Thread: New tires

LLZ8

New tires

I need new tires for my Z8. I currently have Michelin Pilot Sport tires. I am considering getting Pilot Sport A/S 3 but they are not run flats and since Z8s do not have a spare tire I am concerned that I could have a problem and have to wait for a flat bed truck to take me to a tire or garage. I can also get the Bridgestone RE 960AS Pole Position tires which are run flats.
    Any comments or suggestions?

Larry
    2001/Silver/Red-Black

mjunco1054
    I went with the Bridgestones Run Flats and they work great. I live in Houston and some parts of Houston are not where you want to get a flat in a Z8.... or any other car for that matter.
    Manuel
    Manuel Junco
    2001 Z8 60373 (Silver/Black)
    2001 Z8 60430 (Silver/Red)
    1976 2002
    2014 535i daily driver
    2016 M4 GTS

Sport Button On - DSC Off
    I would go with the Run Flats. I changed my F 430 to Run Flats after being Flat bedded twice.

Joe

Nancy Drew is on Bridgestone RFs (third-gen—OEM on, like, BMW 650i?) so that I can drive her back across the country and evaluate the ride and handling.

If I were purchasing tires for my Z8 now I'd mount Michelin Pilot Super Sports because of their performance and durability. I have these tires on my 997 Turbo and find them to be superior to the Pilot Sports that I had on the 997S. Back to the Z8, I currently use BF Goodrich gForce tires recommended at the time and carry a small cigarette lighter powered pump just in case I need a little air to get home.

Many of the original owners who lived through the deformed strut tower era will tell you that the runflat tires with its extra weight added to the sidewall contributed to this problem. That was a strong consideration for me in selecting the Goodrich (non-runflat) tires before the PSS were available.
    My Best,

Ed

2002 Z8 Jet Black//Sport Red
    2012 SLS AMG Obsidian Black/Classic Red

LLZ8
    Manuel
    Which Bridgestone did you get and when?

Larry

- - - Updated - - -

What run flats did you get?

Larry
    2001/Silver/Red-Black

I think Nancy Drew is now shod in Bridgestone RE50A's, but I don't have the car here, so I can't run down and look. I may try something else (non-run-flat) on the nineteen-inch Style 89s I just bought. They're CHROMED!

By the way, I have figured out a bitchin' way to hang four wheels and tires on the wall with a bracket from Home Depot—not the cheapo pressed-steel hanger but a nifty folding two-prong unit. I'll get the SKU when I go back to buy three more.

Quote Originally Posted by Satch View Post
    By the way, I have figured out a bitchin' way to hang four wheels and tires on the wall with a bracket from Home Depot—not the cheapo pressed-steel hanger but a nifty folding two-prong unit. I'll get the SKU when I go back to buy three more.
    Satch -

Here is my Tire Rack solution - works great ($129 for the rack and $43 for the 4 totes):

Skip Hammerman

2002 BMW Z8 - Meisterschaft GT, PP installed, CDV delete
    2013 BMW X3
    2015 Porsche 911 Targa 4S

Eeew! Dude, what did you spill on the floor?!

Your hanger works okay, but I'm using wheels and tires as aesthetic elements of Garage Décor: four circular sculptures in a row, big wheel little wheel big wheel little wheel. Also, it's a two-car garage with just enough room for the cars; the Griot's rack would be too intrusive.

Nice garage Skip, and nice things in it too! ;-)
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

I went away from the RunFlats as the ride is so much better. I went with NITTO ENVO's and I am very pleased with the ride and wear. Admittedly I don't have run flats on any of my M cars and none of them have spares either. I guess I am living dangerously. I do have a spare set of tires but have not had the need to put one on.

Robert C. - BMW Enthusiast
    03- Alpina Z8 62141 #243/555

Quote Originally Posted by Satch View Post
    Eeew! Dude, what did you spill on the floor?!

Your hanger works okay, but I'm using wheels and tires as aesthetic elements of Garage Décor: four circular sculptures in a row, big wheel little wheel big wheel little wheel. Also, it's a two-car garage with just enough room for the cars; the Griot's rack would be too intrusive.
    Satch - that was a wicked industrial incident... Can't wait to see your art work - be sure to post pictures once done.

Andrew - thank you for the nice comment - the 911 is my Daily Driver (rain, shine, or snow).
    Skip Hammerman

2013 BMW X3

Z8 Happy
    Have to agree with Ed on the Super Sports. They have been incredible on the Alpina.
    AKA Mark from SoCal

2003 Alpina - Black/Black
    Original Owner

I've been without a safety net for 15 years. Switching to non-run-flats as soon as I was able... Knock on wood, I have never been stranded with a flat. Not even on my longest stint ever, aspen to the Bay Area on highway 50, accross Nevada, alone, in one sitting... In a thunder storm (1000mi)! super sports are great, but I've never had them on the z8 (they weren't available yet last time, so I got pirellis). Not a fan of those, but oh well.... Next set for sure.

DSC Off
    Looking for advice on tires; my Alpina uses 20" 255/30 in the front, 285/35 in the back. Michelin Pilot sports, and I loved them. This size front (255/30) is no longer available unless I go with other brands or P Zeros. 255/35's are available, but I am concerned that the 35 aspect ratio may change the car's stance, which I do not want to do. I'm not a fan of P Zero tires.
    Any advice? Will the '35' aspect ratio on the front change the stance noticeably? Should I look at 285/40 rear tires to keep a similar stance? Any interference issues with taller tires? Other brand suggestions? Any suggestions?
    Help please!
    Tom
    Z8LVR

Quote Originally Posted by Z8LVR View Post
    Looking for advice on tires; my Alpina uses 20" 255/30 in the front, 285/35 in the back. Michelin Pilot sports, and I loved them. This size front (255/30) is no longer available unless I go with other brands or P Zeros. 255/35's are available, but I am concerned that the 35 aspect ratio may change the car's stance, which I do not want to do. I'm not a fan of P Zero tires.
    Any advice? Will the '35' aspect ratio on the front change the stance noticeably? Should I look at 285/40 rear tires to keep a similar stance? Any interference issues with taller tires? Other brand suggestions? Any suggestions?
    Help please!
    Tom
    Z8LVR
    Why not just go with the Pilot Super Sport in the size you want? A great tire and a fantastic value!

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireS...earDiameter=20
    Skip Hammerman

2013 BMW X3

I remember you asking about the fit of the style 89 Rim a while ago. I see that you bought a set. Did you end up using 4mm spacers in the front and 2mm spacers for the rear or are you using them as is? Do you like how they fit? Can you post some photos? Thanks!
    ------------------------
    Regards,
    Bruno

2003 Stratus/Crema

Well, I don't have tires on the damn things yet, so I haven't even checked the fit. (I mean, the car's in New Jersey, so it's not like I have to get off my butt and hustle wheels and tires.) But I'll keep you posted!