Thread: Were are the airbags?

Beyond the Valley of Z8 Madness Z-acht's Avatar

Were are the airbags?

The driver is severely injured but luckily there is no life threatening condition.

http://www.abendzeitung-muenchen.de/...4-b8ef572a6644

It was an high speed accident south of Munich where the car got from the Autobahn, hit a few trees and and iron barrier and stopped in fields.

If you see the devastating result the airbag should be deployed or do I oversee something?

Ton
    1 of the 71 original Dutch sold cars (jetblack/red)

That's so sad to see, but I can assure you that both airbags went off in my Z8 on the sad day that it met its end. It really did give its life to save ours, and I am most grateful to the engineers at BMW for making it such a good car to have a bad crash in.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

I agree that the rigid aluminium frame probably saved his life: the passenger area is sound. But it remains a concern....we are talking about Takata Airbags!
    Ton

I received a recall notice on the Takata airbag (steering wheel) for my E39 M5 well over a year ago, although the parts didn't become available to make the repair until recently. If the Z8 also has Takada airbag(s), I wonder why it isn't on the recall list.

Quote Originally Posted by boomster View Post
    I received a recall notice on the Takata airbag (steering wheel) for my E39 M5 well over a year ago, although the parts didn't become available to make the repair until recently. If the Z8 also has Takada airbag(s), I wonder why it isn't on the recall list.
    Only 2000 cars in the US?
    Ton

Small number, for sure. But as per your original post, these cars are often driven fast and some will crash. Presumably they will get to us one of these days......

Bill

Without a definitive image it's challenging for me to determine if the airbags deployed in this accident. My understanding of the Takata airbag recall is that it is related to metal fragments inadvertently being released upon deployment.

I hope the folks involved were able to walk away.
    My Best,

Ed

2002 Z8 Jet Black//Sport Red
    2012 SLS AMG Obsidian Black/Classic Red

It is hard to find "evidence" I send the photographer an email.

update: the drivers airbag was deployed!
    Ton

Quote Originally Posted by macfly View Post
    That's so sad to see, but I can assure you that both airbags went off in my Z8 on the sad day that it met its end. It really did give its life to save ours, and I am most grateful to the engineers at BMW for making it such a good car to have a bad crash in.
    Hey Andrew, did not know you had an accident. I`m sorry to hear that. Thank God you are well. Were there a passenger with you? Which z8 was it? The first or second silver or the topaz?
    Hattat

AF77768 Topasblau / Schwarz

PP installed
    Motorsport 20" style 101 wheels
    Eisenmann catback
    Supersprint headers
    CDV removed
    Quaife LSD
    3.64 gearing

Quote Originally Posted by macfly View Post
    As I witness to the event, I can attest to the fact that it was simply amazing that Andrew and Joanna walked away with just a few scratches. Simply amazing!!!!
    C.A. Cardenas (AKA Dan)
    2003 (last one?) Z8 - Hellrot / Sport Rot
    Original Owner - Munich Tourist Delivery
    -- Others --
    1988 M6 - 32K mi. - Original Owner
    1989 DINAN 750iL - 73K mi. - Original Owner
    1998 M3 - 63K mi. - Original Owner
    2015 X5 (F15) Diesel - Daily Driver

It was in the one and only Z8 I bought new, 61888, and the last one I still owned at the time, as all the others had been sold, and that was the one I was going to keep forever.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Well, you'll always have a loaner nearby! And with its new driveshaft in place, you might even get to enjoy it next time!

Quote Originally Posted by Z-acht View Post
    It is hard to find "evidence" I send the photographer an email.

update: the drivers airbag was deployed!
    Thank you Ton for confirming that the airbags were deployed because it gives us greater assurance that the safety features were working as intended in this accident.
    My Best,

Ed

2002 Z8 Jet Black//Sport Red
    2012 SLS AMG Obsidian Black/Classic Red

Must not have been a Takata airbag, as the driver did not die from shrapnel wounds!

Quote Originally Posted by EDEZ8 View Post
    Thank you Ton for confirming that the airbags were deployed because it gives us greater assurance that the safety features were working as intended in this accident.
    Yes Ed, it gave me some piece of mind too to see that in such an terrible accident everything works as it should, and that Takata airbags work as intended is a double bonus!
    Ton