Thread: Monterey Car Week 2017?

Monterey Car Week 2017?

We enjoyed Monterey Car Week so much in 2016, a return visit next year is under strong consideration. Knowing that it is impossible to reproduce the special moments of this year's event, is anyone else considering a return visit? With AMG's 50-year anniversary in 2017 there will be a strong presence of this brand in Monterey.
    My Best,

Ed

2002 Z8 Jet Black//Sport Red
    2012 SLS AMG Obsidian Black/Classic Red

Yep. I'll be there—although perhaps not with a Z8....

I could well be persuaded to bring my beloved SL55 :-)
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Good to know about next year's Monterey Car Week! I'd like to attend some of the events I missed including an auction or two as well as the Historic Races.
    My Best,

Ed

For BMW fans, this was THE year for the races. I do not believe I have ever seen so many 3.0CSLs on a track at one time!

A Return to The Quail Lodge

My other black/red vehicle was accepted by The Quail for showing at this year's event. Anyone else planning on attending Monterey car week this year?

My Best,

Ed

No plans as yet, but may do a swing by if a fun opportunity presents itself.
    Andrew Macpherson

If there are enough Z8ers in Monterey and interest it would be great to set up a dinner!
    My Best,

Ed

I would bring the 600 Grosser if someone were to drive me across country. If I am traveling in this car I want to be in the back seat!

Robert C. - BMW Enthusiast
    03- Alpina Z8 62141 #243/555

Great looking Mercedes, Robert. Growing up in Connecticut back in the 60's, the neighbor of one of my buddies had one of these. Unfortunately, it was too long for the garage, so the owner couldn't close his garage door!

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by RPChan View Post
    I would bring the 600 Grosser if someone were to drive me across country. If I am traveling in this car I want to be in the back seat!
    Now that's a Mercedes! If you find a driver and you want to return to our hotel of last year book a room soon!
    My Best,

Ed

The Flying Scotsman, he say: "I could well be persuaded to bring my beloved SL55 :-)"

Jesus, Andrew, don't start THAT again! I replaced the driveshaft in Nancy Drew, so this year you can slip the reins a bit. Just don't let the wee doggies fly out!

- - - Updated - - -

Of course, it has to get back from New Orleans first....

Road trip?!

Bill, Ed,

it is definitely long, wide and heavy! I have one bay at home it will fit in. Otherwise it stays at my building inside in climate control. The farthest I have driven it on a trip is 500 miles. It cruises right down the road and gets 8 miles to the gallon. Even with its 36 gallon tank that is a lot of stops between Little Rock and Monterey!

Robert C. - BMW Enthusiast
    03- Alpina Z8 62141 #243/555

mjunco1054
    I plan to be at Monterey this year again. I tried to get a room at the same hotel that Carlos got group reservations last year, but they wouldn't even quote a price until later so I made reservations at a Holiday Inn where we had stayed in the past. Parking is not covered, but there is plenty of parking. Susan and I would be open for a dinner one evening.
    Manuel
    Manuel Junco
    2001 Z8 60373 (Silver/Black)
    2001 Z8 60430 (Silver/Red)
    1976 2002
    2014 535i daily driver
    2016 M4 GTS

Well, I will be there, but not with a Z8—with any luck, Andrew will have it again!

: )

I just realized that Joanna, I and the pups will be up in Wyoming for the total eclipse of the sun this year, so won't be at Monterey. I've done Monterey around 20 times now, but I have never seen a total eclipse of the sun, so its a no competition situation :-)
    Andrew Macpherson

We will be there sponsoring the Carmel Mission Classic again this year. http://www.carmelmissionclassic.org
    ZAchterbahn
    2001 Z8

mjunco1054
    Christian,
    glad that you will be sponsoring the Carmel Mission Classic, it is a great event, very relaxed and fun.
    Manuel
    Manuel Junco
    2001 Z8 60373 (Silver/Black)
    2001 Z8 60430 (Silver/Red)
    1976 2002
    2014 535i daily driver
    2016 M4 GTS

Quote Originally Posted by macfly View Post
    I just realized that Joanna, I and the pups will be up in Wyoming for the total eclipse of the sun this year, so won't be at Monterey. I've done Monterey around 20 times now, but I have never seen a total eclipse of the sun, so its a no competition situation :-)
    I too will be in Wyoming for the Eclipse! At a dude ranch - sadly only 1 HP per person!

