Thread: Radio repair

Z8 Novice

Radio repair

I am a new Z8 owner, and have to say thank you to Andrew for assisting me through the process. Since completing the purchase, I have benefited from the forum by learning to use Radar Mirror to repair the bad mirror in the car, and from many comments about the radio, which inconveniently died as soon as I took delivery. I was fortunate to find another radio, but am now interested in possibly having the old one repaired. I found Gerner Electronics in Germany on the web, and they indicate that they repair these units. In fact, they tell me they will do the repair for 270 Euros, plus 29 Euros for return shipping. Does anyone have experience with this company and/or this process? I am tempted to give them a try, as I have found no source for repair in the US. Incidentally, my brother is also an owner (rpchan) and it was his passion for the Z8/Alpina that led me to my purchase. In any case, I am glad to be a part of the group!

Charlie

Hi Charlie,

I have not heard of them but I know from other EU repairers that they cannot fix the US version of the radio. I have sent them an email in german to ask if they repair the US unit and they confirmed that they can repair a US unit. US shipping is 49 Euro. They give a six month guarantee on the repair and you pay after repair.
    Ton
    1 of the 71 original Dutch sold cars (jetblack/red)

Welcome Charlie,

Just be prepared for pretty lame radio reception once you get your unit repaired. Mine will barely pull New York City radio stations, even though I live only 25 miles away. I use the CD player if I want music, and I will say the sound quality is pretty good. In any event, keep us posted on how you make out with the repair.

Best,

Bill

Hi Charlie,

Welcome to the forum! A few years ago, I tried to have my radio repaired at a local shop in my area. The only effect I saw after the repair was my wallet was a little lighter. My recollection is that BMW sells refurbished radios, so apparently somebody is performing the repairs on the defective units once returned (there was a core charge to create an incentive to return the defective radio).

Enjoy your new ride especially before winter sets in!
    My Best,

Ed

2002 Z8 Jet Black//Sport Red
    2012 SLS AMG Obsidian Black/Classic Red

Z8 Novice
    Z-acht, thanks for the confirmation. And I will proceed accordingly. And Bill, I will keep my expectations low...just have a desire to keep the car original... Thanks again to you both for the help.

Charlie

As a clarification to the "lame radio reception", the real reason for this is a very poor antenna design in the Z8, which is embedded behind the rear bumper. There is an amplifier (part#65-20-8-377-327), but a real hassle to get to, and doesn't noticeably change anything. Just one of those things that could have been better thought out.

Denis

Quote Originally Posted by boomster View Post
    Welcome Charlie,

Just be prepared for pretty lame radio reception once you get your unit repaired. Mine will barely pull New York City radio stations, even though I live only 25 miles away. I use the CD player if I want music, and I will say the sound quality is pretty good. In any event, keep us posted on how you make out with the repair.

Best,

Bill

Z8 Novice
    Hi Charlie, just curious to see if you had your radio repaired at Gerner Electronics, and wanted to see if it worked. Like many others I have the same issue and have been looking at a solution for years. I don't want to buy a different radio, I prefer original parts. Thanks in advance

Riccardo

Z8 Novice
    Ricardo, To date, I have not sent it. I still intend to as I would like to have a spare on the shelf in case of another failure. I, like you, greatly prefer the original parts... Perhaps your question will motivate me to get it done!

Charlie

Z8 Novice
    Thanks Charlie, I also may do it. If I do. I'll post the results. Thanks

Riccardo