Thread: Help with wheel and tire choices

Help with wheel and tire choices

Happy New Year.
    I have HRE's (pic included) on my car and over the years the lips have gotten blemishes in the clear coat. They are set up to accommodate the Brembo BBK on the car, so I prefer to keep the same wheels and just refinish even though they are not what my choice would have been style wise.
    Choices are repeat full polish, leave the lips polished and either brush the centers or powdercoat them.
    If I went with powdercoating I would probably go with gloss black to tie in top and interior of the car.
    Would love to have feedback regarding the center finish.

Secondly, the tires are in great shape but are old and I am intending to replace them while the wheels are off. I have always gone with MPSS when possible but the car is never in the wet so I am open to other tires that offer good ride, noise and performance characteristics.
    Thanks for any feedback, John

My vote is for full polish. The rims you have are attractive as-is, I'm not a fan of two-tone wheels. If you want to dial back on the bling, perhaps powdercoat the centers in silver.

Bill

I would powder coat the centers and polish the lips.

If you don't like the style you can change the face of the wheels if they are 3 piece.
    Hattat

AF77768 Topasblau / Schwarz

PP installed
    Motorsport 20" style 101 wheels
    Eisenmann catback
    Supersprint headers
    CDV removed
    Quaife LSD
    3.64 gearing

thanks for the responses. After sleeping on it, I think I am down to leaving the lips polished and either powdercoating (body color) the centers or brushing them.

Hattat, You would be correct but the 541R series is no longer supported by HRE and a whole new wheel would need to be purchased. I can have these made perfectly true and as new for a fraction of the cost of replacement.
    BMW Performance Package
    Brembo BBK
    Dinan stage II suspension
    Dinan Stage II software
    Eisenmann race cat back exhaust
    Qauife Torgue-biasing differential
    3.64 ratio
    20" HRE 541R wheels
    CDV valve delete
    BMW short shift
    Ultimate pedals

I did a search and found one very informative thread about the best procedure to get car on jackstands, but the where to jack and how to support were contradictory. Mostly about where to jack since main lift points are where the stands would need to be placed.

Anyone have actual experience?
    BMW Performance Package
    Brembo BBK
    Dinan Stage II software
    3.64 ratio
    20" HRE 541R wheels
    CDV valve delete
    BMW short shift
    Ultimate pedals

Somewhere I have a picture of the Blue Car up on jack stands with all four wheels off. I may be able to figure out where I put the stands... I know I used the standard jacking points to lift the car, but I don't remember exactly how I supported it while I ran off to have new tires mounted. You may have to rattle my chain to remind me...

As for the wheels, I have decided that the Z8 is the one car that can stand chrome wheels without looking like you make your living selling women. The retro chrome touches on the caróthe mirrors, the side gillsówould be enhanced by chrome wheels, I believe.

Or maybe I am just getting used to the chrome wheels on my Z4!

Satch, I am going to my garage on the coast tomorrow to take the wheels off for repair. If you find it, please post it up.
    I am with you on the chrome tie ins regarding the z8. I assume you mean polished which brings it down a notch from chrome, but I think the polished lips with brushed or powdercoated centers will be just right.

I have a plan, just not sure about the last jack stand. Hopefully it will come clear once I get started!!
    BMW Performance Package
    Brembo BBK
    Dinan Stage II software
    3.64 ratio
    20" HRE 541R wheels
    CDV valve delete
    BMW short shift
    Ultimate pedals

OK, thought I would share the process that worked for me today. Jacked up passenger front with race jack after driving up a small ramp to get clearance. Put stand #1 on passenger rear jack pad and blocked from wheel so front of car was high enough to get race jack under front to mid front jack pad. Lifted front a bit more and put jack #2 under drivers front jack pad. Jacked up drivers side enough to put jack stand under rear drivers pad, then used race jack to raise front enough to put the last jack stand in. All seems very secure, although I hope there are no earthquakes! :0)
    So 4 jack stands and two jacks. John
    BMW Performance Package
    Brembo BBK
    Dinan Stage II software
    3.64 ratio
    20" HRE 541R wheels
    CDV valve delete
    BMW short shift
    Ultimate pedals