Thread: Nikon D810

Nikon D810

I guess it's been a moment since I shared anything here about the cameras I'm working with, and I don't think I'd really covered my D810 despite it being my workhorse for over two years now.

The camera is really very good, but honestly it is not as solid or sturdy as I would like as it isn't a true pro camera, but more a 'prosumer' model. I am forced into taking the step down the camera ladder in my hunt for maximum resolution because the real pro cameras are not made for pros like me, but more the wedding and sports photographers of the world who don't want large, high quality, high resolution files/images because they're workflow can't handle it and their clients don't need it. For those of us who do want maximum resolution the 36MP Sony Exmore sensor at the D810's heart makes it worth taking the totally illogical step down in camera build quality and handling. On the plus side it is still a truly amazing that a camera that can equal the best files of a $75k Hasselblad H system of a very few years back, and it can be yours for under $3k.

I've taken to using only prime lenses these days, with a mix of Nikon's own 24, 85 & 300mm lenses and Sigma's insanely sharp 35 & 50mm 'Art' lenses. This fortuitous winter storm gave me good reason to put them all through their paces in one of the places that made me fall in love with California.

Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Wow Andrew! Amazingly beautiful shots! Thank you for sharing them here. I was worried the weather would ruin your trip!

Amazing shots and the scenery isn't too bad either... Where did you take these?
    Skip Hammerman

2002 BMW Z8 - Meisterschaft GT, PP installed, CDV delete
    2013 BMW X3
    2015 Porsche 911 Targa 4S

Your timing was perfect Andrew for a trip to Yosemite! Thank you for posting these incredible timeless images and for describing your rationale for choosing the Nikon D810.
    My Best,

Ed

2002 Z8 Jet Black//Sport Red
    2012 SLS AMG Obsidian Black/Classic Red

And just to show the other side of the D810's ability, here's a minute with my madly talented fiancÚ.

JHA Studio Visit from Andrew Macpherson on Vimeo.

Andrew Macpherson

Very nice. You are a lucky man, Andrew!

Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

Bill

Great video !!!
    Skip Hammerman

2002 BMW Z8 - Meisterschaft GT, PP installed, CDV delete
    2013 BMW X3
    2015 Porsche 911 Targa 4S

You two are so talented and make such a great couple. T
    p.s. Where in Yosemite is the fifth picture down. Is that the valley floor/Merced river or did you hike a little into the high country?

Thanks Ted, yes, that was on the valley floor, by the river, lovely picnic spot :-)
    Andrew Macpherson