Thread: Gas cap door now working/Thread isn't

Gas cap door now working/Thread isn't

I went to update the Gas Cap Door thread on the Forum Problems, Solutions and Long Term Maintenance, but it appears to be broken. I am happy to report that Matt and his team at Peter Pan BMW repaired this gas cap door problem so Patrick (screenap) my passenger on the trip to Monterey will no longer be required to help me push the car
    My Best,

Ed

2002 Z8 Jet Black//Sport Red
    2012 SLS AMG Obsidian Black/Classic Red

I'm afraid I blew up the gas-cap thread!

When I discovered that I had the PERFECT SOLUTION to opening the gas flap in an emergency, I couldn't wait to upload the pictures! It's a thin plastic frosting spreader—or a miniature Slim Jim! Let's see if I can upload SMALLER images without blowing up the Interwebs:

Help please! Can you give some more detail on the where the pressure points are to apply the Slim Jim solution? Is it at 10 am as pictured? And should the pressure be applied downward (vertically), or more horizontally?

I have had my SECOND attack of the gas filler cap problem, and replacement parts are months away here in Asia. The Slim Jim solution will have to do in the meantime.

Beautiful car, the Z8, and I continue to enjoy it, but the litany of AVOIDABLE problems grows, as if the engineers were not thinking about long term ownership.

The picture pretty much shows the correct position and attack angle, Carlos. You sort of slip the blade in and wiggle it around; the latch has a small guard around it that keeps this from being as easy as loiding a lock in a cheap hotel, but it will eventually surrender. Flexibility is the key; the jimmy shouldn't be too stiff.

- - - Updated - - -

The latch is about 9:00, if the spatula in my picture is at 10:00...

Well? Did it work?

I could not find a proper slim jim alternative, and my makeshift tool did not work. After some attempts, I did not want to risk any paint damage. And then I remembered that during my last cable failure, I actually ordered 2 cables....car is fine again, thank you.

DSC Off
    Gas cap filler door not working. Slim jim alternative got it open to fill the tank as neither the in-trunk cable pull nor the electric actuator would retract the latch. Investigation required removing the rear wheel and the wheel well liner giving access to the underside of the filler port. Problem ended up being a $.75 plastic cable clip that had become brittle and broke. It holds the cable in place, secured to the body giving the correct cable length required to retract the latch. Easy fix. More problematic is ordering and picking up the part.

On three occasions, I have had my cap refuse to disengage, not the door, the cap.

It took channel locks and destroying the cap all three times to get it off.

Anybody else have this issue? Suggestions?
    2000 Red over black
    heavily modified for performance. Although, not to the level of GM's car

Quote Originally Posted by SProZ8 View Post
    More problematic is ordering and picking up the part.
    Steve, can please post the part number. I'd like to have just in case...
    C.A. Cardenas (AKA Dan)
    2003 (last one?) Z8 - Hellrot / Sport Rot
    Original Owner - Munich Tourist Delivery
    -- Others --
    1988 M6 - 32K mi. - Original Owner
    1989 DINAN 750iL - 73K mi. - Original Owner
    1998 M3 - 63K mi. - Original Owner
    2015 X5 (F15) Diesel - Daily Driver

DSC Off
    The big ticket item is $.71, part number 72-11-8-177-700 CABLE HOLDER. Small enough that you will forget where you store it.

Unfortunately, you're right. As I get older what I miss most is my short term memory.

Thank you Steve!
    C.A. Cardenas (AKA Dan)
    2003 (last one?) Z8 - Hellrot / Sport Rot
    Original Owner - Munich Tourist Delivery
    -- Others --
    1988 M6 - 32K mi. - Original Owner
    1989 DINAN 750iL - 73K mi. - Original Owner
    1998 M3 - 63K mi. - Original Owner
    2015 X5 (F15) Diesel - Daily Driver