Thread: StopTech Brake Kit.

StopTech Brake Kit.

StopTech's very handsome big brake kit for the Z8 (the only kit available for the OEM 18" wheels) may soon be re-released to the market. If you are interested in this excellent upgrade please contact Rob Lee at StopTech, 310 325 4799 x 106 or email him.

You can see pix of the StopTech kit here

Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Sport Button On - DSC Off
    Andrew and/or others,

I am looking into having the Stoptech brakes you have pictured installed on my Z8. If so, I am wondering what color for calipers.

Match the wheel? Black (most OEM as Andrew pointed out in another post) or Match the Topaz body color. There is a BMW tradition of matching the caliper to the body color.

The "not staying OEM" train has already left the station as I am having Supersprint headers, cats and connecting pipes and a Dinan Stage 5 chip flash done plus some other suspension stuff.

Regards,

Phil

I think on a Topaz car red would be a really nice contrast, I'm not sure about the color matched, so I'd say black would be my second choice.
    Andrew Macpherson

Andrew,

Thanks for the quick response!

I have yellow calipers on a Nero (Black) car and on a Blu Pozzi car (not sure if can mention the car brand here LOL!). They look terrific. I was just worried that a contrasting color like yellow or red on the Z8 might be too ?sporting looking? and possibly pull one?s eye away from the beauty of the Z8 (which is far more ?beautiful? than anything the other car brand makes that doesn?t have a 250 or 275 in the model number). However, you have far more experience seeing different Z8s around the world so I will take your suggestion under serious consideration. (I?ve never seen another Z8 in the flesh!).

By the way, StopTech only makes the brakes you have pictured for the front. On the back, I will be using matching StopTech rotors with the OEM calipers.

I noticed in an earlier thread (2005) that you started to put the KW coilover Suspension on your Z8 but opted instead to go the Alpina route. It seemed that part of your reasoning had to do with the strut tower deformation issue. I have the PP on my Z8 so I was planning to install the KWs. With the PP in place do you see any reason not to do that?

Regards,

Phil

I have no experience with the KW's, but absolutely love the full EU Alpina suspension set up on the Z8, it absolutely transforms the ride and the handling making the car far superior as a high performance GT, which is what I use my Z8 for.

If you keep the stock 18" rims and go with non run flat tires you could be ok, but I still wouldn't risk it on the back roads of Calofornia I love so much.
    Andrew Macpherson

Did you consider the Dinan Brembos?
    thegunguy

Z8Mania
    I think the red calipers would look great against the Topaz. Rifle, whats the difference between the stock Brembos and the Dinan Brembos?

PS- I don't see any problem mentioning other car brands.

Andrew,

I?m definitely staying with the stock wheels. As you have stated in other posts it would have been nice to have a 19? version of the stock wheel. Can you do the Alpina suspension conversion with the stock wheels? Seems like the Alpina suspension was designed for a different tire and wheel whose weights (and dimensions) are different from the stock wheels.

From my view point, the original shocks and springs are a bit soft for my driving conditions (Western PA back roads). With the PP and without the run-flats I felt that I could stiffen things up without risking the strut towers.

Gunguy,

Don?t think they will fit on stock wheels. I?m not looking to go that far anyway. I just like the feel of a bigger better brake and the look. I don?t track the car and I really don?t go very fast.

Jerry,

Hello!! I ended up with two Maranellos a 550 and a 575M with a manual transmission (only 246 of those were made). I gave up on the Barchetta ? just too odd and I have a real convertible anyway. Both cars have the modular wheels and I put the Brembo GT brakes on the 575M 19? modulars. That is a great look.

Another vote for red calipers!!

"All the best? to you Jerry!

Best Regards to all,

Phil

The biggest benefit to the Alpina suspension is you get to use the wider 20" rims, so you have more rubber on the road and a somewhat better selection of lower profile tires.