The Carmel Mission Classic?! With some guy in a robe trying to throw holy water on my Topaz hood?!

My car is already plenty blessed, thank you, by Saint Rosche.

Wife had me all set to go back to the Quail after Ed said he entered a car there.
    Then she remembered the 2017 Total Solar Eclipse in August! We have traveled all over the world to view them (15) So we could not blow one in the USA We will view the Eclipse in Eastern Oregon . Taking the M6. Need room for wine...
    It was super going to the Quail with you folks last year. I got a huge offer to sell my Topaz Blue Z8 a the Quail. What happened to values?? They really dropped !

I'm super excited for the eclipse too, we're gonna be in Jackson Hole, and this'll be my first eclipse of the sun!

This is a useful site for anyone wanting to know more - https://www.greatamericaneclipse.com
    Andrew Macpherson

Quote Originally Posted by macfly View Post
    I'm super excited for the eclipse too, we're gonna be in Jackson Hole, and this'll be my first eclipse of the sun!

This is a useful site for anyone wanting to know more - https://www.greatamericaneclipse.com
    Total Eclipses are quite unique. Don't spend a lot of time trying to photograph it. Get a photo from someone, who is good at taking Eclipse photos. We have seen 15 and we still do not take photos. The real die hards in our group just set the camera on a tripod and set to take multiple photos, they don not even check the camera, click the romote and enjoy the experience. Make sure you are center line. If you are interested in more info on the Eclipse and how to view PM me.
    Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by BearZ8 View Post
    Wife had me all set to go back to the Quail after Ed said he entered a car there.
    Then she remembered the 2017 Total Solar Eclipse in August! We have traveled all over the world to view them (15) So we could not blow one in the USA We will view the Eclipse in Eastern Oregon .
    Sorry to be missing you and your wife in Monterey this year, but if you want to see my car that can be arranged too
    My Best,

Ed

I am afraid if my wife sees your car, it may be expensive...but she still wants too..

Recommendations?

Is there a car auction preview one would recommend for this year's trip to Monterey? I missed out on last year's auctions and previews. I am also considering Pebble Beach on Sunday before heading home. Any other events worth considering?
    My Best,

Ed

My Monterey plans are set now with Wednesday night visiting the auction previews for RM as well as Russo and Steele. Thursday the SLS will be positioned at The Quail, followed by the event itself on Friday. Sunday will be spent with friends viewing cars at Pebble Beach before heading home. Please PM me if you would like to connect while in Monterey.
    My Best,

Ed

Sounds fantastic. Have a grand time!!
    C.A. Cardenas (AKA Dan)
    2003 (last one?) Z8 - Hellrot / Sport Rot
    Original Owner - Munich Tourist Delivery
    -- Others --
    1988 M6 - 32K mi. - Original Owner
    1989 DINAN 750iL - 73K mi. - Original Owner
    1998 M3 - 63K mi. - Original Owner
    2015 X5 (F15) Diesel - Daily Driver

Quote Originally Posted by ///M Blitz View Post
    Sounds fantastic. Have a grand time!!
    Thanks! I'll report back with a photo essay when I return home. I was hoping to meet the designer of the SLS, but Mark Fetherston will not be in Monterey. Again, last year was special spending time with Henrik Fisker and some exceptional Z8 owners.
    My Best,

Ed

Can't wait to see your pictures, we're definitely a little slow in the new photo department on the site these days!
    Andrew Macpherson

