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.