Overall I find the stock Z8 too rough riding. On the very poor back roads of CA the already over stiff and harshly damped stock set up will too easily allow the car to break traction, causing it to slither and slide on rough surfaced turns taken with speed. Oddly enough on a track where the surface is good the stock suspension is actually pretty good, it is on the poorly surfaced back roads I really enjoy where it fails.

Hope that helps.
    Andrew Macpherson

Quote Originally Posted by Thackray View Post
    Andrew and/or others,

I am looking into having the Stoptech brakes you have pictured installed on my Z8. If so, I am wondering what color for calipers.

Match the wheel? Black (most OEM as Andrew pointed out in another post) or Match the Topaz body color. There is a BMW tradition of matching the caliper to the body color.

The "not staying OEM" train has already left the station as I am having Supersprint headers, cats and connecting pipes and a Dinan Stage 5 chip flash done plus some other suspension stuff.

Regards,

Phil
    I like the stealth look for brake calibers on the Z8 so I would vote for black. But if you have a topaz car, blue could be interesting... it works well on the new M5.

The blue brakes on the new cars are a very odd color, and would clash horribly, they don't even match the roundel blue. You could have them painted to match the topaz though. Black or silver would look nice for sure, and red if you want some "pop". Photoshop it first for a preview

My understanding was that the Dinan Brembos would fit the 18" wheel, but now I can't find them to confirm this.

I'd strongly suggest NOT stiffening the suspension with KWs, even with the PP and removing the run-flats. Both of these help protect the frame quite a bit, but it's not worth risking the frame by going back the other way. While the Alpina setup is more compliant than stock, combined with shorter sway bars, it actually improves the the handling of the car while delivering a softer ride. It's a rare does it all setup, and it works fine with the 18" wheels.

On the brakes, I'm actually hesitant on red. As you mentioned in an earlier post, with the blue car the red calipers are definitely going to draw the eye versus melding with the design. That being said, I think the red will look nice, but it's not going to sit quietly in the background. Counterpoint the other way - the brakes won't show much through the thick 18" wheel anyway.

As Norcal said, BMW calipers are traditionally black, and their new blue on the M cars is really bad. It doesn't go with anything. It's like some designer thought "everyone else does red or yellow on their performance brakes - let's be different and go with a random blue that doesn't match anything in our brand suite".

I'd probably just go with black myself, as I've been having the debate myself. I like the idea of red, but I really don't want to introduce the brakes as a visual draw.
    thegunguy

Are the Alpina Springs and struts still available?
    2000 Red over black
    heavily modified for performance. Although, not to the level of GM's car

Yes, Matt at Peter Pan can get them from the Alpina folks.
    Andrew Macpherson

Z8Mania
    Hi Phil. Thats great! Congratulations on your Cavallino Rampantes!

I would like to chime in here on the Alpina suspension. I echo what everyone has said. So long as you also get a set of stiffer anti roll bars- I have the Dinan ones but they are no longer made I am told- the Alpina suspension really does give you better handling, and more comfort, and a sportier drive! Add in the Dinan camber/caster plates for another 15% of steering performance and also potentially an extra bit of shock tower protection (we can't prove it but we all suspect it). I urge you to check out these upgrades and strongly suggest you implement them.

On the color, because the stock wheels hide so much, I think the red caliper on your car would likely be fine, but it will catch your eye. I think it would pick up the red on the rear lights. Its really a personal taste thing. The safest choice would be black.

I put the Alpina 20" wheels on my car and I couldn't be happier (also the full Alpina euro suspension- you must get the euro spec!! plus the dinan sway bars and dinan camber caster plates). On the stock suspension I was finding the Z8 would feel like the suspension was "played out" on high speed sweepers on local highways- Id feel like I would be wise to back off around 80MPH. Fast enough for sure, but its nice to feel like you've got some headroom in the system. Since the switch over, Id say that sensation is now 20 mph higher. And the ride is better, and the overall feeling of the car is a bit crisper- its still not a hard core sports car feel- more of a nice GT and the steering is too slow to be a track weapon, but again, for a nice backroad on a beautiful clear day- its impossible to beat the Z8.

