Thread: Replacement Battery Options?

Replacement Battery Options?

After driving the car a couple of days ago, I plugged it in to the battery tender. Normally, the indicator light on the tender turns green in an hour or two, but two days later, the red light is still on. I plugged a second battery tender into the car, and got the same result, so I think the battery is history.

Two questions: has anyone recently purchased a replacement battery (other than BMW branded) that had the right specifications and fit properly? And looking at the cables, how does one loosen the clamps? I know this sounds like basic car maintenance 101, but typically there is a nut and bolt that tighten the clamp. The only nut on these clamps is in a vertical orientation to the clamp, unlike any others I have seen. Thoughts?

Bill

I purchased mine form Batteries Plus for about $130-150 a few years back. I had a problem with the first one - it was replaced free and since then no issues.

Skip Hammerman

2002 BMW Z8 - Meisterschaft GT, PP installed, CDV delete
    2013 BMW X3
    2015 Porsche 911 Targa 4S

Bill, I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss the BMW battery for a few reasons; (1) my first lasted 10 years! (2) their warranty is quite good; (3) if something went wrong with it (God forbid) you have someone to go back to; (4) they're reasonably priced.

For removal:
    1. Take key out of ignition,
    2. Disconnect negative first (brown cable) and insulate it so it doesn't make contact with the pole again.
    3. Unscrew the 10mm nut on the other cable and lift up. Again, make sure to insulate it.
    4. Remove the 10mm bolt on the side holding the battery down (sticks up).
    5. Remove 10mm bolt and center metal strap.
    6. Remove battery carefully using two plastic handles.
    C.A. Cardenas (AKA Dan)
    2003 (last one?) Z8 - Hellrot / Sport Rot
    Original Owner - Munich Tourist Delivery
    -- Others --
    1988 M6 - 32K mi. - Original Owner
    1989 DINAN 750iL - 73K mi. - Original Owner
    1998 M3 - 63K mi. - Original Owner
    2015 X5 (F15) Diesel - Daily Driver

Thanks, Dan and Skip, for the guidance. Was able to get the job done without undue difficulty, everything seems to be working normally. Damn, those batteries are heavy!

Bill

Team Z8
    After many months of the car sitting idle my battery has drained past the point of revival. I've got a free replacement on order from Pelican Parts...can't say enough good things about their customer service. I've looked for free space in the battery well for a quick disconnect switch, but it's tight in there...another thing on my list of future mods.

As dumb as these things look, they are actually quite functional:

I used to be able to find them only in British sports-car shops—imagine that!—but now I find them on Amazon for eight to ten bucks...

What is better for the battery? Is it better to have it on a maintainer or to disconnect? I have been using the battery maintainer from www.batterysaver.com on all my cars for a few years with excellent results. For the Z8, I use cable that plugs into the cigarette lighter so no installation hassles. My battery is 7 years old and no issues with it yet.

Mike Miller recently addressed this issue. Disconnect the battery and it will slowly lose its charge; leave it discharged and you will slowly lose the battery. And while I buy Battery Tenders by the bucketful, my next one will be one of the smaller, slim modern units instead of the black sharp-edged box that looks like it came from Radio Shack circa 1970.

I second Satch on this. My motorcycle and collector cars are hooked up to Battery Tenders and I have consistently gotten 6-7 year out of batteries, at which point I tend to replace them out of an abundance of caution. Carter, if your battery is seven years old, it is living on borrowed time- you should think about replacing it now, before it strands you at a most inconvenient time and place.

These battery switches are great, I placed mine on the negative battery terminal and it fits neatly in the battery compartment without any issues. On top of that I use a CTEK better tender connected to the battery terminals before the switch of course. On one of my cars, the battery was replaced last in 2001. The dealer tested it a few months ago and came out with flying colors, just unbelievable. Using the tender alone is fine but if it ever gets disconnected then the switch will preserve the battery for a very long time.

