Thread: Garage Ramps

Garage Ramps

I thought people might have different solutions to the problem we have with the sedate garage (sedate because it contains a zed eight, and—oh, never mind). I have seen several devices meant to bridge the gutter, but they seemed exorbitantly expensive for what they do.

So I put my cheap-ass scrounging skills to work.

Party A has a treadmill, and beneath the treadmill is a heavy rubber pad about 3/4" thick. When we installed the treadmill and trimmed the pad, I was left with a two-by-two-foot square of this stuff.

I also have any number of scrap two-by-fours. Plus a saber saw. Or maybe it's a jigsaw. So I sat down (literally) with a piece of cardboard and a pair of scissors and traced the rough shape of the gutter. Then I transferred that shape onto a length of two-by-four, clamped it securely, and attacked it with the saber saw. Repeat eight times and I have a pile of curvilinear blocks, which I screwed to the rubber slabs.

Repeat after me: A saber saw is not a band saw. That's why the shapes are uneven, and why the sides are no longer exactly parallel. Rounding the edges on a router table helped disguise the imperfection.

There is room between the blocks for MORE blocks if the current design proves inadequate. I am sure that these things will deform when the tires roll across them, but who cares? The object is to keep the air dam from scraping on the concrete.

Beyond the Valley of Z8 Madness Z-acht's Avatar
    Very nice job!
    Ton
    1 of the 71 original Dutch sold cars (jetblack/red)

Garage Ramp Success!

So: Secret Car Club this morning, first excuse to throw Uncle Satch's Homebrew Ramps to the gutter in front of Buffy—okay, dear, come ahead slowly—and damned if the damn things didn't work perfectly! They didn't even wobble or creak or make ominous crackling noises! I was prepared to cut up a new batch o' tuba-fours to fill in the gaps between the current runners—note the brilliant engineering that would allow this addition—but now I don't think I'll bother! And they seem to work even when a tire is not centered by, say three inches one way of the other.

Damn, I'm good.

Thanks for the unique idea I'm thinking to use old tires, i'll show you upon finished.

Damn, I'm good.
    You are too good

Well, maybe not so good: While Kelly was backing the foster-child i8 over one of the ramps a bit slaunchwise, it snapped one of the screws in half. I replaced the screw using a fender washer to keep it from pulling into the rubber. Then I backed out all the other screws and re-set them with fender washers, one at a time. Thank God for electric drills!

The New Improved Gutter Ramps worked perfectly yesterday when we took Buffy out for a run, and when we put her back.