Z8 Novice
    I'll be there, staying in Carmel from Tuesday on. FYI, A couple of weeks ago, the Fireplace Inn had one room still available. I'd be interested in another group dinner as well. A couple of years ago we met at Mundaka Restaurant. The food was great, and they were very accommodating. I'd definitely suggest the place again. Please let me know if anyone else is interested and I'll see if I can set something up with them again. Jayson

Quote Originally Posted by Bhdoc View Post
    I'll be there, staying in Carmel from Tuesday on. FYI, A couple of weeks ago, the Fireplace Inn had one room still available. I'd be interested in another group dinner as well. A couple of years ago we met at Mundaka Restaurant. The food was great, and they were very accommodating. I'd definitely suggest the place again. Please let me know if anyone else is interested and I'll see if I can set something up with them again. Jayson
    I'd be interested in catching up over dinner Jayson. I'll be in Monterey Wed - Sun, and my only dinner obligation is on Friday night.
    My Best,

Ed

Z8 Novice
    I'll try for either Wednesday night or Saturday night. Ed, please let me know your preferences. And anybody else as well. I'll post the plans when I firm them up. Jayson

- - - Updated - - -

I'll try for either Wednesday night or Saturday night. Ed, please let me know your preferences. And anybody else as well. I'll post the plans when I firm them up. Jayson

Quote Originally Posted by Bhdoc View Post

- - - Updated - - -

Slight preference for Saturday night, and Wednesday works too if there are scheduling problems. Looking forward to seeing you!
    My Best,

Ed

I heard that there are several Z8's coming up at auction over the Monterey car week, so wanted to ask you guys who are going if you'll keep an eye open on the results for us.
    Andrew Macpherson

Ready for The Quail Event

Preparations for The Quail event at home are now complete for the SLS. As several of us did last year for Monterey Car Week, on the drive down I'll stop at Canepa's for viewing cars in their showroom, museum and restoration workshop. Once in Monterey, I'll complete any last minute touch ups on the car before staging at The Quail on Thursday afternoon. I have a test drive in the Acura NSX planned on Thursday too. Pictures from Monterey to follow!

Name:  Doors down_SLS.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  290.6 KB

Name:  Engine_SLS.jpg
Views: 140
Size:  220.9 KB

Name:  ED479470-D167-49F4-A8BC-120C42C6D52C.jpg
Views: 140
Size:  223.1 KB

Name:  78E60C5D-E157-4685-ACD8-FE76F0D10EC5.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  192.0 KB
    My Best,

Ed

Gorgeous, can't wait to see all your pics and hear the news!
    Andrew Macpherson

Well done as always Ed!!!!
    C.A. Cardenas (AKA Dan)
    -- Others --

Thank you Andrew and Carlos! I'm looking forward to the week ahead albeit without the excitement of last year's Z8 focused events.

Name:  IMG_4716.jpg
Views: 124
Size:  79.2 KB

Name:  Henrik and Ed.jpg
Views: 124
Size:  125.7 KB
    My Best,

Ed

Great photo!! Keep in mind that in 2019 it will be the Z8's 20th anniversary. So, I'm hoping we get to do the Quail again!
    C.A. Cardenas (AKA Dan)
    -- Others --

Quote Originally Posted by ///M Blitz View Post
    Great photo!! Keep in mind that in 2019 it will be the Z8's 20th anniversary. So, I'm hoping we get to do the Quail again!
    Let me know about getting "The Band" back together for 2019: Ed, Mark, Ted and Lead Singer/Songwriter Carlos
    My Best,

Ed

DSC Off
    Beautiful Ed! I wish I could be there at the Quail again to see your car on display. I will have to settle for pictures this time. All the best!

Quote Originally Posted by 01BlueZ8 View Post
    Beautiful Ed! I wish I could be there at the Quail again to see your car on display. I will have to settle for pictures this time. All the best!
    Next time you're in town Ken let's connect for coffee and I'll provide you with a private viewing of the SLS.
    My Best,

Ed

Z8 Happy
    Time to rent vans!
    AKA Mark from SoCal

2003 Alpina - Black/Black
    Original Owner