Thread: Update on Frame Issue from BMW Classic in Munich

Z8 Novice

Update on Frame Issue from BMW Classic in Munich

Dear fellow Z8 Enthusiasts,

I have recently looked at a Z8 Alpina with the issue of doming shocktower crowns. After reading a lot on this website and talking to Andrew MacPherson about the subject, I called BMW Classic in Munich.

The conversation with their Workshop Manager was quite enlightening and I would like to share their feedback with you since I have not read what they told me on this website.

The Workshop Manager said that they have an internal guideline on fixing the matter. If the doming is below 2 millimeter, they can easily and at a very low price "bend" the aluminum back into the original shape. It's a cold procedure without the application of heat and the shocktowers will not show any sign of the proecdure afterwards. The shocktowers can be considered to be in an as new condition after this procedure. No relevant structural weakness is left after this. Obviously the performance package should definitely be installed.

If the doming is above 2 millimeter, BMW Classic would not touch the shock tower crowns because the aluminum would be weakened further by bending it back into it's original position. In this case (if the owner want's it, the shock towers could be cut out and new shocktowers would have be welded into the car).

However, between the lines I also heard that the matter should not be taken to seriously. Even shocktowers that are bent more than 2 millimeters are not a problem if the performance package is installed. (At least as long as the frame is not bent and the hood still closes).

I have not bought the above mentioned Alpina for other reasons - so I will continue to look at Z8s. My take away regarding the frame matter: I would prefer to buy a car with completely flat shocktower crowns. If they are bend, I would be fine if it is below 2millimeter. If the doming is beyond 2 millimeters, I would probably not buy the car - just because it might be harder to sell the car to a well informed buyer.

All the best,

Daniel

-------------------
    If you have a low mileage well taken care of Z8 for sale - please contact me - I am still looking...

Great information, thank you Daniel.

Is the Performance Package still available? When I decided to put one on my car several years ago, it seems to me the availability of the components was limited and dwindling.

Bill

Thank you for sharing your information from BMW Classic, although 2 mm (5/64 inch) isn't much room for potential deflection. I remember you are seeking a black car, but if you would also consider a silver car the one listed by pandaman sounds ideal in price and in its single mature owner history.
    My Best,

Ed

2002 Z8 Jet Black//Sport Red
    2012 SLS AMG Obsidian Black/Classic Red

Z8 Novice
    Quote Originally Posted by boomster View Post
    Great information, thank you Daniel.

Is the Performance Package still available? When I decided to put one on my car several years ago, it seems to me the availability of the components was limited and dwindling.

Bill
    HelloBill,

to the best of my knowledge, the Performance Package is still available. BMW Classic said that they have it...

Regarding the silver one: I saw the offering and I agree that it looks really fair priced - I am actually quite excited about every color except silver... So maybe I just wait a little longer until the right Z8 passes my way. It's funny but the longer I look at them - the better I like red.

All the best,

Daniel

Sport Button On
    No problem getting the parts for the Performance Package. Had it installed 1 month ago in Dallas, Texas.

Richard
    Last edited by ra0507; November 27th 2016 at 22:13. Reason: update

Beyond the Valley of Z8 Madness Z-acht's Avatar
    Thank you for sharing this Daniel!
    Ton
    1 of the 71 original Dutch sold cars (jetblack/red)

On a related matter, I noticed the tower plate design seems to have changed from the initial release. I have the flat steel plates but I noticed the salvage-title Alpina auction showed pictures of that car's PP and the tower plates appeared ribbed or cast.

Can anyone point me in a direction to learn if this is a new and better version and worth acquiring?

2000 Red over black
    heavily modified for performance. Although, not to the level of GM's car

Team Z8
    Regarding BMW Classic and the shock towers...I stand by my comment from an earlier forum post.
    "I wonder, with the addition of the "Performance Kit" if this type of damage is really relevant (today or five years from now) for anything other then very low mileage collector cars."

Some folks like their toys all bright and shiny just they way they were when they unwrapped them, and some folks don't mind if they all banged up and well used. Whatever floats your boat.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Team Z8
    Quote Originally Posted by 2112 View Post
    On a related matter, I noticed the tower plate design seems to have changed from the initial release. I have the flat steel plates but I noticed the salvage-title Alpina auction showed pictures of that car's PP and the tower plates appeared ribbed or cast.

Can anyone point me in a direction to learn if this is a new and better version and worth acquiring?
    Yes, interesting about those shock tower plates...they definitely appear more rigid then the steel disks issued in the original Performance Kits.

Beyond the Valley of Z8 Madness Z-acht's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 2112 View Post

The Alpina Z8 spare parts catalogue shows all the "typical" Alpina parts, but these plates are not shown. Could it be aftermarket parts?
    Ton
    1 of the 71 original Dutch sold cars (jetblack/red)

What a great info Daniel. Thanks
    Hattat

AF77768 Topasblau / Schwarz

PP installed
    Motorsport 20" style 101 wheels
    Eisenmann catback
    Supersprint headers
    CDV removed
    Quaife LSD
    3.64 gearing