Thread: BMW parts compatibility

Z8 Novice

Unhappy BMW parts compatibility

Hi guys - is there anyway of knowing what BMW Z8 parts are the same as a BMW M5 or 7 Series? I know that the engine is identical but are the suspension drive train, sensors etc etc the same. I really want to know but cant find anything from the internet - reason being - id love to buy one but of course as always it would boil down to costs and affordability I know that the engine is the same as M5 but if other parts can be sourced from other older BMW models it could save tons in terms of repair etc. As it would be a personal project im willing to repair but only if affordable any advice or links regarding BMW parts compatible with Z8 models would be very helpful. I know Z8's rarely come up for sale salvage and damaged but im always on the look out and you never know....................we are not all as lucky as you owner's!!!

its one of the missing links from my BMW Z collection but also the most expensive and unlikely .

Thanks guys

The engine and drive train is made of a mixed bag of 5 and 7 series (the brakes are from the fully armored 7) and those parts are pretty easy to source, but the problem with a salvage car is the soft and easily crumpled aluminum superstructure which is both incredibly hard and very costly to repair. Add to that the insane costs of the unique body parts, lights etc, and your investment will be massive, and unrecoverable. I honestly think you'd save a fortune and a ton of headaches getting one that's in the very best condition you can afford.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Z8 Novice
    thanks for responding Macfly appreciate it. I would agree with you but z8's are almost 200000! here in the UK. I wouldn't buy one if the structure was damaged but if one comes along with damage I'd be very keen to purchase. if the vast majority of mechanical parts can be sourced from other BMWs it would be an option worth pursuing in my attempt to purchase a z8. Time and space is not a problem so I'm willing to wait around to purchase parts but if as you say it would end up costing just as much I'd love to know how much parts are and which parts are interchangeable. Do you happen to know of any Web pages or parts lists that can provide this info? or is there any indication how much a z8 would cost to build generally? any further suggestions would really be helpful. thanks again Macfly

If you go into this post you can find a full break down of the car with 2003 US$ part pricing. You'll see it would cost about 500k to build a car from spares even then.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Interesting trivia: Not only are the brakes from the Security 7, that car also shared another innovation with the Z8:
    run-flat tires.

Z8 Novice
    blimey very very pricey indeed. I guess I'll wait for a lottery win then. such a shame. cheers guys