Im thinking of replacing my stock brakes because the rotors are beginning to warp (I'm still on my original pads!! (about 30k miles) and Im thinking of getting a brembo setup and repainting them black and then putting a Z8 logo on them in white. I think it would look real sharp.

Quote Originally Posted by Z8Mania View Post
    Im thinking of replacing my stock brakes because the rotors are beginning to warp (I'm still on my original pads!! (about 30k miles) and Im thinking of getting a brembo setup and repainting them black and then putting a Z8 logo on them in white. I think it would look real sharp.
    This is kind of where my head is right now too. I had always thought about red Brembos with our color combo, but the more I think on it, the more I would do black (slight visual improvement, but not too much).
    thegunguy

Z8Mania
    I agree with that and also our wheels- and your grill are eye catching- another thing could be too much- Im not 100% sure but it could be.

The grill actually blends quite well. If you don't know it's different, it just seems like it was meant to be, and I'd suggest that it should have been part of the original package. Look over the photo's from Cambria this weekend. Mark's black Alpina has the standard grill, but even in the wide shots, my silver gives the car the "face" that the silver cars have with their contrasting black grill. With the black grill, the front view on the black car is a bit of a blob.
    thegunguy

Can you guys remind me of the ride height changes with the Alpina arrangement?

I have Red calipers on a Blue Ford GT......look great.

I have black Brembos on my red Z8. Understated. What people notice are the huge diameter rotors.

FWIW
    2000 Red over black

Z8Mania
    Rifle, Im not arguing whether it looks good or not- I think it looks great on your car- yet I am so happy with mine that I am content to leave it be. I'm just wondering if there aren't enough elements that already grab your eye that perhaps the red calipers might be one element too many.

Attention Plantes of The Solar Federation,
    I believe the ride height on the Alpina suspension is something like 0.6" lower up front and 0.5" lower at the rear. If you add the Dinan Camber/caster plates you will add back 0.2" to the front.

Attention All Planets of The Solar Federation,

Here is one for you; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86H2XEluleI

2000 Red over black

Z8Mania
    AWESOME!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Norcal View Post
    The blue brakes on the new cars are a very odd color, and would clash horribly, they don't even match the roundel blue. You could have them painted to match the topaz though. Black or silver would look nice for sure, and red if you want some "pop". Photoshop it first for a preview
    Well the M5 caliper color matches the new Monte Carlo Blue... sort of. I didn't notice that the caliper color was not BMW blue until you guys pointed it out.

It doesn't in reality. It's a different blue than Monte Carlo.

I looked at the on in Monterey last year, and the look really odd.
    thegunguy

Rifle, Im not arguing whether it looks good or not- I think it looks great on your car- yet I am so happy with mine that I am content to leave it be. I'm just wondering if there aren't enough elements that already grab your eye that perhaps the red calipers might be one element too many.
    No worries, Jerry - didn't take it that way.

When I did the grill originally I was really worried that it would be too much and scream out, but after I put it on it instantly blended in with the whole design by giving some needed definition to the face that the other colors have. Where it really seems to work is in the group road shots at a distance. The other black cars tend to "blob" out like just any other car. With the grill, it's a "hey, that's a Z8" moment.

With the red calipers, Ian made some at-scale paper mockups in several colors when he did his roundel blue Brembos. I put the red ones behind my wheels, and they were really strong. They look good, but they definitely don't blend.
    thegunguy

Z8Mania
    Thats good feedback. I also agree about the blue M calipers. I guess they wanted trade mark M color but I would have done them in black with M logos.

Jerry,

I could never match your collection!

Thank you all for your replies.

I have decided to go with the StopTechs on the front with matching Topaz calipers, I'll match the rotors on the back (to the StopTech up front), again with matching Topaz painted (the original) calipers. Perhaps with the BMW logo on the larger front calipers. Stock wheels as stated earlier.

Best regards to all!

Phil

Z8Mania
    Seems to me you're doing really well Phil. Please post up pictures.