The switch can also act as theft protection. When I leave my car for a while in a hotel garage or something like that, I disconnect the battery with the switch. Takes seconds and it adds some protection.
    ------------------------
    Regards,
    Bruno

2003 Stratus/Crema

DSC Off
    I replaced my sulfated BMW sourced battery recently, noting that the defunct BMW battery was white and rated at 750 CCA, cold cranking amps. BMW said that the OEM white battery is no longer available, only available in black. Battery designation is EN/DIN: H8/LN5. I checked around and the recommended battery had a much higher CCA rating. Settled for the lighter and less expensive Duralast H8-DL with 825 CCA, figuring that the Z8 doesn't spend a lot of time in the cold. Same exterior configuration and perfect fit. Even had the correct drain hole which connected easily into the through body drain. Hopefully I get 10 years out of this one.

I connect a battery tender only after it sits undriven for more that 3 weeks. Lazy! 3 weeks has sometimes turned into more is and probably why the battery lasted only 10 years.

DSC Off
    I'm not sure a battery disconnect is a good thing as this is not the dumb car of Triumph, MG era.

I think you better to use same battery from BMW, or you have to ask someone to do some diagnose jobs for your new battery.
    Your car may require a service called Battery Registration if it is different from the original.

Battery Switch

Here are photos of the battery switch installed. Fits nicely without any modifications. The CTek adapter can also be seen. I have connected it on the battery side so that I can disconnect the battery from the car with the switch and still charge the battery with the CTek tender. I like this solution as it provides belts and braces. If my tender ever gets disconnected in my absence, the battery discharge will be reduced to bare bone minimum. This is effectively the same thing as charging the battery outside of the car without the hassle of actually taking it out.

------------------------
    Regards,
    Bruno

2003 Stratus/Crema

Hey guys,

Looking to replace my battery, I am on borrowed time. I remember reading that it is best to replace the battery with an AGM type. Are the batteries listed in this thread of that type? Any recommendations on an AGM that is an exact fit replacement? Thx

Well, here's the Interstate battery that's been in Buffy for a couple of years. Meanwhile, Exide offers three different batteries for the Z8... but they're all black.
    And since we always seem to come back to storage chargers, here's my choice.

Quote Originally Posted by dkat View Post
    Hey guys,

Looking to replace my battery, I am on borrowed time. I remember reading that it is best to replace the battery with an AGM type. Are the batteries listed in this thread of that type? Any recommendations on an AGM that is an exact fit replacement? Thx
    I followed Grease Monkey's cue and about 12 years ago, I went with an Odyssey 1500 for a huge weight savings, I will get a picture up ASAP, er, maybe it was a 1200, Pictures tomorrow!
    2000 Red over black
    heavily modified for performance. Although, not to the level of GM's car

Thanks guys. I assume the Interstate is not AGM. Odyssey is? Exact fit or are modifications required?

Odyssey is AGM. It is about 60% smaller in size than the OEM battery.

I had a small block made to hold it secure with the factory over the top holding plate. Pictures tonight.
    2000 Red over black

At the time I started this thread a little over a year ago, I purchased an AutoCraft Gold battery, 900 CCA (cold cranking amps), group size 49 from Advance Auto Parts. It cost $125.72 including tax, and it fits almost perfectly. The only adjustment I made to ensure a snug fit was to cut a piece of a wooden paint stirrer about 3" long and placed it between the top of the battery and the hold-down bracket that runs across the battery. After a year, no issues.

OK, Here are the Pictures of the Odyssey PC1200 Battery.

The last picture is of the underside of the piece of ABS plastic I had machined at a machine shop for about $40. The plastic grips the side of the battery preventing side to side motion and takes up the slack under the OEM metal battery tie down strap.

I bought a piece of huge gauge Battery cable from a marine supply store that was a little beefier than the stock battery ground cable in order to add about 6" of length to accommodate the new negative post location. I reused the OEM ground cable ends. I had to solder the new cable into the OEM end clamps, which wasn't hard.

No changes to the positive side cable was needed.

2000 Red over black

2000 Red over black