Thread: Interesting/cool Christmas gifts?

Interesting/cool Christmas gifts?

The forum has been a little quiet lately, so I thought I would suggest a new topic to spark some dialog. With the holidays now in the rear view mirror, some of us may have acquired some interesting Z8-related items (or cool automobilia in general) to share with the group.

I'll start with the piece shown below. I recognize I am putting myself at risk of being written off as a complete whack job by acknowledging I actually purchased this (for my wife to give me for Christmas). This is a piston and connecting rod assembly from a BMW S62 motor, which, as all of you know, powers our beloved Z8 as well as the highly regarded E39 M5. As an owner of examples of both these fine vehicles, I though it was neat, although I have to confess I have not yet figured out what I am going to do with it! I got it from a guy on the M5 forum who operates a sideline business disassembling wrecked/abused E39 M5's and selling parts.

So there you go, I showed you mine, so now you show us yours!

Bill

Z8 Christmas presents

Does a car cover count?

I got a set of hand drums so I can join a drum circle, and a woolen sweater.😝
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

I received a quadcopter with a real-time HD camera. Easy to fly and good quality movies and images.

How big is the S62 piston and connecting rod assembly? Thirty-three years later I've been holding onto this piston (~3.5" X 3.5") from my long-gone TR4A.

My Best,

Ed

2002 Z8 Jet Black//Sport Red
    2012 SLS AMG Obsidian Black/Classic Red

The piston itself is approximately 3 5/8" in diameter, and 2" tall. The entire assembly is about 8 3/8" in length. What I find kind of neat is the way they snap off the bearing cap at the big end of the rod, resulting in an irregular surface whereby the rod end and the bearing cap mate together perfectly. You can see in the photo that there is an irregular break between the rod and bearing cap. Back in the "old days" the rod end and the bearing end cap would have been machined smooth, which apparently was not as precise.

As a Gearhead, I find stuff like this pretty neat, even if possessing it serves no real purpose. I completely understand you having the TR4A piston rolling around in drawer for 33 years. My guess is your wife, like mine, probably doesn't understand, but figures it to be a harmless affectation .

Bill

That is interesting about the production of the bearing cap on the connecting rod! Nearly impossible to mix end caps.

I once kept the TR4 piston in my office as a reminder of the journey when I had more time and less money. It's now in the garage within view on my workbench. My wife knows about my car obsession, and she enjoys our date nights when I take her out a special car.
    My Best,

Ed

The Guru, he say, "I got a set of hand drums so I can join a drum circle, and a woolen sweater."

A friend of mine once told me that he got a sweater for Christmas—but he really wanted a screamer or a moaner.

Old pistons, flat on top, make interesting pen holders on your office desk....

Z8 Millennial Monster hayvenhurstkid's Avatar
    A customer of mine got a new Ferrari F12.

Marty

2001 Z8
    2014 Range Rover sport Autobiography
    2013 Ford Raptor
    2011 Porsche 911 turbo S coupe

I gotta admit, that definitely beats the crap out of getting a used piston........

... or even a sweater...

Even the trailer with the viewing windows is pretty sweet!
    My Best,

Ed