Thread: Trunk closure

Z8 Novice

Trunk closure

Hello everyone, I'm a new owner and like most, I suspect, I have some questions about my car. Of immediate concern is it seems to me that my trunk lid is too hard to shut. Do the struts normally have such a strong spring load (spring, rubber, gas?) when the trunk lid is about 2" from shutting? I realize they're designed to pop it open but it just seems like way too much force to shut it. And no, there is nothing else in the way. The force is such that the left side in particular of my lid stands a bit up from the true shut line, the force of the strut is holding it up.
    Common issue or some sort of strut failure?
    Regards, Doug

Z8 Novice
    I have now started this thread in the Problems/solutions, maintenance section. I should have placed it there first, sorry for the double post.

No, it should close very easily indeed, it sounds like the hinges are out of line and binding, or something is fouling somewhere in the final push down. I would take a flashlight, and look around very carefully, and try not to force anything as the aluminum is softer than you think!
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Z8 Novice
    Thanks for your reply. I removed and inspected the struts individually and the left side has some kind of internal issue. I'll just replace it, or the pair, no damage done. Simple enough fix!
    Doug

Hey Doug, I have a set of struts that close really easily....often on my head. Would be happy to trade

So where is the best place to get new trunk struts?
    BMW Performance Package
    Brembo BBK
    Dinan stage II suspension
    Dinan Stage II software
    Eisenmann race cat back exhaust
    Qauife Torgue-biasing differential
    3.64 ratio
    20" HRE 541R wheels
    CDV valve delete
    BMW short shift
    Ultimate pedals

Z8 Novice
    Well, very strangely my strut feels fine now after messing with it. Mystery to me, but it shuts fine now and still manages to hold the lid up. There are various sources for struts in general if you know the parameters of what you have: open & closed lengths and charge pressure or such. And of coarse the proper fittings. I suspect most just go the dealer route, easiest and I've read not too frightful $$ all things considered. When in doubt I ask my higher power (Google) for help.
    Regards, Doug