Thread: Battery Tender (can't find the former thread, sorry)

Battery Tender (can't find the former thread, sorry)

So: After some discussion (which I can no longer find) of where and how to connect a Battery Tender, I soldered up a few bullet connectors and wired a couple of cars in the fleet to receive the charge directly to the battery instead of the cigarette lighter.

There had been some talk of the cigarette-lighter socket being an inappropriate point, since the Z8's frontier electronics might go slaunchwise and think the car was live. Now, I had used the lighter socket for a year with no problem, but hey—wiser people than I had presented a pretty good argument for a direct connection. So Buffy the Black Car got a bullet connector in the trunk, and all was well; the BLACK cord from the BLACK Battery Tender was thin enough that the trunk lid could be fully closed, too.

You may be wondering about the tensile strength of that wire.

Wonder no longer, friends. I can now assure you that if you start to back out of the garage without remembering to disconnect the Battery Tender—this was never a problem when the wire was draped across the front seat to the lighter socket—the wire will use the Z8 as a cleat, and even if you hear a slight noise and stop immediately, you will find the wire in two pieces. If you are lucky, the exposed wire will be on the Tender side; otherwise, if those now-bare wires come together in the trunk, I hope you have an extinguisher handy. (I do, I do.)

Short conclusion: When you wire up the battery leads, make sure you use a fused red wire to the positive terminal. Here's one now. Oh, and you can get 12-volt extension cords if you find that when you've spliced everything back together, the cord is somewhat shorter than it was.

You might also wish to print out a sign reading BATTERY TENDER and put it on your windshield when you have the damn thing hooked up. I used Arial Bold.

Ouch. What a hard lesson to learn. At least there was no damage?

My wiring setup (which is fused) has a disconnect that "should" be the point of failure, but I like the idea of a "remove before flight" precaution.

thegunguy

I have the cigarette BMW (DelTran) charger on the Z8. I have a C-Tek on another car and a Battery Tender 4-bank on some other toys. Should I be ditching the BMW charger?
    Richard Armstrong
    Alpina 134/555
    #62178 Silver // Black

Even if you want to run it directly to the battery, it's not difficult to snip off the ciggie plug and splice bullet connectors to the leads (to match the bullet connectors you attach to the battery). And you can splice a mirrored set of bullet connecters to the cig plug in order to use the original setup whenever you need to. (Pre-2007 BMWs with hot cigarette lighters.)

That's what I did. Another option is to use a female cigarette-lighter socket wired to the battery; then you don't have to change anything on the battery tender.

I connect mine to the jump points under the hood, keeping the hood down, but not fully locked. This has the advantage of leaving a box with a green light on it facing the driver at the point they're getting in.

Update: A new battery tender from Optima

Okay, so along comes Amazon Prime Day, an excuse to go through my wish list and bring a few items to the fore. I had run across the reviews of C-Tek chargers and other battery-tending or refurbishing chargers when I came across some recommendations for this one, which I added to my list some time ago and have now purchased at about 20% off:

Since I have long been a fan of Optima batteries, I figured that they might know something about battery chargers. This unit is larger (and heavier) than I expected, but at least its edges are covered in rubber, unlike the sharp metal corners of my Battery Tenders. Even better, there is a wall mount, which will allow me to hang it over the spot where the pain peeled off when my back-up alert fell off the wall (don't ask). There is a fused battery cord that looks like it has the same bullet connections as the one I have already installed. And as you can see, when they're not in use, the cords wrap neatly around the charger, where they are retained by a Velcro strap. All in all, I think this thing may turn out to be worth the price!

An update on the Optima charger

I know that there are now several threads on the same topic, but I found this one while looking for the others... so:

I thought that some might be interested in an update on the Optima charger/tender/reconditioner. I actually had a question on Amazon: whether it would work on other batteries besides Optima!

Um... yes. In fact I was so pleased with the unit that I had hooked up to Buffy that I spent FULL PRICE (Gasp! Choke!) to hook up another one to Nancy Drew.

While we were over at the 401(k) Corral putting the stupic Fiskerized car cover on Buffy (see this thread), I took a look at the Optimas just to confirm my satisfaction that they’re doing just what they’re supposed to do: maintain a float charge on large automobile batteries—and provide some indication that tells me to stop worrying.